General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

medical info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 29 Mar 2010 20:51

Hi all,just a little bit of info about medicines ,
i have to take penicillin every day because i had my spleen removed,well to cut a long story short,i take it in liquid form,because tablets were giving me lots of pain in my joints,so its worth thinking about if you peeps get a lot of pain,go liquid with your meds.
i tried various brands of tabs and it was all the same ,infact some were worse than others.
hope this helps in some way
best wishes wendy

Wendy

Wendy Report 29 Mar 2010 21:02

Hi Mac the body can become immune to anti biotics depends what you take them for,when i got a throat infection they stopped the penicillin and gave me broad range antibiotics then i went back on the penicillin,when you have the spleen removed you have to go on pen.c.and have a 5yearlypneumonia jab.
the spleen is necessary to your immune system.
im not a nurse,but always ask lots of questions,about medical stuff,and of course there is always google.

wendy

Wendy

Wendy Report 29 Mar 2010 21:04

you could always try natural medicine,im a great believer in honey and applecider vineger,i find the vineger shifts most tummy bugs,dont get them often but always have a small glass of water with 2 teaspoons cider vineger in it.

Wendy

Wendy Report 29 Mar 2010 21:07

thats some superbug you have Mac to take that much in that time.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Mar 2010 05:07

I would be very wary these days if I had to go into hospital, I can recall the dirty bathroom when I was in a few years ago with kidney stones. I try not to take any medicines unless really really necessary and use homeopathic things where possible. My nephew was constantly on antibiotics for colds and such when he was small, my son only had them when he got an ear infection. My s.i.l. is mad for medicine, she is constantly at the doc for one thing or another and takes all kinds of medicine for the slightest thing so not surprising that she did the same with her son, my nephew.

Lizx

Wendy

Wendy Report 30 Mar 2010 13:53

Sorry you are feeling poorly MAC hope you are better today.
I always carry a bottle of hand wash with me and use it after ive come out of toilets anywhere.its only a quid in Superdrug, you would think in this day and age with all the up and coming scientists that they would find a cure for these bugs.I suppose we can blame overseas travel with aero planes going to more places.
all we can do is make sure we all do our bit personally.
bring back the matrons i say they kept the bugs at bay.

have you been given pure penicillin Mac,because some of these bugs clear with that,i was told by our doctor years ago that they are called viruses because they --the doctors---dont know what they are. my last doctor down in sussex was brilliant we were with him for 29yrs,we have one just as good now we have moved.
just out of interest do you have any birds--the feathered sort--on one time when i ended up in hospital with a chest thing they kept asking if i had birds parrots especially.because they didnt know whether it was parrot desease or pneumonia.was given meds orally and intraveneuosly for two days to blast it.
we had canaries and quails at the time indoors,so i found a new home for them.birds are really dusty they give off a fine dust which covers everything.and im wheezy when i go near cockateils,so the only birds i have are chickens and ducks,outside of course mind you they would all be quite happy living indoors,some times when one of them was poorly i kept it in the conservatory for a couple of days,cats did nt like it,but they get on ok with them its the dogs i have to watch.
hope it gets better soon Mac.
take care all
wendy

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 30 Mar 2010 14:01

I have to say, I was very lucky when I went into hospital.... the ward was immaculate, no flowers or plants allowed, all visitors had to use gel and wear aprons... and at times depending on the state of play, they even had to wear masks to visit. And no-one allowed to sit on beds!!

ALL staff, including cleaners, wore a clean apron and washed their hands then used gel before going to each individual bedside... whether to work with the patient or clean the area.

I tested negative for C Diff prior to my last stay... but still got it... it was just one of those things, and it crept in when I was on massive IV antibiotics, two different types... so I ended up having three different types of IV antibiotics at the same time, over a three week period, and of course, under stress, the C Diff will return... so if I relapse, and need a stem cell transplant, my risks are great of turning up my toes.

The way I look at it, is that I wasn't expected to survive anyway, my illness was acute, and extremely aggressive... they worked damned hard on me, and they saved my life, so even though I got C Diff.... I also got 2 Christmasses, and an extra 18 months on this earth... so I won't complain, I am thankful!

Wend, my son lost his spleen in an accident a few years ago.... he took a conscious decision after 18 months to come off the daily dose of antibiotic, as it was making him feel so rotten... he does keep a supply in, and has to go straight to the GP as soon as he comes down with anything.... but he has been very well, on the whole. He did loads of research on it before he did it.... he was more afraid of developing an immunity to Antib's and coming down with something serious.... and them not doing what they were supposed to do. Mind, he was only 29 when he had his accident, so he had youth on his side. Plus he did it in consultation with his GP as well... which helps!

Love

Daff xxx

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 30 Mar 2010 22:36

Wendy,

Is your spleen removal a recent thing? My husband had his spleen removed and doesn't take antibiotics. The doctors tell him to be vigilant if he gets a temperature over 101 F and to get a yearly 'flu shot. That's it.

Rose

Wendy

Wendy Report 30 Mar 2010 23:37

Hi Rose.i had my spleen out because for years i had a platelet prob, it was called thrombocytopaenia on steroids for years every time i came off them my platelets would drop to zero,so after trying endless infusions of stuff that cost 200 quid a bottle---you heard that correct--they put enough in me to buy a piece of machinery,we all decided to try the spleen out,it worked my platelets shot up immediatly no steroids from the op day and they are stabilised now,but they said i had to stay on penicillin for ever, i dont mind at least im not so aggressive anymore,steroids have so many side effects.thinning of skin,hair goes thin.bad temper you name it i had it.
so it depends on why you have your spleen out whether you take pen.c.or not.
wendy

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust***

***Julie*Ann***.sprinkling fairydust*** Report 30 Mar 2010 23:40

mac your just really really tough,

a ruffty tuffty,

lol
xxx