General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1914 1918 great war

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 7 Feb 2010 20:56

hi i would like to no where i could find out if my grandad served in the great war he would have been 19 at the outbreak so i should think he served in one of the three services he was born in sedgley staffordshire in 1895 his name was edward sadler can anyone point me in the right direction. thanks very much. edward baldock.

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 7 Feb 2010 21:05

Be better to put this on trying to find board

Hazelx

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 7 Feb 2010 21:16

I looked on Ancestry but I couldn't find Edward Sadler but I found an Albert Edward Sadler aged 22 in 1916 born Staffs.

His grandmother is named as next of kin, Ellen Sadler.

Birdi

ann

ann Report 7 Feb 2010 22:37

hi hazelx ,
thanks for that , i think you may have found his younger brother born 1892 in sedgley staffs his fathers name was edward sadler born 26/10/1857 his mothers name was jane thomas b1857.there is a ellen j .sadler listed b1860 this was his dads older sister i would be interested in any infomation you have about edward or albert sadler . thanks edward and ann baldock.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Feb 2010 22:46

A lot of the WWI records were damaged or destroyed in bombing in WW2, so you can't really rule out the possibility that he did enlist.

I know that 3 of my Grt Uncles, and OH's Grandfather did serve, but have only been able to find one page for one of them, and that was badly damaged.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Feb 2010 01:09

also on TTF .... with responses

www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1203427

sylvia