General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

threads

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Farrand

Farrand Report 2 Feb 2010 00:07

Hi ,
Im not sure if i did right in deleting all my threads?
How do i send a message on community board if i have deleted my threads ?
Sorry if its a dumb question ,but im new to this.
I dont know what a thread is?

Farrand

Farrand Report 2 Feb 2010 00:10

I think i just managed it lol.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Feb 2010 00:13

A thread is what you've just begun. Someone puts a message or question on one of the message boards and other people add answers or comments. What you then have is a "thread". A single comment by someone is a "post".

Kath. x

Farrand

Farrand Report 2 Feb 2010 00:20

Thank you Kath for your reply and information.
Im sure it will take me awhile to get used to this.

Sue

Farrand

Farrand Report 2 Feb 2010 01:06

Thank you diane for welcome,it may take me a little longer than some to get used to this site but im sure i will conquer it .lol

sue

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Feb 2010 02:17

I have never understood, and still don't, why people delete threads.

If everybody deleted their threads on the trying to find boards ... there would be nothing there.

Threads/posts on this site do *not* occupy space on one's computer.

The list that shows when you click on "My threads" on the left does *not* represent material stored on your computer.

It is very frustrating to many of the "helpers" on the trying to find boards when all the work they have done goes up in a puff of smoke. Especially if the poster comes back later with more questions about the same person or family. All the info that was found has then been lost.

If your threads with all the info in them remain at this site, some day someone may do a search -- either on the site or on the internet -- and find them, and that might be how you find a long-lost distant cousin!

We all know that newbies have a hard time with this site, largely because there is no guidance offered when they pay their money. So this is just offered as some hopefully helpful explanation! ;)

Farrand

Farrand Report 2 Feb 2010 23:29

Thank you Janeycanuck for that information.
As im new to this i didnt know anything about deleting threads ,i would never have done it had i known.
I have had some nice people help me like Ann of green gable and im
unhappy to think i cannt get my threads back, i just thought it meant i would delete the conversations that were taking space up.
I will not delete in the future.

Sue

Persephone

Persephone Report 3 Feb 2010 01:10

Hello Susan,

There's all sorts of people on here and on the whole we have a great time and you make lots of new friends eh Diane?
The tips board, trying to find etc are very useful.

I'm from NZ and there are quite a few kiwis on the site and we are a fairly aimiable lot.
As they say in the restaurants when they give you a meal "enjoy"

Persey

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 3 Feb 2010 10:38

Welcome to General, Susan.... and just enjoy, we all started off and made some huge mistakes... well, some did, like me, lolol

*Wails* Diane, you deleted the Simon Cowell thread? Nooooooooo!!!

I haven't seen him for weeks, and am really suffering... I keep missing American Idol.

OOps.... sorry.... I have sinned again.... gone off topic! ;¬))

Love

Daff xxx

Farrand

Farrand Report 3 Feb 2010 15:38

Hi Karen in the desert, Persey ,Diane and Daff,

Thank you for comments and welcome.

Diane i will fit in then because im told im a litle crazy ,
Urmm or did they say "hazy" ha ha.

Susan