General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SHAWL PINS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 4 Feb 2010 14:44

Has anyone seen these for sale in a shop, not on the internet. They are of various designs, some like a smallish, say 4" dagger witha decorative hilt. Abit like a dress kilt pin.
I have three garments, for knitting in my work bag in progress, and instead of having a solitary large button on them, near the neck, they have what I have now found out to be shawl pins. Possibly made of wood, or bone, but not jewelled. The garments are a bit rustic, two of them being the cable and Aran type.
Would be interested to know
Julia in Derbyshire

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Feb 2010 15:05

Maybe somewhere that sells pashminas or similar.?

We have 2 shops in town that might sell them. I'll look for you.

Gwyn

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 4 Feb 2010 15:23

Woolen shop,craft shop? Maybe the haberdashery dept in a large store. Or a fabric/curtain/blinds shop.

Marion

Annina

Annina Report 4 Feb 2010 15:26

I havn't seen any shawl pins,but they sound very much like those hair thingy's that you use to tie back long hair.

I bet that you could buy the ones that you describe in shops that sell ethnic clothing, You know the ones,they always smell of incense and sell Indian beads and such as well as clothes,

Julia

Julia Report 4 Feb 2010 15:30

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will have a look around during this week-end. And thanks Gryne for offering to look for me.
Once again, many thanks
Julia in Derbyshire

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Feb 2010 15:45

My young hairdresser had something similar on yesterday Julia, like a small kilt pin but with decorative stones on it. Although it looked as though it probably came with the cardigan shawl like garment it was on. I wonder if you might find it in Accessorize