General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

National Anthem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Feb 2010 13:22

Discussed this briefly on A of GG's ruggers thread.

I loathe God save the Queen being sung at International matches. It's a dirge!!!!

Why can't the English adopt Land of Hope and Glory as they did during the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester.

It's rousing, everyone learnt the words very quickly and it's much more appropriate to a sporting event.

Yes, before anyone says it's not pc I know that but neither is God save the Queen if you are a republican, atheist or other religion.

Any thoughts or will this thread die a Sunday death?

Sue x

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 7 Feb 2010 13:26

I would prefer " get your rocks off " its so more upto day....:))))

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 7 Feb 2010 13:27

Sue I completely agree. OK if a UK or GB team is being represented, then God Save the Queen could be appropriate, but ENGLAND should have it's own national anthem, same as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and it should be Land of Hope and Glory. Therefore the England team in any sport can then be represented as England, not Great Britain, by it's own anthem.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 7 Feb 2010 13:27

who won by the way?

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Feb 2010 13:31

*slaps Hayley*

FGS England you knew that you are just trying to wind me up...WUM

Annina

Annina Report 7 Feb 2010 13:49

by coincidence, I was watching an old Billy Connely sketch last night when he brought this very subject up.

He suggested that we adopt the theme tune to the Archers in stead of the dreary tune that we have now.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 7 Feb 2010 13:52

**punches Suepig in the gob **

No I didnt thats why I was asking Narna...tsk lol

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Feb 2010 13:53

*kicks Hayley in the shin*

Errr are there any words to the Archer's theme tune?

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 7 Feb 2010 13:54

* slyly kicks Suepigs crotch on the way out **

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 7 Feb 2010 13:59

Years ago ( my version of 'During the war' so my children tell me ) you would have been hung drawn and quartered for treason Sue....or shot at dawn for such a suggestion.

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 7 Feb 2010 14:02

dum de dum de dum de dum

dum de dum di daa daa

dum de dum de dum de dum

dum de diddly dum

dum di diddly

dum di diddly

dum di diddly dum

dum de dum de dum de dum

dum de diddly daaa

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 7 Feb 2010 14:18

Ireland have THE best rousing song as well as the National Anthem. It always makes me cry...*sniffs....especially when they lose....lol....

sorry TW, you left out a diddly:-))

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 7 Feb 2010 14:19

TW can you really see our boys humming that with their 'game faces' on, they would look like a load of 'it ain't arf hot Mum' performers.

Susan, I don't care, I hear the tower has quite nice views from some turrets :-))

BC, but their intro before the match takes so bloody long!!!!!!

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 7 Feb 2010 14:21

I dont' see why not...and they could do it with their hand on their heart, and sing it with pride.

It'd sound great with the supporters three bars behind as usual, like a round.

hehehe

Lee

Lee Report 7 Feb 2010 15:57

Agree with Sue, it's long overdue that Englnd should have it's own anthem and not that awful dirge GStQ.

Nor wonder we never win anything after singing that piece of ugly music, we need somthing to lift our players up not depress them, maybe that's why some English players don't even attempt to sing it at English international games ie football or rugby.