General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HERE'S ONE FOR YOU - FRENCH KNITTING

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 30 Jan 2010 16:12

Who can remember this. Someone would knock you four small nails into the top of an empty wooden cotton reel, and using an opened out safety pin you would hook your wool over the nails. This made a 'tube' like length of knitting. I remember twirling mine into a snail, with added features sewn on, to make it look more realistic.
The reason I say this is, whilst finishing off a crochet summer cardigan, I thought I'd have a change to buttons down the front. I wanted to make a couple of 'ties' for either side. Saw a little tool in Dunelm, shaped like a caricature of a man's head, with four nails in. So bought one, and it had a tool with it, abit like a cable needle, for putting the wool over the nails.
Just finished sewing on the two ties, and added a largish bead to the ends. Looks okey, so am very pleased.
Julia in Derbyshire

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 30 Jan 2010 16:29

all my granchildren have had a plastic version of this, i have bought them as stocking fillers and even the boys have enjoyed them...lol

Jane

Jane Report 30 Jan 2010 16:43

That was Knitting Nancy Julia.I loved doing that.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 30 Jan 2010 16:56

OMG a blast from the past

stray and her brother used to do this for hours

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Jan 2010 17:07

Yes I remember, I know they still do it but not as much fun as the cotton reel and nails Lol!!! we used to do it at school too.

Helen1959

Helen1959 Report 30 Jan 2010 17:07

you can't get wooden cotten reels now. boo hoo. use to love doing this.

valinkent

valinkent Report 30 Jan 2010 17:35

This brings back memories.
xx

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 30 Jan 2010 17:38

I GOT GRANDDAUGHTER ONE FOR XMAS

Julia

Julia Report 30 Jan 2010 18:22

I thought this would evoke memories for some. I did not know that they sold these 'bobbins' or I would have bought them for my younger grand-children.
They will be bringing back darning mushrooms next. But I already have one, for display purposes only, of course.LOLOL
Julia in Derbyshire

Kay????

Kay???? Report 30 Jan 2010 18:42

oh Julia,,I have a whole basket of wooden cotton reels,they do have cotton still on them though,,,,,,plus one of them peg rugs things and a turned wooden mushroom,!!

I hated french knitting as it never seemed to grow,took ages for it to poke out the bottom,:}}}

Julia

Julia Report 30 Jan 2010 18:47

Kay???? I did not mind it. Elder sister by 6 years had to look after us at night, because dad lived on board ship, and mum worked at night in a cafe owned by the Zavaroni's. That was the way of life nearly 60 yrears ago. Off for me takeaway to be delivered. A much looked forward to treat.
Julia in Derbyshire

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 30 Jan 2010 18:53

I had the cotton reel version and did it in the playground at school. I kept changing the wool colour to make a stripy result. I can also remeber trying to stretch it to make it longer.

My grand daughter had the Dunelm one in her Christmas stocking and when I showed her how to use it she wanted to know how I knew this.

Wendy x

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 30 Jan 2010 19:39

I use my darning toadstool regularly! I stretch the material I am sewing or mending over it, it makes it easier to do hems.
The french knitting could be wound around to make purses and all manner of things, you could even make a table mat out of it.

Berona

Berona Report 30 Jan 2010 21:37

I learned how to do that when I was at school - my daughter learned it, and my grand-daughter learned it - all at school. Don't know why it's included in the school learning. We called it French Knitting. I have seen larger versions of it commercially made into woollen mats. These days, it's all done with machines!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 30 Jan 2010 22:19

It was called "corking" on this side of the pond.

I did it all the time. Never could figure out what the finished product was good for. ;) Or even when the product was finished ...

Sally

Sally Report 30 Jan 2010 23:20

Yes Julia.......my Dad would put four tacks in a wooden cotton reel and with a bodkin needle we would start going round and round, stitch beng pulled over each nail in turn........

I well remember all the pulling and prodding until the first bit came out........we used to make a catherine wheel type circle and made a small mat for the bedroom.........kept us quiet for hours.....

I tried doing one for my daughter but by then the cotton reels were on plastic.......but I did pick up a painted wooden doll with four pins for French knitting and I wish start my eldest granddaughter on this, when I can get her to sit still for 5 minutes......