General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On driving - are people less patient?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kate

Kate Report 30 Jan 2010 11:57

Just lately, I've noticed in our town that drivers generally seem to be slightly more aggressive and I wondered if it was just me?

We have a few (probably three) roundabouts in our town that, depending on the direct ion you're coming from, you have to be particularly cautious with - two because the traffic coming from the right (which you have to give way to) is coming round a bend that you cannot see round so you can't see it well in advance, and another where two roads running parallel to each other meet up and (theoretically) you can go straight on at each. And with this second one people don't indicate to say they're going straight on (which is logical in its way) so it can be hard to tell if you can go or not.

But I have noticed that it's becoming a case of woe betide you if you don't move off within about two seconds and a lot of drivers behind the one on the edge of the roundabout are getting too keen on sounding their horn because they have to wait a few seconds longer which got me wondering if it is happening everywhere or if it's just where I live? Or maybe everybody's in a rush?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 30 Jan 2010 12:07

I remember reading somewhere once about a woman who was being tooted at a roundabout - a busy one. She turned off the engine, got out of her car, went to the chap behind who was tooting and said "If you're such a good driver, you move the car across the roundabout!" or words to that effect!

Jill

Kate

Kate Report 30 Jan 2010 13:45

Thinking about it, I do wonder if sometimes (on more major junctions/roundabouts) inadequate signage is the problem. Coming back down the M58 the other night from Ormskirk, I got to the bit where it joins the M6 and also has a left only lane to go towards Wigan and I noticed that the signs telling you what lane you're supposed to be in are very close to the actual roundabout so it doesn't give unfamiliar drivers much time to get in the correct lane. (I have been in the wrong one before and had to drive quite a way round the outskirts of Wigan before I managed to turn around.)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 30 Jan 2010 14:05

I find that road signage is a bit close to roundabouts too! And the satnav just says "enter roundabout" and not until you are merrily chugging your way in with a load of other traffic does she tell you which exit you need!

If in doubt I get into the right hand land and then I just go round the roundabout until I find my exit! Can p*** off other drivers but if there's a lot of traffic what else can you do? Oh, and I DO indicate at roundabouts so they shouldn't have any doubts anyway.

Jill

Merlin

Merlin Report 30 Jan 2010 14:08

The Reason is people ( Not all of them ) forget that you should really drive your car " With Care and Consideration for other Road users" this no longer occurs,yet at one time it was an offence not to do so.Also some seem to think that what the adverts show on TV.is what your supposed to do in the car you have i/e 0 to 60 in ??? seconds. **M**.