General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tomorrow is National Holocaust Day

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Jan 2010 19:36

and it is something I make a point of remembering every year because if we forget what horror it was we may not notice when bigotry and prejudice gets a firmer foothold in our society.

Also I am remembering my mum who died the same day . She would be pleased to know that the NHD was instated (the year after her death ) as she was a passionate believer that it must not be forgotten.

For DM ( Queen was her favourite group )

A hand above the water
An angel reaching for the sky
Is it raining in heaven -
Do you want us to cry?

And everywhere the broken-hearted
On every lonely avenue
No-one could reach them
No-one but you

One by one
Only the Good die young
They're only flying too close to the sun
And life goes on -
Without you...

Another Tricky Situation
I get to drownin' in the Blues
And I find myself thinkin'
Well - what would you do?

Yes! - it was such an operation
Forever paying every due
Hell, you made a sensation
You found a way through

One by one
Only the Good die young
They're only flyin' too close to the sun
We'll remember -
Forever...

And now the party must be over
I guess we'll never understand
The sense of your leaving
Was in the way it was planned...

So we grace another table
And raise our glasses one more time
There's a face at the window
And i aint never, never saying goodbye...

One by one
Only the Good die young
They're only flyin' too close to the sun
Cryin' for nothing
Cryin' for no-one
No-one but you

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 27 Jan 2010 13:28

Gentle nudge please

Thank you
xx

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 27 Jan 2010 13:30

aw thinking of you hun xxx

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 27 Jan 2010 15:44

Thinking of you, Rose, and also thinking of the victims and survivors of the Holocaust. I know an old lady who lost 13 of her nearest family. BC XX

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 27 Jan 2010 22:02

TY its a day should never be forgot and as many made aware as possible

Whirley

Whirley Report 27 Jan 2010 22:04

We're watching the Discovery channel at the moment, the Relief of Belsen

FootieAngel

FootieAngel Report 27 Jan 2010 22:07

my two doing history GCSE my daughter visited the trenches (at her own request) in October she asked about the holocaust its almost like its too much to talk about yet we must its a shame more kids arn't interested

Frances in Norwich

Frances in Norwich Report 27 Jan 2010 22:36

Thank you for this reminder. We have visited Auschwitz and it is something I will always remember and the world should never forget.

Sue (Sylvia Z )

Sue (Sylvia Z ) Report 27 Jan 2010 22:54

Thinking of you Rose, ((hugs)). If only everyone could visit the Holocaust exhibtion at the Imperial War Museum, the piles of shoes make me weep.
xx

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Jan 2010 22:56

Thankyou ladies for adding :)

xx

"First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out."

Martin Niemöller

igor

igor Report 27 Jan 2010 23:28

Over the gates it says "arben macht frei" not really doe's it, i visited a couple of years ago and was sickened by mans inhumanity to man , and also believe that like Israel that this government should put this on the national curriculum and pay for schoolchildren to visit

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 27 Jan 2010 23:52

On Friday, 51 year 9 students (13-14 yr olds) and 4 teachers from the school I work at are going on a day trip to the Belgium battlefields (Ypres). It will be a very long day for them, 5.00 a.m. start, getting back around midnight but I think it will be so rewarding for them all. They have been studying the 1st and 2nd world wars since September, including the Holocaust, we had a brilliant young teacher from New Zealand who had visited some of the concentration camps in his own time and showed the classes lots of photographs and talked so passionately about his visit that the whole class listened in silence and were transfixed by the images and asked lots of relevant questions. I think it's so important that the younger generation continue to be taught about these awful events in school and I was pleased to see that our school library has an exhibition of posters in honour of National Holocaust Day.

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 28 Jan 2010 21:02

On Sunday I heard Aled Jones playing a beautiful song sung by a Jewish Choral group, I had to stop what I was doing to listen to it. That night I looked it up on YouTube and found it. Underneath where there is a space for comments, I was appalled to see not only one, but many entries full of hate andn foul language to the Jews. I felt so sad that truly not much has changed. We must never ever forget what happened, ever.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jan 2010 21:05

Chica, i have noticed a lot of comments on youtube videos, hate directed at many races, colours and creeds. Very depressing .