General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unexpected relations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annina

Annina Report 31 Jan 2010 23:38

I have been hard at work all weekend researching my tree,and have come across something totally unexpected.

There is a strong possibility that I am blood related to my husband.

My best friend,lover,soulmate,spoiler of his stepchildren,my brats.the best grandad in the world, and lover of all our cats,turns out to be a third cousin!!

What are the chances of that?? We don't come from the same village,his near ancestors are from Leisester,Nottingham and South Derbyshire,and mine are from Sheffield,Derbyshire and anybodies guess on mothers side.

Has this happened to anyone else on here, and how did you feel?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 31 Jan 2010 23:49

I haven't done my ex's tree, but one side of my family and one side of his both come from Hampshire - and I mean generations of them, as does my grand daughter's father's family.
Must make the tree easier to do!

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 1 Feb 2010 00:50

I FOUND A LOAD OF RUSSIANS HIDING IN MY TREE

BUT CANT UNDERSTAND HOW A GIRL FROM SOHO

ENDS UP IN RUSSIA 1840

OR CAN I UNDERSTAND

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 1 Feb 2010 10:44

I have a definite instance of it in my tree, and historical evidence shows it was very common in days gone by.

If you google "cousins marrying" there is a wealth of information available about the historic, religious and medical consequences, and the myths and facts based on research in this century.

Julia

Julia Report 1 Feb 2010 10:52

Annina - it is time they re-introduced those cross border controls, and tolls, then this thing would not happen. LOLOL
Julia in Derbyshire

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Feb 2010 10:56

There is a similar thread on the General Board.

We have several on both mine and my wife's trees. Most are back in the 1800's, although my wife's second cousin and her husband are a more recent example, sharing common ancestors.

Meryl

Meryl Report 1 Feb 2010 11:05

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip are both the great, great grandchildren of HM Queen Victoria. Does that make them 3rd cousins?