General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RSPB Birdwatch this weekend!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Jan 2010 03:06

Binoculars ready for the big birdwatch

You don't have to go far to join in the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch, in fact you can make yourself a cup of tea and take a comfy seat near the window and still take art.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Has there ever been a better excuse to stay in your armchair and stare out the window, than to say you're just counting the birds in your garden?

And has there ever been a better way of involving children - whether that be your own, your grandchildren or your nieces and nephews - in the wildlife that surrounds us all and that we all too often take for granted?

The RSPB's annual Big Garden Birdwatch survey takes place on January 30 and 31 and the charity is hoping that more of you than ever before will take part.

Last year, almost 400,000 people joined in the 30th anniversary of the popular survey that provides a vital snapshot of the UK's winter garden bird population.

The annual count, which helps the RSPB monitor which bird species' populations are increasing or decreasing, started in the late 1970s, when the RSPB asked their junior membership to count the birds in their garden over the same weekend. The 'one-off ' idea was so successful that it has been a regular event since 1979.

Thirty-years later and the bird-watching public have clocked up more than three million Big Garden Birdwatch hours watching and enjoying the birds in their gardens. They have also spotted six million birds, helping reveal the winners and losers in the garden bird world.

Sarah Kelly, Big Garden Birdwatch co-ordinator, said: “We had no idea the survey would prove so popular, but it just goes from strength to strength each year.

“It's really important for us as it helps identify which bird species are in decline and which are flourishing, so we can better use our resources to help them.”

The way the survey is conducted has remained exactly the same - watch the birds in your garden for an hour and record the maximum number of each species you see at one time.

And don't be put off if you haven't got a garden - or even if you live at the top of a tower block - a piece of parkland, a local green space will do.

And you don't need to be a rugged outdoors type either. Spotting from your armchair is fine. In fact, you're likely to see more birds if you don't go into the garden and disturb them.

Taking part couldn't be easier. All you have to do is spend an hour watching and recording the maximum number of different bird species visiting your garden or local park at any one time.

You really don't need to be an expert to take part. Whether you're young or old, an expert or a beginner, it doesn't really matter. So don't worry if you can't tell your blue tits from your coal tits, as the RSPB has put together a guide to help you identify some of the UK's most popular garden birds. Just go to the website (links below) and follow the simple instructions.

And you are secure in the knowledge that your findings are helping to build up a picture of what's happen to our natives species.

So much has been learnt over the past 30 years about the birds in our gardens - not least how passionate people are about birds and wildlife.

There is a stack of data now available about house sparrows and starlings, blue tits and blackbirds. This information is invaluable to the RSPB.

Scientists can use the patterns in bird numbers to help prioritise bird conservation work. For example, they have seen that house sparrows, starlings and song thrushes really need help as fewer numbers are being spotted every year.

To take part all you need to do is watch your garden or local park for an hour on either Saturday or Sunday. Record the highest number of each species seen in your garden - not flying over - at any one time.

The best time to complete your survey is early morning as that's when birds are most active. It's also a good idea to put out a selection of foods, such as peanuts, seeds, fats and kitchen scraps, as you'll attract a greater variety of birds. Once you've completed your survey, you can submit your results online.

Some birds will return to your garden many times in the hour, so seeing the same blue tit come back 10 times does not make 10 blue tits.

Fill in the results on the counting sheet (which can be downloaded ). The RSPB will collate and publish the results in March.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Jan 2010 03:08

10 BIRDWATCHING TIPS

1. Set up your feeder or bird table near a window so you can easily see what's going on in the garden.

2. Use the RSPB Top 15 birds and A-Z of birds pages to help you identify the birds you see.

3. Birds are more active first thing in the morning, so by doing your count then you will increase the number you see.

4. Don't worry if you don't record all the birds, just note the ones you can clearly identify.

5. You don't have to have a garden - you can do the count in your local park, or if you're in a flat, put a feeder on your window and count the birds that visit.

6. Only count the highest number of birds you see at any one time.

7. The RSPB counting sheet will help you keep a tally of what you see and the pictures will help with identification.

8. Send your records in online - it's quicker and easy.

9. Try putting out a selection of foods, including peanuts, seeds, fat and kitchen scraps, which will attract different types of birds.

10. The Big Garden Birdwatch is an ideal excuse to take an hour out for yourself - make the most of it: make a cup of tea, get out the biscuits and take the phone off the hook.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

Blackbird - The male blackbird is black with a bright orange-yellow eye-ring and bill, while the female is brown.

Blue tit - A colourful mix of blue, yellow, white and green make this agile bird one of the most attractive resident garden visitors.

Chaffinch - The UK's second commonest breeding bird, chaffinches are arguably one of the most colourful of our finches.

Collared dove - Distinctive with buffy-pink plumage, black neck collar and long, white tail and with a black base, collared doves are usually seen singly or in pairs.

Dunnock - A small brown and grey bird with a slender beak, dunnocks are easily overlooked as they creep around under bushes in a mouse-like way.

Goldfinch - Goldfinches often feed in small flocks, and its twittering call, red face and black and yellow wings draw attention to it.

Great tit - Great tits are green and yellow with striking glossy black heads, white cheeks and a distinctive two-syllable song.

Greenfinch - The male greenfinch is a green bird with yellow patches on the wings, a forked tail and a stout beak, while the female is browner.

House sparrow - This noisy and gregarious bird is one of our most familiar and is affectionately recognised as being a cheeky and loveable rogue with a promiscuous nature.

Jackdaw - A small and stocky black crow, jackdaws are easy to identify with their grey head and distinctive 'jack jack' call. A social bird, you'll find them in pairs, or larger groups.

Long-tailed tit - The long-tailed tit is easily recognisable with its distinctive black, white and pink colouring, a tail that is bigger than its body, and undulating flight.

Magpie - With its noisy chattering, black and white plumage and long tail, there is nothing else quite like the magpie in the UK.

Robin - With its bright, orange-red breast, brown back and dumpy shape, robins are a familiar garden bird.

Starling - With a short tail, pointed head and triangular wings, a starling looks black at a distance but when seen closer it is very glossy with a sheen of purples and greens.

Woodpigeon - The UK's largest and commonest pigeon is mostly grey, but has distinctive white neck and wing patches that are clearly visible in flight.

MOST POPULAR BIRDS IN NORFOLK IN 2009

Blackbird

House sparrow

Starling

Woodpigeon

Collared dove

Chaffinch

Blue tit

Long tailed tit

Greenfinch

Goldfinch

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Jan 2010 08:38

Just put some food out for the birds before I go back to bed, I put some washing on earlier and want to get it hung up on hangers in the warm room before o.h. comes back from work, that way I can put it away later - it's sweaters and my clothes and if I get them done he can do his work stuff later on. I will be going up in a mo but watched two robins tucking into the softened bread I put out and a couple of female blackbirds chasing each other out of the garden, as well as some tits dashing about between the trees, too far away for me to see what colour they are. A couple of starlings came to the bird table a while ago and a male blackbird came to eat some banana I put out. Make sure you leave water out for them - there was ice on the dish but I have broken it now, not very thick but there is snow all over the garden too and out front it's all flattened with the car tyres so I hope it doesn't freeze later so it's dangerous, I am worried about falling again.
The neighbours went off an hour ago in a taxi, they have a week's holiday in Austria, their usual time for the holiday but they don't ski, just walk and relax. Not my idea of a holiday - I want warmth and a solid feeling underfoot lol

Lizxxx

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 30 Jan 2010 23:34

Dear Purple

Hello

Thank you for all the info and the hard work adding this.

I have printed it off so my family can join in.

Take care of yourself.
Very best wishes
xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Jan 2010 03:47

Ann, I put it on a separate thread so everyone could see it and maybe take part, not just those who have time to read the bird thread ! So sorry if that didn't make sense to you!

I am getting very fed up with being picked up about my threads! I am sure you could have done what you did with the Mary thread and copy it yourself Ann.

It's been widely advertised as usual so don't know why someone else didn't add it to the bird thread, I don't have time to read all the longer threads these days and this is a difficult weekend for me anyway.

Liz

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Jan 2010 03:53

Barbra, Elizabeth and others, I hope you enjoy watching out for the birds in your garden - hope they don't disappear just as you want them to perform lol

Mac, you know you love watching birds lol

Elizabeth, it wasn't hard work, I just copied and pasted the two posts from information in my local newspaper on line.

Island, thanks for adding the link info.

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Jan 2010 06:11

n

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 1 Feb 2010 08:48

Thanks for the info Liz:o)
Did mine on Saturday morning....had loads of birds this year:o)

jude:o) xx

me

me Report 1 Feb 2010 09:16

Birds in my garden to day are

Blackbird

House sparrow

Starling

Woodpigeon

Collared dove

Blue tit