General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 12 Feb 2010 09:31

does anyone know how to find adoption certificates from records. Im trying to find out who adopted my grandmother Gladys Evelyn Wilkins 1930.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 12 Feb 2010 09:50

Elizabeth, I am assuming you are in the UK. The GRO web page has a bit of information on the topic.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Registeringlifeevents/Birthandadoptionrecords/Adoption
records/index.htm

that should give you some clues of how to search.

There is also the Cyndi's List site which has lots and lots of adoption information, most of it from the USA, but there is some from UK.

I'm not very knowledgeable about UK adoptions but these two sites should give you a start. You could also google " historical adoption information" and try some of the matches there.

Good luck