General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mismatched Hot Matches Genes does it again .......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

xx Chelle xx

xx Chelle xx Report 28 Jan 2010 17:14

Why do i continue to pay my subs year in year out to have pages of hot matches that are not so hot ie :

Same Name

Same year

The place well thousands of miles apart !!!!!!!!

Come on Genes i dont need mismatches !!

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Jan 2010 18:23

there are. allegedly 15 million members of genes, from all over the world.
And I reckon that given a place name to spell only about 2% would get it right ,
not many people I should think actually KNOW where their ancestor was born......Hmmm "stourbridge" Wheres that? befnal green ha ha EVERY one knows that....... wogga wogga........australia? but where in australia....come on until there is a database of ALL place names you will get variations.......Peterborough........hmmm? Cambridgeshire? or Canada

Bob

xx Chelle xx

xx Chelle xx Report 28 Jan 2010 18:48

Rofl Candie Caine , ur so right ...

Bob but getting Hemel Hempsted as a match to Austrailia firstly HH is 2 words and begins with H so how does the GR puter manage to think thats right , youd think after all these years of GR doing Hot Matches youd think the software would be more up to date by now ...

Chelle

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Jan 2010 00:14

Chelle.
the point Iwas trying to make, was that genes CANT match places of birth, because of the fact that there are too many, and also that they may not be spelled the same, so Genes DOESNT bother to match places of birth, you get what comes with the name and DATE of birth..
Bob