General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Snow birds!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill

Jill Report 13 Jan 2010 10:51

During this cold spell with the snow...what sort of birds have been appearing on our feeders?? Would be interesting to know what part of the country also. I saw a goldcrest yesterday on my birdtable and i m in Herts.
Bit of a secret twitcher at heart!!!!

Jill

Jill Report 13 Jan 2010 11:07

The long tailed tits usually feed in groups...they like to 'stick together'..i normally get around 6 or 7 at a time. Rats can be a pest..we had a problem with them last year

Jill

Jill Report 13 Jan 2010 11:10

Can only think that these crows are probably not finding enough food in the copses and also road kill for them to come to our gardens...thats a question for Simon King!!!

Whirley

Whirley Report 13 Jan 2010 11:12

Hi Jill, I'm on the south coast and I feed the birds on a regular basis. I have a window feeder filled with nuts which the blue tits etc take, and nut hangers in the front oak tree. We get 2 greater spotted woodpeckers that visit (male and female) and 2 nut hatches. The sparrows seems to like the hangers too. I also have a bird house/table where robin(s) and male/female blackbirds and song thrushes, finches and a wagtail visit.

Jill

Jill Report 13 Jan 2010 11:50

Yes ive noticed the sparrows on the hangers too Whirley...and the redwings do like those bright berries Island...but to have a flock of them..unusual.

The crows seem a scheming bunch you have H/W/Fairy! ps will you come and do my house work?!!!

Have got a flock of moorhens at the mo ,on the green in front of house..they ve been wandering about lately,obviously cant find food on the lakes..pps.. have slight advantage...live near a small nature reserve!

Jill

Jill Report 13 Jan 2010 12:31

Just a had hawk in garden..pounced on a blackbird can you believe,and flown off with it! Never had that happen in garden

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2010 16:49

I am between Cheltenham and Gloucester. We have got several feeders in the garden and have also been putting out ground food and apples and pears. We have had regularly over the past week, Fieldfare, blackbirds (6 male all at once), starlings on the fat balls, sparrows, blue, Great and Coal tits, Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Greenfinches, wren, robin, dunnock, collard Dove, wood pigeon, black cap (pair), seagulls, jackdaw, And in the tree at the end of the garden redwings. We also had a fleeting visit from a wagtail.

Sally

Sally Report 13 Jan 2010 17:54

Hello Jill......over Christmas I had a disaster with a pair of stuffed and boned turkey legs......which ended up feeding the local feathered population......also the carcass went out later, plus fat from round the ham.......the strips of bacon which covered the turkey, left over cake, biscuits which the kiddies had taken bites out of and left......etc. etc......

Did the birds come and clear it away......did they heck......and we don't have cats anymore sadly......so no excuse there...... so in the end OH had to clear the sodden mess from the back garden.....

Then I put out bread on a tray so it would not get wet from the snow.....that stayed for 2 days, then lo and behold 6 pigeons (size of ducks round here) descended and te the lot....... I heard sounds of birds cchirping so opened a new box of weetabix and broke that up for them, not having any bread.......and it is still there.....

in answer we get black birds with orange beaks usually, loads of magpies, pigeons so fat they cannot take off easily, and gulls.....but I did see a thrush today.....haven't seen any robins recently.....

Sally

Sally Report 13 Jan 2010 17:56

btw.....live in Hemel on the outskirts farmland behind the houses opposite for miles......hence the fat pigeons......always pinching the farmers grain....