General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Black Watch

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 6 Feb 2010 16:37

I am looking for infromation regarding John Stephen who was born approx 1876 in Ireland or Scotland, he became a member of the Black Watch (Seargent Paymaster) and was in Mauritius round about the time of the Boer War, he married Mary Duncan from Ireland.

Their children were; Mary, Dod, Steven & Constance my Grandmother who was born in Camp Kirkcaldy in Mauritius approx 1896.

Has anyone got any information on the Black Watch? Or know where I could find information?

Thanks
Lawrence McLeod (Cape Town South Africa)

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 6 Feb 2010 16:58

Could he have gone on to serve in WW1? If so, his records may be on the Ancestry website, although lots didn't survive. If he didn't serve in WW1 any records would be held at the National Archives in Kew - not online though, you'd have to get someone to go for you.

The Regimental Musuem should be able to give you an idea of what the regiment was involved in but they are very unlikely to have any personal information on him.

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 7 Feb 2010 13:25

Hi Annielaurie,

Tried to thank you in a previous post, however through inadvertently pressing the request review button, I reported you as abusive instead - Now I need to appologise and thank you.

Apart from the avenues you so kindly provided - I found that the Black Watch also have archives from which a person can request information
mailto:[email protected]

Deanna

Deanna Report 7 Feb 2010 16:48

Hi Lawrence, My father was a regular soldier in the BLACK WATCH, and I am trying to put together some of his exploits too.
My father was mentioned in Dispatches in WW11 and I want to find out exactly what for.
A friend of my father gave me this address and told me to contact them, tell them who he was, and they would help me.

I hope they can help you .

The BLACK WATCH has a museum at;

RHQ. THE BLACK WATCH,
BALHOUSIE CASTLE,
HAY ST. PERTH,
PHI 5HR
tel:0131 310 8530
fax: 10738 643245

Even if they themselves cannot help, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Deanna X