General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rejoining

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samantha

Samantha Report 7 Feb 2010 05:05

I was a member during 2003/4/ and 5 and did a huge amount of amy family tree but them had to give it up due to a new baby and lack of time. Now that time has gone by baby is now at school , Yessss. and guess what I have spare time yahooo so getting back into my tree.
I notice that Genes Reunited has changed big time and that they now have two different types of membership. My question is, is it worth paying for the Gold mbmership, do you always get the documents and are they the same as Ancestry.com? What do you think

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 7 Feb 2010 05:21

Hi Samantha, I joined in Feb 2005 so not sure I remember you but from what I have read the higher cost membership isn't worth having.

Also it seems that it's now £9.95 for six months only instead of a year which we get from continuous membership.

I am sure others will be on later to give you more info

Welcome back

Lizx

Samantha

Samantha Report 7 Feb 2010 05:36

It's all so new I feel a little lost. Even sending and receiving mesages and viewing trees are different. I just upgraded my old Legacy software and want to sort this out. I just wasn't sure if this was worth it or to go back to Ancestry. Obviously keeps my account going here but if the info over on Ancestry was better well.... It would be good if I could get all the same stuff from here as it is all in one place.

I probably stopped coming on here around August time and I was end of August.

I'm in Nottingham and use to spend my life (or so it seemed) either on here or at the records office - oh how lovely it was in there.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Feb 2010 06:00

Samantha

take the Standard mmebership on here, use the Boards to get help, have your tree on here

and take out membership in ancestry

BUT the Gold Membership is not worth the money ........ most of the records are not on GR, you are re-directed to other sites, and on censuses you cannot move from page to page

the bmds direct you only to the index

I prefer ancestry, others prefer findmypast ............... but ancestry has the most incredible collection of records now!

sylvia

Joy

Joy Report 7 Feb 2010 08:35

Welcome back :-)

I would recommend standard membership here and ancestry subscription. Happy hunting :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Feb 2010 09:46

Hi Samantha, not sure if I remember you, were you always 'Samantha' on the boards.

As the others say, ancestry is best for searching and standard membership on here. Welcome back, you will soon get used to it.

Samantha

Samantha Report 7 Feb 2010 13:22

Brilliant, I guess I will sort out Ancestry as this is where I did all my research last time (must have done something right as it got me back as far as 1700's on one side).

Will be downloading my tree a little later today.

I may well have been known by my Sunday name lolol back then.

Great to be back on the case.

Thanks again.