General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 2 + 1 of 2475

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frank

Frank Report 29 Jun 2016 15:06

Afternoon all,

Wet horrible day and cold with it. Heating on low just to take the chill off the place.

Well, Last night I sat brooding over the way I had heard about my brothers death. I was his brother, before he became a husband and father. It got to thre stage where I rang his Son Dominic. His wife Sarah answered the phone. She informed me he was at his mothers, and was there anything she could help me with. The gates opened and I let off steam. She took it all without any comment, an said she would get him to ring me as soon as he got home. It's now 3.00pm the next day and still not a call.

The last time we spoke he PROMISED that should there be any change in my brothers health he would contact me. so much for his PROMISE I just feel I am owed an explanation of why he hadn't let me know and why I had to hear of his death via a 4th member of the family and not directly from him.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 29 Jun 2016 14:41

What a nuisance losing your posts again Frank. It happens so often its bound to make you frustrated.

Try again in small burst so we know what you have been up to please?

Annx

Annx Report 29 Jun 2016 13:17

Afternoon All,

What a miserable wet day it's turned into! Sorry you've lost postings again Frank, it's so frustrating when it happens.

Well, I'm back much earlier than I expected. They did blood, ECG and BP tests and I had a long chat with the consultant who quickly decided the cause was MIGRAINE!! I seem to be in fine fettle apart from my weight, which I must try harder with, and he suggested that maybe I don't need the beta blocker I take any more, but suggested I chat with my GP about that if I want to consider coming off it. The blood test results weren't available before I left, but he said he'd let me know if they showed anything up. So now I can ditch taking the aspirin, antacid and statins I've been taking the past week!! :-D

That's a good idea to photocopy the time sheets Gill. I hope your OH is calmer now as that's the best way to handle these things. It is a good idea for him to ease off doing so much at work while you are altering the garden. Hopefully they will appreciate how much he does do to help when he's not there.

I may consider going for a spin in the rain now and do some errands, OH has been good taking me out, but it's not the same freedom as driving yourself when you can browse as long as you want and go on to other places as the fancy takes you. :-)

Jane

Jane Report 29 Jun 2016 13:15

We will all be itching to know what you had to say Frank :-D

Well this weather is dreadful so I rang Fitz and have persuaded him to come to the cinema with me(as Chris doesn't want to) to see The Secret Lives of Pets :-D :-D.
Better to have a good laugh rather than sit and look out at this rain.Film starts at 2.30 :-D

Frank

Frank Report 29 Jun 2016 11:33

Two big postings lost this morning. I had so much to tell you all. Will try later today.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 29 Jun 2016 10:50

Morning all,

Miserable day here and wet wet wet and windy.

Lovely pic of Thomas in his crate Jane. He looks quite happy to just lay there outside.

I suppose its ironing for me today and a bit of housework.

Jane

Jane Report 29 Jun 2016 10:23

Morning All

:-D :-D Dermot
It is a lovely summers day..NOT..Rain again :-S :-S

How is the wrist today Frank?If Ros reckons you need it looking at DO AS SHE SAYS :-D :-D I bet Ann is at the hospital starting her run of tests.

Things to do so best get on.BBL

Dermot

Dermot Report 29 Jun 2016 07:52

Pudsy's Diry.

'At skool last week Ms Flinn sed weed haf to enter the skools’ koral comp. an we’d hav to be very good and practiss hard to win the !st prise. Ms Flinn sed the prise wud be a big deploma that evrybody cud see how brill and brite and smart we are. Wudnt that be wonderful'.

A Gaelic Proverb (sort of):- 'Mere words do not feed the animals'. ~~~~~~~~~~~

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 29 Jun 2016 00:23

That was a nice surprise Mel. Enjoy your Game of Thrones.

It's nice to see you back Fiona, hope you manage to keep in touch more, we've all missed you.

Good luck for tomorrow Ann, hope all goes well for you and that you can drive again soon. Hope your OH feels better soon too.

Thanks everyone for your support today. OH said they don't have a union Frank but he'll keep the CAB in mind should he need their help. I don't think he'll lose his job as there was only mention of a warning, but a warning for a job that isn't his doesn't seem right to us. He told the member of staff who came to our house that he doesn't want to do the Handyman work anymore as he has enough of his own to do and feels it's to much to do both, he didn't mention that he knows about the warning he's suppose to be getting. The member of staff said that he'd have to let the boss know about the Handyman work when she returns on Friday. He also told the member of staff that he doesn't want any over time at the moment either so that has been taken off his worksheet for the next two weeks. It was only 2, 6 hour shifts so he's not let them down to badly. He is still annoyed with them and has decided not to do them any favours for the time being. Besides he's far to busy here and doesn't have the spare time for anything else except his normal job and hours.

Thanks Ann for your advice of writing everything down, OH is going to photo copy the two time sheets tomorrow to keep as proof that he was put down for two different things on the day they say he should of been in work. I didn't think about the member of staff not saying anything to Sandra, you are right it's not professional and she shouldn't of been discussing it with Sandra in the first place.
OH seems a bit calmer tonight than he was last night so that's good, I've been really worried about him all day. I was right his phone battery was dead which is why I couldn't get through to him earlier.

Well, it's getting late so I'm off to bed now
See you all tomorrow
Night Night

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 29 Jun 2016 00:22

The surprize was a new series of Game of Thrones that we watch on the firestick. It is £22 for series 6 and we have seen the others so it was a nice surprize after all as there is'nt much on the tv at the moment I want to see.

Sounds like there are two of you now with building going on around you. They do seem to make a mess. We've had the tractors on the roads makeing a mess collecting the silage but they seem to have finished now for the time being.

Yes where is our Liz?????

Off now so nigt night all.

Annx

Annx Report 28 Jun 2016 20:20

The vehicles are massive Jane and I don't know where they are putting all the cement/concrete!! lol. It sounds like you will be having a muddy road to deal with then. One of the builders on the edge of the next village had a roadsweeper sweeping up the mud when they were building the houses.

No, I didn't know about that film so will check out if it's on around here. I think the Ab Fab film starts here on Friday and I want to see that.

I think there's more danger of OH talking to me non stop Jane even though it would be a long day for him too. He's got an appointment of his own next week, but I thought as well that he had seen quite enough of hospitals this past 12 months. I'm going to get to there early tomorrow so that if a few of us are booked in they may take us in order of arrival. That way I may be done a bit sooner......well maybe!! lol.

Mel, that surprise was a let down after getting you all intrigued!!

Yes those drops are pricey Anne! Imagine if you had no insurance. I was wondering where Liz was too?

I'm off to watch some telly now so night, night all.

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jun 2016 19:20

Ann it sounds a right nightmare in your road with all the lorries etc ! I think from next week we will have heavy traffic up and down our road as the sewage pipes are going be put in all across 2 fields in preparation for the forthcoming housebuilding :-S :-S The signs are up warning of work beginning.

I agree there is no need for OH to stay with you tomorrow .He will would be bored stiff for one thing ,plus if he isn't feeling great now then it's best he just has a quiet day at home.I bet you don't get to read much or do too many of the puzzle books.It will probably feel a long day for you ,but at least you will finally get there for all the tests needing doing.
Have you seen the film advertised that is on at the cinema.Secret Life of Pets? It looks so funny I think I must go :-D :-D

Frank

Frank Report 28 Jun 2016 18:56

Evening all,

Rain has stopped here at last. I thought of trying to do my lawns again this afternoon, but my hand didn't feel up to it. Now with the rain it will be a few days .before I can attempt it.

Mel, I could send a donation to Cancer research, but we donate to that every month I might send flowers, but only if I know when and where his funeral is taking place.. Other than that I will donate to something in his memory.

Anne, that treatment for the dog is expensive, isn't it ?? But I suppose if it does the trick it will be worth it.

Hi Fiona, So nice to see you are "GETTING THERE" Take your time, we all think about you xxx

That present was a bit of a damp squid, wasn't it Mel. ?? lol lol

I have been LOOKING (ONLY LOOKING) at cruises for next year. I can't think for one moment I could afford the States but it's nice to look. I haven't said a word to Ros.

I just heard on the news that ROY HODGESON had been paid £14,000,000 since he became the England Manager. All for what ?? I think I will apply for the job ;-) ;-) ;-) I couldn't do any worse than he has done. Then I could afford the cruise. lol lol

I see that the first few days of July are going to be raining, so much for our summer. I am going to hid away until the winter. !!!
Have a good evening all, see you tomorrow.

Annx

Annx Report 28 Jun 2016 18:38

Afternoon All,

So sorry to hear your news about Ted Frank. Even though he said those nasty things I'm sure you will feel sad at this time.

Hi to FIONA <3 <3. Hope you keep improving and will soon be back with us. :-)

Oh no Mandy, what a disappointment for your OH to have to wait until August now for his operation. He will have to have another assessment nearer the time too I expect. It happened to me when I had a hysterectomy and, like you say, you get all prepared and geared up for it in your mind and it is such a let down when it doesn't go ahead.

Thank you for your good wishes Anne. I'm just sorting what to take with me to the hospital tomorrow. Clothes are sorted, a top I can slip off easy and my jeans, slip on shoes and a cardi. I have a puzzle book, 2 magazines and a book to read. Foodwise I was going to take one of those tuna lunches with sweetcorn, pasta and veg in, but then I decided I didn't want fishy breath or for fishy smell to put others off their sarnies, so I shall just take a yoghurt and an apple and buy anything else there. OH has been off colour today and very tired so I've told him to just drop me off there in the morning and come home till I need picking up later. He said he would stay with me, but there's no need really, it would save parking cost for a day, and I could always ring him if I wanted him there.

Gill, as the others say, it is down to exactly what your OH's contract says really. It is rather naughty of them to come knocking on your door and I think they should have phoned instead. They seem to be treating people's goodwill as their right. If he was just helping out, as you say, then it makes sense he completed his usual time sheet unless they'd told him otherwise . I would put the ball back in their court and question why they took the handyman time sheet (he didn't even know about) as correct without looking at his normal job time sheet anyway. I presume no other days were completed on the Handyman time sheet either. Keep a notebook of all that has happened and from now on, dates, times, including when they visited your home and the conversation they had with Sandra (which was highly unprofessional and inappropriate anyway for them to discuss her dad getting a warning in his job, even if it was a friend and even if her dad had known about it! ). It will probably not be needed, but you won't remember all the details you might be asked if you don't. Fancy all this happening when he was actually helping them out and solving a problem for them! I hope it has a happy ending.

It is pouring with rain again here. The builders packed up early, but first thing this morning we had a convoy of lorries and concrete mixers queuing up and blocking our private road. The neighbours a bit higher up on the main close have started parking their cars on the road and at the ends of their drives. The lorries have to turn around in the 'T' outside their bungalows so they can reverse down past us and I suspect, judging by the size of some of the vehicles, that they have ended up going up their drives. They seem to have stopped building the first bungalow at window height and moved on to the house for some reason......maybe they have had more enquiries about the house?

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 28 Jun 2016 18:03

Back from shopping all unpacked a nd put away for another week.

My present was'nt that exciting but nice anyway. It was that the library rung to say they have the talking book in I ordered and it will be on the van next time it comes.

Frank will you send a donation for your brothers funeral. It does seem a shame you can't go whatever differences you had in the past.

Where's our Dermot?

I am pleased your now feeling stronger Fiona. We have all missed your posts and knowing what Mateo and Sophia have been up to. Onwards and upwards hope you soon feel back to normal again. X

Well the wind is really up here now and oh cut the lawns yesterday and they looked so nice but now they have leaves all over them that the wind has blown off the trees.

My knee seems better now but I hope I hav'nt spoken too soon.

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jun 2016 17:58

I have missed Liz too Anne.I don't recall her saying they were going away again.Maybe she is having problems with the internet.
Sent you an email Anne :-D That is good that the drops on Amy's food is helping her 'problem' even if not completely .

Ann you asked me if Thomas was fretting to get out at night..........I have no idea LOL
as he is shut in in the lounge.I don't think he is, as there are no pulled up carpets by the doors or scraped walls..I think he must have a wander in the night though as the tray has always been used.He is always fast asleep in the morning.I will carry on shutting him in downstairs as I am getting really good nights sleeps these days :-D :-D

Anne

Anne Report 28 Jun 2016 16:17

Condolences regarding your brother Frank, I hope you are still resting your wrist like a good boy.

Gill your OH's employers certainly don't appreciate him enough, if his contract only state his carer's roll then they have no valid reason for terminating his contract but hopefully they haven't written in "and Ad Hoc duties} anyway I'm sure they realise good workers are hard to come by.

Ann, good luck with your hospital appointment tomorrow and they have got it right this time.

Mandy how disappointing that your husband's op has been cancelled and put back until August when it should have been over and done with by then

Mel good luck regarding your teeth lets hope they can fit them properly this time and you can eat with comfort again.

Jane you asked about Amy's little wee problem, she has medicine drops 3 times a day on food which helps but she still has the odd accident. These drops cost £61.03 a bottle and that lasts about 5 weeks, so thank goodness for pet plan. How is that beautiful Thomas to day ?

Good to see you popping in Fiona and I hope you continue to feel stronger.

Still no Liz, is she away or have I missed her post?

It's raining hard here at the moment although it has been sunny and I managed to do some gardening after taking Amy out for her usual walk.

The football result for England was so disappointing and I expect the Icelandic team aren't paid anywhere near as much as ours, I feel sorry for all the England fans that have paid their hard earned money to go to France to support them,

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jun 2016 16:16

I wonder what your present is Mel.You will have to let us know as soon as you get it.
Chris often comes home with something 'for me' usually something to do with the kitchen :-S.I keep saying the thought is nice but here is NO MORE ROOM for anything .Now if he fancied buying me some perfume or nice bath stuff that would be very welcome lol

Gill ,I honestly can't see OH has anything to worry about.He is not paid to be a handyman and that won't be in his contract. Hope Mum didn't get too wet waiting to be let in LOL.

Hi Fiona :-D :-D..Good to see you again.I hope you don't have another bad flair up again.This one has lasted a long time.

Frank,as you say you have done your bit by letting your daughter and Niece know about your Brother.I know you fell out with Ted but I am sure you will still be feeling sad about his death.You must have had good times with him when you were young boys.

Mandy ,did Max enjoy meeting the Choc Lab? Some dogs get so excited when they meet another dog.Then the leads get all tangled when they jump and play with each other !!.

It is raining here too now Frank.The Crate is left outside for now.It weighs a blooming ton to keep shifting around.
Fitz was saying that he doesn't think Podge is doing well at all.Even though he is managing to do his Insulin injections.He feels there must be something going on which is causing the insulin to maybe not being absorbed.I have suggested he doesn't wait another whole week before his appointment with the Vet and get Podge seen a bit earlier.I have a feeling that dear Podge isn't going to be around for much longer :-(

I hav had to put a light on as it is so dark now !!

Frank

Frank Report 28 Jun 2016 15:29

Thanks for your condolences. I haven't spoken to him since his remark about my stroke "YOU HAVE ONLY HAD A STROKE GET OVER IT" It seems he didn't :-( :-(
He lived in Ware, Herts, about an hour from us. As none of his family could be bothered to let me know, (a) I don't think I will be made welcome and (b) As nobody has informed me of any arrangements they can't be that bothered if I am there or not. His son did promise that he would let me know if the was any change in him before Christmas. Shows how some people keep promises. :-| :-| :-|

I have let my Daughter know, also my niece in Scotland. So I have done my bit.

Gill I would get your OH to go to the CAB to get advise on the way he is being treated my the Nursing Home. Or if he is in a UNION. Contact his local representative, for advise.
Ros has got all the washing dried outside and is ironing it as we speak.

Get the crate in Jane It's pouring of rain here.

I hope I won't be NUMBER THREE with the operation cancellation. !!!!

I see the England Manager resigned 20 minutes after the game finished. Looking at his proposed successor I don't hold much for English FOOTBALL. ;-) ;-) ;-

BBQd pork ribs with new pots a various veg. Ros is doing that, so I will sit back and watch.

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jun 2016 14:57

Frank,I am very sorry to hear about your Brother Ted. :-(.. Where did he live? I have a feeling it is a long way from you.
Don't try and use your hand too much today.Rest is still probably the best thing at the moment.Don't put off getting it checked out.

Mandy ,what bad news that is for OH having the Op cancelled .You hear this so often.
Hopefully the next date will be fine .He shouldn't have to go for another pre op assessment Bet he feels down in the dumps now after gearing himself up for it.

Gill ,I think that is disgraceful of the home .OH's contract as you say is as a Carer and not a Handyman.Fancy someone actually coming to your door !!.I hope everything is ok and that his job is safe.I'm sure he would have good grounds to appeal should he lose his job .But that shouldn't happen.Maybe he needs not to offer to do any other work for the home other than his normal duties as Carer.I think they are taking advantage of him

:-S

Well Mandy ,we took your advice and put the cage outside today.We put Thomas in it while Fitz was here for lunch .He wasn't a happy cat at first and tried climbing the bars .But I put some food in and we sat just a few feet from him on the patio to eat and he settled down.There was a lot of miaowing going on for a while lol.
Now it looks like the heavens are about to open so Cat is in and Fitz has gone.We will leave the cage outside for now(I don't think it will go rusty just yet.(I can't give it back to the owner in a rusty state).
It is getting quite dark here now :-S

Frank wasn't the footie RUBBISH.I gave up watching in the end . Watching Murray now in the tennis.