General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

COMMUNITY THREAD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 18 Jan 2010 07:12

THIS THREAD IS FOR YOU TO PUT IDEAS FOR FAMILIES
WITH CHILDREN IN MIND
FORWARD PLANNING

PLACES TO VISIT DURING SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
ON A BUDGET,OR SAY AS A GROUP CHEAPER
ENTERANCE,
SOMTIMES ADVANCE BOOKINGS SAVE MONEY

( I HAVE GR'S PERMISSION)

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 18 Jan 2010 07:15

WEYBRIDGE AREA
ENTRANCE FREE
MERCEDES-BENZ WORLD

YOU CAN PLAY IN A £75,000 CAR

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 18 Jan 2010 08:30

I think the big London museums still offer free entrance (donations asked for ).

Take a packed lunch and enjoy looking at the other famous sights whilst you're there. If the children are old enough they could read up on what they see afterwards.

It's a pity the train fare isn't free!

Birdi

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2010 08:41

When my grandsons were in their early teens we used to take them out and about with a digital camera then when we got home we let them download the photos, edit them etc, print them off then make a sort of scrap book with a write up and photos or drawings to illustrate. They really enjoyed it and when they came to stay would ask what their 'project' was. This was suitable from the age of about ten to fifteen.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 18 Jan 2010 08:55

BIRDI

MEGA TRAINS DO £1 TRAINS WILL LOOK IT UP
FOUND MEGABUS
http://www.megabus.com/uk/index.php

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 18 Jan 2010 08:57

What a great idea Ann. I'm going to make a note of that idea........eldest will love that !!!

I'm guessing youngest will want to join in too.......can't imagine what she'll take pics of though !!! Should be fun !!! xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2010 09:01

Muffy, when we started the youngest used to take pictures of cats. What I tried to do was get them to take photos of important buildings in town (the cathedral) or parts of the building eg look for gargoyles etc. You will be surprised how they soon learn tot ake photos even at an early age with a bit of guidance on holding the camera correctly. The boys used to like to go into the editing bit where they could change the photos into paintings etc.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 18 Jan 2010 09:05

ALWAYS PUT THEIR PHOTOS ON HERE
EVEN JUST FOR A DAY

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 18 Jan 2010 09:08

GET THE OLDEST MAP OF YOUR AREA
TAKE THEM ON A WALK ASK THEM TO MATCH UP
PLACES ON OLD AND NEW MAPS

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 18 Jan 2010 10:03

Thank you Dizzi

Birdi

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2010 12:04

Something else you can do with 3-5 year olds. Get an old type scrap book and find photos or take photos of all sorts of things like cows, sheep, milk containers, chickens, allotment/garden trees etc etc and stick them in either one or two on a page but enough space around for the next stage. write what they are underneath in lower case

Take other photos of milk container, eggs, vegetables, wool, apples etc etc. Now you may have to sit with them for this bit if they are very young. Get them to stick the picture in with the relevant picture it came from (i.e. eggs from chickens, milk from cows, butter/cheese from milk).

If you don't want a permanent book you can stick the pictures/photos on card and play a matching game with them.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 18 Jan 2010 13:27

http://www.aliceholt.org/index.htm
IN HAMPSHIRE
TTHIS PLACE IS EXCELENT EVEN TAKE YOUER DOGS ,OR CYCLE AROUND
HAS SMASHING PLATYGROUND
A LOT OF HISTORY TO
ASN ANCIENT ROYAL FOREST