General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unemployment Benefit

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Esta

Esta Report 1 Feb 2010 16:33

Hi

Can anyone advise how long unemployment benefit is paid for?

Esta

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 1 Feb 2010 16:34

Initially 6 months, then depending on your review, it can go on longer, but max a year I think.

Each case is on it's own merit.

Esta

Esta Report 1 Feb 2010 16:39

Many thanks - I think I've found the info on line - I didnt realise it was now called Job Seekers allowance.

Esta

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 1 Feb 2010 16:40

Have you become a statistic Esta?

Esta

Esta Report 1 Feb 2010 16:50

No my son (now 20) is still causing me some difficulty. He has never worked nor does he want to. He wants me to pay for a £1700 course and says he will 'contribute' towards it (he doesn't contribute to housekeepinjg or anything else). So far since leaving school he hasn't finished any course he has started and now says that he intends to do this course (you do it from home via books and the internet) whilst still on the dole (no don't hate me - both my husband, myself and my daughter all work).

I was made redundant a few years back and thought there was an upper time limit that you could claim for.

Anyway he's playing the emotional guilt trip at the moment on me and I want to be sure of my facts before I speak to him tonight. Don't you just love kids!

Esta

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Feb 2010 16:55

Esta, check with the benefits agency first , your son might get a grant for the course without losing his dole money or having the money from you...depends on the 'study time' , worth a try!

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 1 Feb 2010 16:57

Yes, they WANT you to get back to work, and offer lots of courses which they help with payment for...also lots of courses offer special concessions for those on benefits, so it's worth while looking. You shouldn't have to pay the full amount for him.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Feb 2010 16:59

have a look here perhaps

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/index.htm

If it is the Open Uni by any chance, he would probably qualify for a bursary.