General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing A Farm

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 27 Jan 2010 12:07

My 3x great grandfather was born on a farm between Accrington and Haslingden in 1826. A distant cousin transcribed a diary he has with this information. What we dont know is where the axact farm is or what it was called. Does anybody know of official records which would tell me where farms were located and who they belonged to or who lived at them. Many thanks

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 27 Jan 2010 12:29

Mark

Was he not at the farm on the 1841 census?

There is the Kelly's directory for all different counties it lists the names of farmers you may find it online or ask if anyone has one on here.
I have the 1834 for Staffordshire.

Pat

Mark

Mark Report 27 Jan 2010 12:35

Thank you all for your help i will look into it with all of your suggestions. Many thanks again

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Jan 2010 12:37

There has recently been a project to transcribe the Tithe Maps.It is possible he would even be mentioned on the apportionment. Enclosure maps might help as well.

Have you had a look at the Victoria County History for Lancashire? It is available online.

You might even find a deed or something in the Lancashire Archives with his name on it.Go in through A2A.

Cheryl

Cheryl Report 27 Jan 2010 12:53

Hi,
I come from a family of farmers and although my gggrandad had a farm about 10 miles from where I live it has changed name since he had it, so bear that in mind when searching for yours. Also he had 4 sons and he was allowed by the owner of the farm to let them all farm their own part of the bigger farm, making them independant. When they left farming for what ever reason the little farms ceased to exist and went back under the name of the big farm
I first looked on google earth and located where the farm was in that village and then went and had a look around.
Just for an example, my ggrandad who was one of the sons, farmed 'park farm' and and it is now called park farm cottage, but there is no longer a park farm.
It gets confusing so if you live near to the area the local pub would be a great place to ask questions.
Good luck
Cheryl

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Jan 2010 12:59

If his father (or grandfather) owned the farm then you might be able to find a will ...

Jill

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 27 Jan 2010 13:00

My uncles farm disappeared its now the M6.

Mark

Mark Report 27 Jan 2010 13:02

Some great suggestions many thanks

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Jan 2010 13:30

And there is something called "Landowners of 1782" or something like that - and I'm not sure of the year but I think it was in the 1780s.

That gives you the landowner - anyone above 1 acre - and I believe it gives tenants as well. It was all to do with early voting rights when they were given to men who owned land.

The Record Office local to the area should have a copy in their library section - it wouldn't take long for someone to look it up so could be worth giving them a ring.

Google first though about the possible title - early voters - that sort of thing.

Jill

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 27 Jan 2010 13:34

You could google the family name/farmer and area,you never know.

Kate

Kate Report 27 Jan 2010 14:07

You could try an A-Z of Lancashire or an Ordnance Survey Map - I've got an A-Z of Lancashire that shows farms and also an OS map of Blackburn/Burnley/Accrington here if that is any help. I could try to pin a few possibles down.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2010 14:17

What was the name of the farm, Mark?

Mark

Mark Report 27 Jan 2010 14:30

That is something i am trying to find out ;)

Annina

Annina Report 27 Jan 2010 17:13

Hi Mark,just a thought, would your rellie or his parents still be on the farm in the 1851 census, if so, it should have the address on there. Failing that, it may be on his marriage cert.

Some of OHs family come from farming stock in Castle Donnington and it is well documented.

Helen in Kent

Helen in Kent Report 27 Jan 2010 21:08

Sorry Mark, misread your original post. The reason I asked is that some of my family farmed outside Accrington, although not that far back. Take a look at detail on the 1851 census, as Annina suggested - you will have to trawl through a lot but it might help.

www.rossendale-fhhs.org.uk/files/statistics.htm

Von

Von Report 27 Jan 2010 21:29

Mark
You could search the land tax records for the area. You would need to go to the records office nearest to the area in which you are searching. They give name of landowner and tenant and usually go up to c 1841 so would cover the timescale that you need.
Good Luck with the search
Von
Edit -Have you found his baptism as this might give you an address?

Mark

Mark Report 28 Jan 2010 16:20

Thanks for all your help and advive - as yet unable to find a Baptism. Going to the WDYTYA in london this year.. if i have not found it by then i am going to the Ancestry stand to ask for assistance