General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bonavacantia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Quoy

Quoy Report 8 Feb 2010 07:31

Has anyone ever looked at this site and found a relative or been tempted to research one of the unclaimed estates from 1997

Quoy

Quoy Report 8 Feb 2010 11:53

Hello anybody there

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 Feb 2010 11:55

Good luck with your reaserch hunxx

Quoy

Quoy Report 8 Feb 2010 11:56

thank you
I am not alone then

Cosmosmallpiece

Cosmosmallpiece Report 8 Feb 2010 12:19

Funny enough i did look a few weeks back found none of my rellies, but if i get board any time i might go back to it and see what i can find.
Happy hunting

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 8 Feb 2010 15:50

I did research a family after my mother-in-law was contacted by a solicitor acting on the estate of a gentleman with the same name a few years ago. He had at one time lived in the same town as her, so they thought there might be a family tie. (He did appear on Bonavacantia at the time.)

Despite the fact that he went to the same school as my husband and father-in-law, lived in the town for some years, his family originated in a different county and I couldn't find any link to the two families.

It was a terrible shame as he left over £1million and had no wife,siblings or children. I don't know if they ever found anyone or if it is all still sitting in the bank. I suppose some day it will go to the government!

Perhaps now Ancestry has easier seach facilities, I will go back and look at it again.

Elisabeth

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 8 Feb 2010 15:53

I look at the list but have never recognised anyone in any of the trees I am working on. No good looking too distantly because there would be no entitlement anyway as the laws changed and narrowed the range of beneficiaries.

Sue

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 8 Feb 2010 17:27

On Heir Hunters last monday they were saying that those who are enttitled are children, siblings, parents, cousins and cousins removed. Apparently the law changed in the 1920's. I can understand why, I have at least 25 first cousins. There may be more as last my mum heard,in the 1950's, her sister had six kids. (There's a story behind that)

Quoy

Quoy Report 8 Feb 2010 18:47

One day I am going to choose a name and have a look at what I can find, purely and simply because this is my hobby and I love the challenge.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Feb 2010 18:55

just had a browse through Quoy, there are some names there that you think should be easy to trace...just put a couple in search here but nothing came up.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Feb 2010 19:15

I ve just taken quite an unusual name,found i think the birth and marriage and her on 1911 census...lol silly but it is rather interesting to try :)

Quoy

Quoy Report 8 Feb 2010 19:26

It is a very addictive hobby I seem to have done all my friends .I see an interesting name and just have to find out about it.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Feb 2010 19:28

it is Quoy, and now I have 'found' this one it is a bit of a challenge to see if there are any siblings or cousins maybe .....

Quoy

Quoy Report 8 Feb 2010 19:45

Sorry Rose just had to have a chuckle there. You must let us know what you find