General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I've got a new printer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 5 Feb 2010 23:06

Because I work from home with a pc system set up my my employer I have no control over the equipment I receive.
My printer had packed in so they ordered me a new one which arrived today. Great, brand spanking new Hewlett Packard printer, scanner & copier. Wouldn't fit in the space in my Argos flatpack desk unit where the older printer sat quite happily but hey - this printer has wireless capability so not a problem - stick it somewhere else in my small room. Nah, can't do that as system don't allow wireless working so it had to go next to my monitor.
Ok, start printing. The entire desk unit shakes from top to bottom & left to right. It's a flatpack for God's sake - how much wear can these joints take?
Then, I'm printing off a multi page document and it just spews everything out on to the floor because there is nothing to hold the printed paper in place once printed. I'm a woman, I like to do more than one thing at a time - print a document, have a drink, read messages on GR, go to loo whatever. But it seems that if I'm not sitting here ready to catch the paper as it prints then I'm sc****d.
Anyone else come across this problem? If I glue a piece of wood or something across my printer tray will that help?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Feb 2010 23:12

Before you resort to glueing things on - is there a slidey thing under where the paper spews out from?

On 2nd thoughts, what's the model number? Perhaps you/we can look up the specs.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 23:15

You have my printer! Yup, an HP colour printer scanner copier ...

Mine started doing that shake-the-earth routine after I'd had it a while, and then just stopped. Sort of side-to-side quaking? I don't know what caused it to start or stop. You could try pummelling it gently. Seriously, mine did just pitch a fit for a day or two after I'd had it quite some time, and hasn't done it since.

The paper-spewing -- I think you don't have the paper tray working right. I did that too, yes I did.

There is a slidey thing on the paper-output tray that you have to slide into place, with a lip that catches the paper on its way out.

But first ... you have to put the tray in right side up ...

I say that not because I think you're an idiot, but because I plainly am. I had the tray in upside down for some time.

So, I may not have helped you, I may have just exposed myself as fairly stupid. But in case you operate at the same speed, I offer my experience. ;0

edit - on a more serious note, because mine does still vibrate rather excessively - consider sticking it on some foam rubber maybe?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Feb 2010 23:22

You may need some of JaneyC's 2 x 4's to use as cross members to reinforce the desk :¬)

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 5 Feb 2010 23:28

Hiya DET & Janey, have rummaged around after your messages and have found the slide out bit that holds paper in place after printing. All I have to do now is stop the earth moving when I print stuff out. It's a HP Photosmart series C309 but if it's the only way I can make the earth move for me then maybe I should stick with it? (lol)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 23:37

You'll have Moonchild showing up whining about not getting any ravages if you don't watch out. ;)

(East Enders thread, such whining ...)

So welcome to idiotdom than!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Feb 2010 23:37

Lol! Oh suggests to reinforce your desk, fix wood as additonal braces either as an X or as a horizontal bar,low down, depending on the design. I think I've seen contiblocks used,

He is getting all huffy because I can't be specific about the design! Lol!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 5 Feb 2010 23:39

Do feel free to come and dismantle my elderly back deck and help yourself to as many of those cedar 2x4s as may seem necessary, for cross-bracing ... or smiting DET's OH ...

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Feb 2010 23:46

He'd probably grab them off me and make them into something 'useful' !