General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone tell me why??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 7 Feb 2010 00:00

...............we renewed the car insurances whilst OH was unemployed. Phoned today to fill them in on change of circumstances and they want to charge us £120 EXTRA (between both of the policies)now that he's in work !!!!!!!!

How does that work !!!....We cancelled both policies and went elsewhere.......got a BETTER deal as it happens........but that just makes ZERO sense to me !!!

ALSO Why oh why do the council imagine I'll be able to magic up the £216 they want before 15th Feb now where off the council tax relief....tbh who on earth WOULD be able to do it....when we've been living on £100 a week for the last couple of months and he won't be paid til the end of FEB????

Jeeeeeeeeeeeze.I don't get it atll !!

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 7 Feb 2010 00:03

I thought you should get a further four weeks of council tax benefit to help you over that first month?

I'd check that out if I were you....

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 7 Feb 2010 00:05

Nope.......I checked TW. They gave me a refund when we first claimed and the payment they're after is a part payment towards that lol.

They'll get it when I bl**dy have it. Mortgage has to be paid before them !! x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Feb 2010 00:10

We've been in the same boat as regards car insurance.

The company we usually insure with withdrew their quote. I could have spat blood! Did they think that a middle aged 'proffessional' man was going to change his style of driving just because he was without a job? We ended paying the same premium but with a higher excess with a different company.

It will be interesting to see what quotes we get this year now he has 'casual' work.

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 7 Feb 2010 00:10

That's a bit naughty, that refund should have been for overpayment up to the time you claimed, retrospectively, not for what you MIGHT overpay.

Well I'm sure they'd let you spread it over next year's if you pay by direct debit, they did me when they cocked up badly when I first moved to Norwich, even though they said it wasn't their cock-up.

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 7 Feb 2010 00:12

Because it was a new policy DET we managed to cancel quite easily because it was before the 28 days deadline.

I just don't understand how on earth do they reach these conclusions !!!!

Loathe dealing with ins companies........license to print money imho....and they'd void your insurance for sneezing if they could insert the loophole !!! xx

Muffyxx

Muffyxx Report 7 Feb 2010 00:16

I pay quite high council tax for where I live. TW..........so it's kind of one payment and a half on top of that......which isn't the end of the world....BUT it's going to take us a good few months to straighten ourselves out I think !!

I'll phone them on Monday and explain the situation. They can't have what I haven't got.....but a months grace or the option of spreading payment would've been more than helpful xx

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 7 Feb 2010 00:19

I've always thought that insurance was a legalised scam.

Years ago, my then husband and I took out a joint life insurance policy, and in spite of the fact we lived in a council house, and only one of us was working...we were insured to the tune of £45,000 which, in 1982 was a hell of a lot of money. Premiums were £10 a month, rising by 10% per year over 15 years.

14 years later, our broker, new because we had moved to Essex by then, called on us to remind us that the policy was soon to expire and would we be taking another one out, or just continue with the present one for say a further five years.

That sounded good, so we agreed, but then we were informed that thepolicy was only worth £9k by then...(so why had the premiums risen by 10% every year?). So we had to keep that one, at the ever increasing rate,plus another one at TWICE the premium, just to make them up to the original value.

Five years on, and they were due again, and together they were worth £12k. I told them to stuff it., They'd had more than that off us in the last 20 years.

EDIT: That said, I still have life insurance, but a simple policy, enough to cover funeral expenses.