General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you a mastermind?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 2 Feb 2010 21:03

1. Which insects got their name from the ancient superstition that they crawl into the ears of sleeping people?

2. One of the taglines of which 2001 blockbuster film was "December 7th 1941, it was a Sunday morning"?

3. In Greek mythology what did Prometheus steal from the gods? He was punished for this by being chained to a rock where an eagle ate his constantly replenished liver.

4. Pierre is the capital of which American state?

5. What do people suffering from trichotillomania have a compulsion to do?

6. The American ambassador's London residence Winfield House was sold to the United States for $1 by which chain store heiress?

7. The "Heroic" in a Flat Major Opus 53 is one of 16 of Chopin's works in the form of which dance?

8. In women's gymnastics, the uneven bars on which swinging routines are performed are also known by what name?

9. Whose 1770 poem The Deserted Village describes the appalling effects of the enclosure acts on the rural poor?

10. Ursus Maritimus is the scientific name for which bear?

11. Le Maillon Faible is the French television version of which British quiz show?

12. The Halle Orchestra is based in which venue in Manchester?

13. A device capable of storing electricity consisting of conducting plates separated by a layer of insulating material is given what name?

14. Which Warwickshire town granted its royal prefix by Queen Victoria in 1838 claims to be the home of England's first lawn tennis club?

15. What word can mean a joint of pork, to pawn, or a German white wine?

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 2 Feb 2010 21:09

Don't read mine, do your own!

1. Which insects got their name from the ancient superstition that they crawl into the ears of sleeping people?
earwigs

2. One of the taglines of which 2001 blockbuster film was "December 7th 1941, it was a Sunday morning"?
Pearl Harbour ... uh, Harbor

3. In Greek mythology what did Prometheus steal from the gods? He was punished for this by being chained to a rock where an eagle ate his constantly replenished liver.
Fire

4. Pierre is the capital of which American state?
a Dakota

5. What do people suffering from trichotillomania have a compulsion to do?
eat something disgusting; maybe worms

6. The American ambassador's London residence Winfield House was sold to the United States for $1 by which chain store heiress?
Woolworth

7. The "Heroic" in a Flat Major Opus 53 is one of 16 of Chopin's works in the form of which dance?
The Twist

8. In women's gymnastics, the uneven bars on which swinging routines are performed are also known by what name?
Non-parallel bars. Of course.

9. Whose 1770 poem The Deserted Village describes the appalling effects of the enclosure acts on the rural poor?
I'm going to go google that because I want to know

10. Ursus Maritimus is the scientific name for which bear?
Polar

11. Le Maillon Faible is the French television version of which British quiz show?
Weakest Link

12. The Halle Orchestra is based in which venue in Manchester?
Old Trafford

13. A device capable of storing electricity consisting of conducting plates separated by a layer of insulating material is given what name?
battery

14. Which Warwickshire town granted its royal prefix by Queen Victoria in 1838 claims to be the home of England's first lawn tennis club?
Kid Derminster (she was still a kid, and it sounds German)

15. What word can mean a joint of pork, to pawn, or a German white wine?
Hock. Pardon me.

Ladylol Pusser Cat

Ladylol Pusser Cat Report 2 Feb 2010 21:10

1. EARWIGS
2 PASS
3 PASS LOL ERRRRRRRRRM WELL GOT 1 OUT OF 3 LOL

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 2 Feb 2010 21:12

SRS
WELL I KNEW THE FIRST
THEN GOT OUT THE WHITE FLAG AND SURENDERED

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 2 Feb 2010 21:13

Answers on link below if you cannot wait:

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/blog/article/398653/

Sally

Sally Report 2 Feb 2010 21:14

6. Barbara Hutton

8...Isometric bars..

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 2 Feb 2010 21:15

CANT WAIT

LOL
I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND MOST OF THE Q

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 2 Feb 2010 21:16

OH OH
HOCK

Rambling

Rambling Report 2 Feb 2010 21:23

I know without looking that The Deserted Village was written by Oliver Goldsmith...

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 2 Feb 2010 23:30

Janey, I love your answers especially the "Guessed: ones.

I think that 14 is Royal Leamington Spa

A complete guess for 7 is Polka

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256

Maz (the Royal One) in the East End 9256 Report 2 Feb 2010 23:37

1 earwig
2 pearl harboUr
3 fire
5 pull out their hair
8 asymmetric bars
11 the weakest link
13 a battery?
15 hock

xxxxxxxx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Feb 2010 00:20

Polka was my real answer, Theresa. ;) (I actually did study piano ... long ago and far away ...)

I notice I'm the only one who did answer # 12!

Mick from the Bush

Mick from the Bush Report 3 Feb 2010 08:23

Not a battery - a capacitor!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 3 Feb 2010 08:29

Saved myself a lot of time trouble and embarrassment. I answered the very first question.....

"Are you a mastermind?"

No flaming way! Thick as two short planks!!

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 3 Feb 2010 21:39

12) Old Trafford sounds okay to me, either there or Maine Road!
I thought that I was doing well knowing that they "played" in Manchester.

Have you tried doing the Twist to Chopin's Polka music, Janey?

I don't recall the tune myself, but a Polka must be quite quick.

Let's Twist again, like we did last century!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Feb 2010 21:48

Hey, I *was* doing well knowing there is such a thing as Old Trafford. (I am a weekly ManU viewer, despite myself.) I'll bet you can't name the historic venue where the Toronto Maple Leafs played! And I can't name posh music venues in my own part of the world ... because they're forever being renamed after whoever donated some more money to keep them afloat ...

Doing the twist to Chopin would be like doing the twist to anything else, for me. ;) Not got rithum. But maybe you can recommend what to dance to the Heartbeat theme? We call ours "the Heartbeat Dance", just the thing for a Friday evening after a long dull cold week, it's just that we can't agree on what it is, and as I was muttering about the other day, it's the furniture and someone's foot or eye that ends up suffering. ;)

Not that we'll have to worry much longer, I guess. This is the last year, still? I suppose they'll just kill *everybody* off at the end of this season ...

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 4 Feb 2010 07:48

I will have you know that the Heartbeat theme is especially provided as music for driving Land Rovers and should no way be ever used for anything else!!

Tut tut!!