General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

viewing trees?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mike69

mike69 Report 28 Jan 2010 16:21

im new to genes reunited so could some one tell me(can you look at peoples trees without sending them a message first, and if not have i just spent over £30 to sent someone a message? what else do i get for the money?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Jan 2010 16:33

You can only view trees if someone gives you access to their tree. Either you can contact them or they may contact you if they use the "search trees" button and think they have a match with someone in your tree.

Being able to post on the message boards (as you have just done) is also a benefit of being a paid member (in fact I think it's the best benefit).

Kath. x

mike69

mike69 Report 28 Jan 2010 18:48

thanks for the reply's i sorta sussed it out now its just not what i was expecting at first, but have traced some relatives although its a bit laborious looking through the records. thanks again

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jan 2010 19:06

mike, apart from the search facility , and the hotmatches ( which seem to be better for some than others) the main value of this site I have found lays in the breadth of experience and knowledge of its members , which is beyond price lol !

There is nearly always someone who can help with whatever query you may have, from look ups on the census to general knowledge of places, web sites that can help, historical background, even just an 'off the wall' idea that gives you another avenue of search.

Rose