General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seville Oranges

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Jan 2010 15:02

I have Sevile oranges but don't know if I want to make the lot into marmalade right now. If I get the old man to juice and cut them up,could I freeze some to use later?
Should I freeze it as it is or boil it first?
Please,I know somebody on here will have gallons of knowledge about preserving.

Deanna

Deanna Report 27 Jan 2010 16:02

Sharron.... don't be daft, what do I Know about Jam making??? ;-0)
My ex MIL used to make the most delicious jams and marmalade so there was no need to learn.
NOW, my son's MIL makes the jams.... Sorry love.
Deanna X

*** Mummo ***

*** Mummo *** Report 27 Jan 2010 16:32

Oh is that all you got for your birthday, oranges...........who's been a bad girl, lol. x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Jan 2010 16:42

Lol Mummo

Aaw Sharron, just oranges. stick a candle in one of them!

Annina

Annina Report 27 Jan 2010 17:02

Hi Sharon,I would have thought that if you prepare the fruit like you said,it would be fine in the freezer without boiling,

After all, if you boil it, you may as well make your marmalade.

If you arn't sure, try googling, there is bound to be advice somewhere.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Jan 2010 18:17

Yeh,I could have a birthday Christingle service.

I was wondering if unboiled orange would keep in the freezer. I once tried freezing pumpkin to make pies later and it was a terrible disaster but now I think you can't freeze squash cooked or uncooked anyway.

I did get two jars of pickled capers for my birthday because that is what I asked for.Rather have pickles than chocolate any day.

Julia

Julia Report 27 Jan 2010 18:29

I have frozen soft fruits before, but when defrosted they have only been suitable for jams/sauces/and summer puddings. I have frozen just about everything in me time, but not oranges. Funny thing is, I would like to have a go at marmalade, but there is only me to eat it, and I have to go for a low sugar variety, because of diabetis.
Good Luck Sharron
Julia in Derbyshire

Huia

Huia Report 27 Jan 2010 18:36

Sharron, we used to get lots of grapefruit and oranges and lemons off our trees. They had to be picked before they were properly ripe or the birds/rats/possums would get at them, so they were no good for eating raw. I would cut them into chunks and put them in bags or containers in small quantities in the freezer. Then when my OH was running out of marmalade (I dont eat it) I would take a bag of bits out, thaw it, mince it, add 1 and half cups water to every cup of fruit, boil up for a while (didnt take too long, since the fruit was soft already), re-measure and add cup for cup of sugar and boil till set. It might not have won any prizes for looks (none of that finely cut stuff) but it was still perfectly edible.

Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 27 Jan 2010 18:38

On one occasion my mother in laws grape vine was running riot so we pruned it severly. I took the unripe grapes home and froze them and later made grape jelly. Very nice.

Huia.

btw, jam and jelly set better if the fruit is not too ripe.

Sharron

Sharron Report 27 Jan 2010 18:48

Thank you Lady Off the Carers thread.
I am only making it because it gives the old man a purpose.I always did wonder what he was for.
I cut them in half,he juices them on the food processor,I change the blade and he slices the peel up.I boil it,he dissolves the sugar,I boil it up and he pots it when I am not looking.
Then he rolls around the vilage distributing it to the unfortunate few who are obliged to look grateful.
Keeps him out of mischief for a while.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Jan 2010 03:58

Hi Huia, been thinking about you and love the way you did the marmalade lol

Sharron, you crack me up with your attitude, it's fantastic. How lucky your father is to have you for a daughter, never a dull moment!

Lizxx

Huia

Huia Report 28 Jan 2010 04:11

Phil used to get through large quantities of marmalade, thats why I used to mince the fruit. It would have taken far too long to make prize winning marmalade by slicing things finely.

Huia.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Jan 2010 04:28

Hi Huia, I love chunky marmalade, don't go much on the thin shredded stuff!

Off to bed in a mo,
hope all is well

hugs
Lizxxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Jan 2010 06:35

Sharron

we make Seville Orange marmalade by peeling the oranges, chopping the peel, and putting into several cups of water overnight. We then chop the fruit, put into water and soak overnight. Next day, we boil up each separately, then strain the pulp mixture and put the liquid part in with the peel.

Right ..... having described that, I can tell you that we have in the past done the preparation, and then frozen the chopped peel with water just to cover in one container and pulp just covered with water in another container.

I did that about 3 years I think ............ and twice made marmalade in a reasonable time

BUT

One frozen lot got down to the bottom of the freezer and was only discovered last year when the freezer went kaput and we had to empty it.

It had been in there since 1997

OH made marmalade from it ............. with the idea that he woudl eat it if no-one else did. People are raving about it!!!

Other friends who just chop up the oranges have also frozen them, after chopping.

We commonly buy the oranges and make the marmalade a litttle while later. We have kept them upto 6 weeks in a cool storage cupboard or in a small refrigerator. They do start to dehydrate after about 3 weeks.

sylvia