General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

re clearing pavements

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2010 12:20

Be interesting to see if the following is true if anyone does bring a claim!

And off the back of media reports warning homeowners that clearing or gritting pavements make them liable for accidents on the patch, Gloucestershire County Council has said this is not the case.

A spokesman said Government advice suggested courts would not be expected “to find individuals who clear pavements liable for injuries, provided this is done in a reasonable manner”.

Councillor Stan Waddington, the council’s cabinet member for environment, said: “We know one of the biggest concerns people have at the moment is slippery pavements.

“It is not physically possible for us to treat the county’s 1,500 miles of pavement ourselves, but we are significantly increasing the amount of salt available to the district and parish councils to treat on our behalf.

“I would also ask residents to do their bit – we’re still filling grit bins, so please use this in your neighbourhood.”

A main aim in bringing in more salt for high streets is to support county businesses and to encourage people to continue travelling into town centres.

The authority has contacted the six district councils to inform them more salt is available and to ask them to focus on town centre pavements to ensure people can access their shops.

Von

Von Report 13 Jan 2010 12:27

Ann
I do hope that the powers that be would encourage everyone to clear the pavements where they can.
I'm amazed how little has been done even at our local shops.
Surely as long as you put down some grit there can't be a problem.
I feel it would help to foster a sense of community again especially if young people could be involved.
I hope you're not snowed in
Take care
Von

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 13 Jan 2010 12:31

i was told my someone at my local education centre that was why the car park had been cordoned off and not gritted.....

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2010 12:35

We have a small amount of snow but are kept in by he thought of broken limbs from the ice under the snow!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2010 14:46

seems like not all councils are reading from the same hymn book

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 13 Jan 2010 14:51

anyway how can you access the town centre shops when you can't drive on your local road to to get to the town centre?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2010 15:17

True, we usually go by bus but the paths are too icy to walk to the bus stop.