General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WELL decided that the kitchen cupboards needed so

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jan 2010 15:56

WELL been stocking up on groceries cos OH is getting a bit frail and didnt want to drive in the snow.We did manage to get out last week and did a bit of stock up but then didnt have the room to put in the food cupboard, I thought we had in the cupboard anything that was wanted but decided it need a clean and weed out!! OH MY what an eye opener its was very dirty shelves once was cleared and lots of out of date items consigned to the bin. I was able to do a clean and then refill but an a bit ashamed on what crap what being hoarded!! i dint think I was a hoarder

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Jan 2010 16:03

Horrid job Shirley. I found something lurking in the cupboard just before Christmas - an unopened custard powder tin. Best before Jun 2004!

Don't even know why it was there as we never have custard!

LOL

Jill

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jan 2010 16:27

HI
Well i found items with old prices on like 29p that would now cost over a £ plus some with very old items that were way out of date like use before OCT 1999!! I didnt think i was a hoarder but guess I am
Very liberating though to have a cupboard with only the items you now use
I chucked out things like essences and food colourings cos just dont do that type of cooking anymore

Annabel

Annabel Report 18 Jan 2010 08:46

Cleared my bathroom cupboard among the things I found

Tinya foot powder use by 1992, had belonged to a guest
6 shampoo bottles with just a little in
3 roll on deodorants a little stiff to roll
4 bottles of body wash again with just a little in
tubes of antiseptic years out of date

cheers Annabel

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 18 Jan 2010 10:14

My mum couldn't see very well and one day she got out a plastic tub of brown flour. I asked her if it was wholemeal and she looked surprised and said, no, it was white flour. One closer examination I saw it was full of jumping things; alive it was! Good job she hadn't just made us a cake.

After she died I cleared out her kitchen cupboards and had to smile at what I found.

One item was a packet of jelly that was out of date years before she lived in the flat! It had turned to liquid (not that I opened it).

Sally

Sally Report 18 Jan 2010 10:25

Don't feel too bad about it Shirley, I am sure if we cleared out cupboards there would be out of date packets and stuff in there......

When Mum passed, my Sis and I were helping Dad clear cupboards, and we joked with him for ages about the ancient tins and packets they had stored........luckily they had only moved into their bungalow 8 years before.....

Sally

Sally Report 18 Jan 2010 10:26

.......after reading Annabel's post I am off to the bathroom cabinets to check on out of date medications......