General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone else watching QI???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SamInKent

SamInKent Report 15 Jan 2010 20:51

?????

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 15 Jan 2010 20:52

No but I LOVE QI.......will try and catch it later xx

SamInKent

SamInKent Report 15 Jan 2010 20:53

subject is Germany

I learnt about this on there just now !!!!

Godwin's law
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike Godwin, formulator of the "law".Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies)[1][2] is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[3][2]

Godwin's Law is often cited in online discussions as a deterrent against the use of arguments in the widespread reductio ad Hitlerum form. The rule does not make any statement about whether any particular reference or comparison to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that the likelihood of such a reference or comparison arising increases as the discussion progresses. It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued[4] that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact.

Although in one of its early forms Godwin's Law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[5] the law is now applied to any threaded online discussion: electronic mailing lists, message boards, chat rooms, and more recently blog comment threads, wiki talk pages, and social networking sites.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 15 Jan 2010 20:55

I was once called a Nazi because I took Margaret Thatchers side in an online debate LOLOLOLOL xx

SamInKent

SamInKent Report 15 Jan 2010 20:56

pmsl xxx

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 15 Jan 2010 20:57

LOL it's true !!! Wasn't on here though I have to say xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jan 2010 20:58

I love it- but will watch the repeat - 'slumming it' was too good to miss