General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 14 Jan 2010 22:16

When searching the Ancestry "England & Wales, Birth Index: 1916-2005", under Family members what do you put in the Mother box?
If I put in the Mother's maiden name - nothing comes up!

I am searching for any Swales birth after 1928 where the mother's maiden name is Spence.

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 14 Jan 2010 22:20

not tried this search option but have you tried putting in her first name?

mamiddau

mamiddau Report 14 Jan 2010 22:22

I don't.......I find the less info I put in the better....It might mean a little trawling, but I feel better to have too many results than none!

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 14 Jan 2010 22:28

Julie May - unfortunately a mother's christian name is not shown on Ancestry births.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Jan 2010 22:38

Sometimes I search the names in reverse order....
ie...I would put SPENCE in the surname box, ...and perhaps a few years to limit search period.
Then I scroll past all the SPENCE results until I come to any SWALES 'hits'.

Works best with unusual names which give fewer results.

Gwyn

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 14 Jan 2010 23:07

I am looking for Swales births with the mother's maiden name of Christine V Spence

Hawthorn

Hawthorn Report 14 Jan 2010 23:24

Many thanks everyone, I appreciate your help. I'll check them out tomorrow.
BS