General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I cannot believe it!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

valinkent

valinkent Report 9 Feb 2010 14:40

I could'nt buy any table salt in Tesco's i wanted Lo salt but they didn't have any at all
I asked an assistant and was told it is because of the bad weather people are stocking up.
xx

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 9 Feb 2010 14:42

All sold out in advance of another freeze I suppose.

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Feb 2010 14:45

We ran out too a few weks ago.
I bought dishwasher salt...for the paths not cooking lol

Julia

Julia Report 9 Feb 2010 14:47

Valinkent, I wouldn't have thought that LoSalt was as much good as proper salt on frost.
Julia in Derbyshire

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Feb 2010 14:51

Julia.. for week's we had no salt of anykind on the shelves of any shops, even the wee shops had ran out.

Julia

Julia Report 9 Feb 2010 14:53

Hi Marion, so people were using anything and everything salt wise then. I always thought it was only 'proper' salt that worked. Well you live and learn.
Julia in Derbyshire

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Feb 2010 14:56

I ended up buying tesco's own dishwasher salt, £1-11p for 3 kg....worked really well.
People wre using cat litter too and compost lol

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy

McAnne's Gahan-Crazy Report 9 Feb 2010 15:00

Ladies - please be careful - using domestic/table salt outside can cause concrete to corrode ...............

If you can't get rock salt next best thing is sharp sand x

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Feb 2010 15:04

OOp's Thanks Ann.
I wonder about dish washer salt then??

valinkent

valinkent Report 9 Feb 2010 15:06

Thanks for your replies...i did think that were having me on by saying it is because of ther weather,i was the same as you Julie would'nt have thought Lo Salt would have been much good.

I use sharp sand on my path's as i have 2 dogs and a cat.

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 9 Feb 2010 15:08

Even cat litter sold out round here, people were desperate to use something to free up frozen paths.

valinkent

valinkent Report 9 Feb 2010 15:13

I spoke to someone yesterday and they said that Cat Litter went up 30p in a week, must have been everyone buying that too, but it is a bloomin cheek putting the price up.

Julia

Julia Report 9 Feb 2010 15:15

I agree Valinkent, about the price hike, on cat litter because when everybody has got over the frosty conditions, the price will not come down again.
Julia in Derbyshire

Annina

Annina Report 9 Feb 2010 15:25

There has not been any salt in our Co op since the middle of december.

At last, they had some yesterday,

Re icy paths,I resorted to using cat litter on my path( unused),it worked a treat, but when the snow melted it left a muddy residue. Now I am hoping for some rain to clear that off.

valinkent

valinkent Report 9 Feb 2010 15:37

Arrr thank you Lynda..we are forecast more snow Thursday/Friday so get ready for a phone call lol
xx

MarionfromScotland

MarionfromScotland Report 9 Feb 2010 15:39

I'm glad it was unused Annina lol

valinkent

valinkent Report 9 Feb 2010 16:39

That's wot friends are for Lynda.

xxx

Whirley

Whirley Report 9 Feb 2010 17:34

loads of snow heading Kent way Wednesday/Thursday, apparently....

Redrobin

Redrobin Report 9 Feb 2010 17:49

We have a constant coal fire to heat the back boiler, radiators, water etc.
I use the ashes and cinders from that.
Yes, when the snow has melted you do get a residue, but it doen't take long to sweep that up.......and its free.

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget

TessAkaBridgetTheFidget Report 9 Feb 2010 23:46

I would worry that any cat litter would attract the cats in the neighbourhood. i.e. It would not be unused for long!

I got some salt ages ago to keep by the front door just in case of ice.
My front garden is very small, so I don't need much. It was cheap salt and will only be used for ice.

Tess