General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

i need somehelp please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emma

Emma Report 27 Jan 2010 18:19

i have the names of my nana and grandads mum and dads but dont know the year they where born ican i find out and where to look.
email if u can help

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Jan 2010 18:21

You need to find their marriage certificate. That will give you their ages and their fathers' names and occupations as well.

Jill

Stevie

Stevie Report 27 Jan 2010 21:46

Judging by Emmas' member No, she very new to GR.
She's probably doesn't realise, that she needs to come back to her thread to see the replies & is expecting e-mails to her query.

Steve
:o)

Persephone

Persephone Report 27 Jan 2010 22:03

I have pm'd Emma - hopefully she will go on Trying to Find and I have advised her to use the Tips Board as well for advice.

Norma xx

Emma

Emma Report 27 Jan 2010 22:09

someone has find most of what i was lookin for just need help with this now
Regarding Gladys Mabel Staveley's grandmother....you could ask on the Records or Tips board for a look up and then you'll find her parents and family. That will take you back another generation.

So:
Going on the fact that Elizabeth HOUGHTON is aged 71 in the 1911 Census, we can take a guess that she was born about 1840. The 1911 census tell us she was born in Weymouth Dorset, so you have some facts already.
Ask on Tips or Records Board for a look up of, say, the 1851 & 1861 Census for Elizabeth Houghton, born about 1840 , Weymouth Dorset.
That should give you her family, so you'll see who her brothers and sisters were and get her parents names.

The 1911 Census actually had a middle name for Elizabeth Houghton but it was badly written and difficult to read, it was something like Bennet or Bonnet or Rennet.
Now, there's a clue, because it isn't a 'normal' christian name, so is quite likely her mother's maiden name...anyway, it's worth bearing in mind for when you get a bit further back.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 27 Jan 2010 22:17

Emma

Your latest post is now on this board, TTF, History and Records ... and it makes no more sense on any of those boards than it does on here.

Could you just stick to one of the threads on one of the boards and explain what the connection is between the Staveleys and the Houghtons ...

But - not on this board as it moves so fast it will be off the page before you can blink. Go to TTF, History or Records and amplify one of your posts and then go and delete the other two.

Jill