General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BLOOD PRESSURE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 8 Feb 2010 16:22

Both my sister and I have high blood pressure my sister lives in a different part of london to me and her Dr. always sends her for a blood test I on the other have never been sent for one does anyone know why thankyou

Margaret

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Feb 2010 16:25

Maybe it is to check her cholestrol, is she a lot older than you? Why don't you ask your doctor for a blood test to check your cholestrol

Deanna

Deanna Report 8 Feb 2010 16:44

Hi Ann... x

Margaret I am fed up giving my blood to my doctor... ;-0)
I have high blood pressure, but no high cholesterol.
Have had a DVT and clots in the back of my eye, and last year I had a stroke.
There are a few reasons why my doctor takes my blood.
I agree with Ann, do talk to your doctor and ask her/him why there seems to be no worry about your high blood pressure.
It would give you a little peace of mind.
Good luck,
Deanna X

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Feb 2010 16:45

Hi Deanna xxx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 8 Feb 2010 16:47

Sometimes high blood pressure goes hand in hand with high cholesterol, as Ann said, and also high blood sugar, and other possible symptoms.

It's a thing known as "Metabolic Syndrome" or "Syndrome X", and it may be in your genes (it is in mine!) if you have that "apple" body shape.

It's becoming very common in people over 50.

High blood pressure itself may be treated slightly differently if you do have any of those other symptoms. That's why a doctor wants to get a good reading of all those things to decide on treatment. I'm in the middle of all the fiddling with my meds at the moment ...

Best thing to do: ask the doc. If you haven't had your cholesterol, triglycerides and sugar checked in a while, in particular, it could be a good idea.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Feb 2010 17:27

Our Doctor does an annual MOT at your birthday time for the over 65,s and everything is checked with blood tests .urine sample etc and a discussion with the nurse after the blood results are known and have been reviewed by the Doc. My high blood pressure was picked up by the optician when i was in my early sixties and have been on meds ever since with 3 monthly checks up to each the annual review, The doctors practice believes in preventative measures and picking up potential problems before they cause trouble.
I am on 4 different meds for blood pressure .a hiatus hernia, cholesterol and fluid retention . all keep me on even keel!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Feb 2010 17:31

Ours do that too Shirley

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 8 Feb 2010 18:55

Hi thank you for you replies I zm 60 my sister 3 years younger. We are both on
cholestrol tablets ad I suppose I must have had a blood test but it was a very long time agol. And I do not get an MOT around my birthday that is for sure. I take 3 tablets a day for my blood pressure an they only check my pressure every 6 months
Deanna I hope you are feeling a lot better now

Margaret