General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TRIPLE HEART BYPASS .....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 26 Jan 2010 17:49

....................................................................................

anyone have any idea what the recovery period is as a general rule? ie when the patient may be allowed home ??

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Jan 2010 18:19

1 -2 weeks if someone I know is anything to go by. But he was in his 50's and otherwise fit, if that makes sense.

He had to take it very easy for quite a while, at least 2 months.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 26 Jan 2010 18:23

Thank you - that helps :O)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Jan 2010 18:23

will be up and taking gentle walks within 5/6 weeks,increasing daily.....no car driving for at least 6/8 weeks though..then only short journeys,,,,,,but will be encouraged to walk as often as poss and potter abou but taking rest aswell.......thats just one true case,,all differ though.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 26 Jan 2010 18:42

Ah Kay ............ yours sounds more likely given the person concerned - this could be a long wait lol

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 Jan 2010 19:07

My OH had a quadruple bypass over 20 years ago when he was only 48 and he was home within about 10 days with a recovery period of 3 months. Things have much improved since then but I thought that was pretty good at the time.

Just wheel in the common sense and keep an eye on things!! Cx.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Jan 2010 19:22

the recovery time in *general* for single,triple or quad is about the same,,,,,,,depends on the person and how quick they heal and mind set on over coming the after effects, and thier age of course ,,,,,its not a over night get better op by any means,,,

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 26 Jan 2010 19:29

Thanks everyone for your input

going by what you've all experienced, i think somewhere down the middle is going to be the case lol

edit - ooops no pun intended there *blushes*

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 26 Jan 2010 20:03

I had mine 9yrs ago when I was 66. About 14 days in hospital, allowed home and fended for myself, getting stronger gradually. We had a family tragedy which prevented me from travellin to Cardiff for aftercare. There were a lot of things I couldnt do at first, but perseverance and patience help. Such a relief not to have the angina.

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 27 Jan 2010 19:43

Nudge for more?

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 28 Jan 2010 07:42

Thanks for the nudge Jean - i wasn't on last night so i missed it.

Things aren't going quite as expected - Tues eve, discharge was expected to be this weekend - but a bad night requiring further monitoring has put that on the back boiler for now ........... and due to logistics of available care(rs) at home, discharge will be followed by 3 weeks at a convalescent home before returning 'home' home - then it's my turn :O)

badger

badger Report 28 Jan 2010 08:58

everyone is different, i was up and walking about the next day but with a lot of rest time as well,home in eight days and fully recovered in less than three months,but still have a bit of angina.
Without the op ' i wouldn't be here now ,and i am enjoying life ,able to potter on in the garden ,do decorating an drive a car.
Take you time ,and be thankfull you are able to take up a pretty normal life again .Fred.

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 29 Jan 2010 14:47

Well - there's a turn up for the books!!

He was discharged last night and is home !!!

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 29 Jan 2010 14:52

Fantastic news hun i am so pleased

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 29 Jan 2010 19:13

Dont let him try to do too much straight away, but if he is anything like me his body will tell him he is trying too hard. A tip, when out in the car, have a cushion under the seatbelt over the chest. Every little jolt will hurt, and stopping can be agony!

Whirley

Whirley Report 29 Jan 2010 19:27

Nice one McAnne, you got a ticket sorted yet then??

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 29 Jan 2010 19:43

No Whirls - had a very brief convo early - seems i'm not required now !!! :O(