General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Pope

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Uggers

Uggers Report 2 Feb 2010 17:18

I do wish he'd get his own house in order before criticising our country's legislation - shouldn't he be more concerned with apologising for the sexual abuse of children by RC priests in Ireland first?

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Feb 2010 17:33

ah yes, I heard a bit about this on the radio today ( I listen to the radio when I'm painting and usually its news or debate rather than music ) ,

this is pretty much the jist of it I think?

"Religious leaders have voiced concern that the Equality Bill could force churches to employ sexually active gay people and transsexuals when hiring staff other than priests or ministers."

"Pope Benedict XVI said the bill - which could end the right of the Church to ban gay people from senior positions - "violates natural law". "

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 2 Feb 2010 17:40

Yes he should.

But I bet he wont. The church closes its eyes to the sinners within, yet preaches to ordinary people about how they should live blah blah...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against the church, and many of the beliefs, But I do think in cases such as this, the church should practise what they preach

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 2 Feb 2010 17:45

ps I would LOVE for the Equality Bill to force churches to employ Gay or transexual people.

Wouldnt it be great to wipe the smiles off their smug mushes. Although I bet during the selection process there would be other excuses why the applicants wouldnt be suitable for the job to overcome this "problem".

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 2 Feb 2010 18:03

the Pope is visiting in september
i wonder if he will pop in for a coffee lol

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Feb 2010 18:03

Well why dont he start within his own little* vatican city*......there surely would be a good reduction in the *house and dormatries and halls of residence*,!!! these men are really past their sell by date to rule within a modern day society of church goers in the RC faith,

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Feb 2010 18:06

a quote from Baroness Royall re the 'clarification ' of the Equality Bill

"A church youth worker who primarily organises sporting activities would be unlikely to be covered by the exception, but a youth worker whose key function is to teach Bible classes probably would be "

I'm going to have to think about that one for a while , but as I understand it this 'clarification' not 'change', will not make a blind bit of difference to the churches right NOT to employ someone who would , for example, say that the churches attitude to homosexuality was wrong , INSIDE the church, as a teacher / preacher ...

but they would not be able to refuse to employ someone who could well say that whilst kicking a football around....

Where is he visiting Joy?

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Feb 2010 18:08

I was going to say 'tosh' Lynda...but I left it for you lol

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Feb 2010 18:17

I saw Pope John Paul in Canterbury , Lynda ...about 1984 was it? I'm not Catholic, though my mum was brought up as, but we just decided on the spur of the moment to go and see him as we lived in Kent. There was about him a charisma certainly, that this one does not have... and the feeling in the crowd was quite something.

Ladylol Pusser Cat

Ladylol Pusser Cat Report 2 Feb 2010 19:44

Ive started going to a C of E church with one thing and another i feel i need something to believe in, doing our tree's it brings back memories of things we may have overheard as children, mine was "your a prodstent not a filthy irish catholic" i found my ancestors to have lived in ireland, i am uneducated and extremley ignorant but willing to learn? is the pope also ignorent to all the abuse within the catholic church, is that what uggers means by getting his own house in order first?, please noone take offence i only quoted what my nan had said and with my ancestors coming over to england being catholic but marrying in to prodestent families ive often wondered why my nan felt this way , i have read a story about the magdalenes launderies, im i totally off topic, xx

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 2 Feb 2010 20:03

Do not get me started on this one. I've been cross about it all day.

Gwynne

Uggers

Uggers Report 2 Feb 2010 22:08

Sorry :) I got it off my chest and then wandered off doing something else somewhere else:)

George

George Report 2 Feb 2010 22:26

I also think your right Uggers, not only the pope, but the heads of most major religions need to look inwards to see the wrong they are doing.