General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fresh-sawn timber ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 29 Jan 2010 22:00

OH has been woodworking. Putting a bit of tongued and grooved in that awkward space under the stairs.

Every time I come out of the front room I get this lovely whiff of fresh-sawn timber ... Reminds me of my childhood as dad was always "messing about with wood".

Lovely

Jill

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 29 Jan 2010 22:03

Hmmmm! Mrs G

I love the smell of wood and also love working with wood...BUT!....your sentiments are definitely not reciprocated by me tonight....cos Oh has brought home lots of timber to work on his latest project which will mean he won't be in this world for at least another six months!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 29 Jan 2010 22:05

But Susan with numbers - you will be able to spend hours of time on your tree!

Rach - OK - LOL - I know, I'm daft!

Jill

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Jan 2010 22:11

I too love the smell of freshly slaughtered wood!
Even better when it's on my fire on a cold night!! LOL

What I miss a lot is a block to chop logs on. Chopping logs warms you up on a cold day and keeps you warm in the evening .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Jan 2010 22:11

The sense of smell is wonderful, it revives many memories. Linseed oil reminds me of my Dad, he used it to work into putty when he was repairing his shed window and I helped work it in. And again the smell of fresh sawdust as he was always working with wood.

Annina

Annina Report 30 Jan 2010 14:08

Does anyone remember the disgusting smell of the fish glue that our dads used when woodworking??

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 30 Jan 2010 14:14

Hi Jill - i'm right with you on this one hun lol

My dad was a carpenter by trade when he worked, so we always had summat or other going on at home.....

Now i'm lucky i can get my 'fix' daily at work if i want - i just go and have a walk round our timber warehouse lolol :O))

ps - another smell i always loved was Evostick when dad was doing some formica

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Jan 2010 14:17

My dad alwys smelt of Swarfega!

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 30 Jan 2010 15:44

The smell of freshly sawn timber is good ...

But sawdust all over the floor when oh takes his boots off is def not good!!!
(OH is a forester)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Jan 2010 15:57

Oh yes, the smell of fish glue, disgusting.

Julia

Julia Report 30 Jan 2010 16:03

My tale's the same as McAnne's. Asked dad once if he ever gor 'high' on Evo-stick, but he just said you got used to it. But I can remember the fish glue, Ann in Glos, and yes it was absolutely disgusting.
Julia in Derbyshire