General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Radio silence

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Len of the Chilterns

Len of the Chilterns Report 2 Feb 2010 23:03

A special meeting on the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (Seti) has warned that we are making ourselves invisible to alien life forms that may be on the search for TV and radio signals being beamed into space.

With the onward march of technology and Britain’s switch from analogue to digital, our communications are becoming increasingly satellite based. In the past we used huge ground stations that beamed signals at thousands of watts into the atmosphere, but now we use satellites that beam down towards the Earth at around 75 watts.

The assumption is that aliens are looking out for interstellar signals in the same way that we are looking out for theirs, so with an increasing radio silence due to our own efficiency we are reducing the chances of being found.

"The trouble is that we are making ourselves more and more difficult to be heard," said Dr Drake, the world’s foremost expert on the search for alien life . "We are broadcasting in much more efficient ways today and are making our signals fainter and fainter." The Guardian.

It's also an assumption that aliens would want to listen.

MargarettawasMargot

MargarettawasMargot Report 3 Feb 2010 00:26

I don't think I would worry too much,Len-they seem to be able to find us anyway.Their technology is far superior to ours-light years ahead.

Margot.

PS I will PM you.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 3 Feb 2010 00:37

wraps head in tin foil......................ah that's better !