General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Greaders result of vote Jan - feb 10 books

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2010 13:48

Below is the result. There is a clear first winner and a tie for 2nd place. I really can't be bothered (sorry) to round everyone up for a second vote so please read the winner and then one of the others. If you only read one it should be the winner unless you really are unable to get it for some reason.

Review date and next suggestion date will be 25th February Please mark this date in your diaries to save me sending PMs.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2010 13:49

Mr Timothy by Louis Bayard
Tree of Angels by Penny Sumner 1
Travels with my aunt by Graham Greene
Wild Swans by Jung Chang
P S I Love You - Cecelia Ahern 11 1
The Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan
At Risk by Patricia Cornwell. 1
Second Chances by Martina Reilly.
To The Hilt by Dick Francis 1
Daphne by Justine Picardie 1
Scarlet Feather by Maeve Binchy
The Heart of The dales by Gervase Phinn 111
The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse 111111
Those Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney

So the winner is The Winter Ghosts by Kate Moss

Two runners up are PS I Love You and
The Heart of the Dales

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 14 Jan 2010 15:13

Thanks, Ann, once again for all your hard work (Were you a sheep dog in a past existence? -with all the rounding up you have to do it would be useful!)
Pam

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2010 15:41

Would be wouldn't it? Thanks for those kind words Pammy.

I am a bit disappointed that the chosen book is only available in hardback. I like to buy the books as the library is such a hastle to get them. Actually on Amazon the book is only £5.99 so not too bad but I find hardbacks so heavy to read in bed where I do most of my reading. Also paperbacks are often available in Tesco, Asda etc. so maybe in future we could bear that in mind.

Jill in France

Jill in France Report 14 Jan 2010 18:33

Made a note of next date and already have PS I love you so will order the winner from Amazon

x Jill

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 14 Jan 2010 18:36

Thanks Ann, have made a note.

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 Jan 2010 18:51

Thanks Ann. Noted

Paula

Paula Report 14 Jan 2010 18:59

Noted Ann. Thank you.

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring

MayBlossomEmpressofSpring Report 14 Jan 2010 19:22

Once again, thanks Ann.

Persephone

Persephone Report 14 Jan 2010 20:33

Thanks Ann

I hope that those that read Kate Mosse are not disappointed. But the other two are good reads.

Perse

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2010 21:31

Perse, have you read it then? I have not been disappointed by Kate Moss yet. And everyone is supposed to read that one, it is the winner!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jan 2010 22:27

n for anyone not seen

Michelle

Michelle Report 14 Jan 2010 23:46

Got my copy of The White Ghosts from the library today, i(n paperback) so shall start on it this weekend

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 15 Jan 2010 20:45

Hi Ann, as I am now back in the land of the (GR) living (perseverance pays off with Support, I have found) I am planning to read and review with you again!

Mind you, the chosen books have so many reserves on them at our library that I have had to request CDs to play in the car so I shall be doing a lot of driving between now and the 25th Feb!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Jan 2010 21:41

It is not out in paperback in UK until November 2010.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 27 Jan 2010 18:38

I have just finished reading The Heart of the Dales

Hope to collect The Winter Ghosts from the library tomorrow.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2010 19:40

I am about to start the Hear of the Dales, have just finished The Winter Ghosts.

Michelle

Michelle Report 28 Jan 2010 00:04

I've finished The Winter Ghosts and am already a few chapters into PS I Love You