General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 28 Jan 2010 16:56

Have 2 ancestors who passed away in 1907. My question is this ..Where would i look to see if they had a Will

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jan 2010 17:11

You could try searching the National Archive, although you will have to pay to download it (if available that way) or to have it copied and sent.

Alternatively, there is the Probate Office (Centre House I think it's called) It is on the interenet if you search for it.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 28 Jan 2010 22:48

Hi There is somewhere in York that has wills. It costs five pounds to get a copy. Unfortunately, I don't have the full address.

Reference Library also lists many wills. If you pm the details for me I can check that there is one. Just need the persons name what year they died and what part of the country they were in.

Tess

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 28 Jan 2010 22:53

Your local archives or Probate Office might have the National Probate Index - it will appear on that.

Otherwise look on the hmcourtservice website for details on how to apply. If there is a will, it will cost £5 for a copy.

There is nothing on the National Archives site for this period

Kate

Kate Report 28 Jan 2010 23:05

It might be worth trying your local records office - I found the probate index on microfiche at Preston and it covers the whole country up to a certain point (I remember my great-grandad was on it and he died in 1957), not just the area relevent to the records office.