General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

You either love it or you hate it!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 17 Jan 2010 05:21

This report cracked me up!
Have a look for the 'deliberate' mistake, the clue is in the title of this thread! pmsl

Thousands of holiday leaflets sent out to homes across the country have confused Great Yarmouth with the town of Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight.

In a leaflet accompanying its main holiday brochure, Warner Leisure Hotels gave trippers an extra reason to visit Norton Grange on the island - the 2010 Maritime Festival where shanty singers apparently mingle with colourful choirs along bustling South Quay.

Unfortunately for Warners the marmite festival is happening in the Norfolk resort and not 243 miles away on the Isle of Wight.

The company's website also elevates Yarmouth on the Isle of Wight to Great Yarmouth, describing it as once the centre of the greatest herring fishery in the world.

Its festival blurb is almost word for word as it appears on Great Yarmouth's official tourist site. It describes the festival as “a riot of colour and maritime music, featuring performances, shanty groups, folk bands, choirs and brass bands, traditional tall ships, expedition vessels. A steam drifter and lifeboats will be moored on South Quay to admire and go aboard

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 17 Jan 2010 08:57

Hi Liz,
I chuckled when I saw this, I think it was on a news web page.
Can you imagine if there was a Marmite festival? lol
So much for research on the two places, don't they teach Geography in schools any more?
Sue

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jan 2010 09:09

Didn't some 'plank in Birmingham UK use a silhouette of the skyline of Birmingham Alabama on a leaflet?

It does make you wonder!

edit - here it is - it was a recycling leaflet - so presumably created by admin - and approved by management!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1044201/Birmingham-council-uses-picture-city-skyline-leaflet-encourage-civic-pride--Birmingham-Alabama.html

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 18 Jan 2010 04:45

I remember reading about the Birmingham fiasco - that was a real booboo wasn't it?

I quite like the idea of a Marmite Festival lol

Lizx