General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 2 + 1 of 2493

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 23 Jul 2016 17:03

Afternoon All
I don't know what to do with myself.I'm wilting :-S.I just wish the humidity would drop so it wasn't so sticky.
Those plants will look pretty in your pots on the trellis Mandy :-D. I wish we had a nice farm shop nearby.That is what I liked when we stayed in Suffolk.There were lots.I would probably have to a fair way to find one here.

Frank,I hope this pain disappears .One more day to go and then you should get back to see the Dr again.

I have got Hannahs room ready for her.I kept putting it off as it was so hot but I wanted it done before the morning.It will be odd having her here for a week.Not that she will be very communicative as she will have her head down doing her dissertation.

Gill I bet you are pleased with all the work you have both managed to get done in the garden.You must have been sweltering !!.
Chris started the Petrol Mower rigjht next to where I was sitting with Thomas...Poor Cat must have jumped 6 foot in the air and did a bit of a flip.The harness came right off !!!.He ran into the middle of the lawn and I really thought he was going to be off.But I just kept gently talking to him and crept up slowly and managed to pick him up and carry him in.He was totally freaked out :-(....I won't repeat what I called Chris :-D

I haven't decided what to do for dinner yet.James is sorted .He will cook his own.
I think we will have either Cold Chicken ,Salad and New Potatoes OR Basa Fillets in a herby crumb with New Potatoes and various veg.I just can't think lol

Mel Chris thought The Inspector Calls was a bit boring and was quite disappointed.
Haven't seen the Railway programme.
Tonight I will be watching the Live Mrs Browns Boys :-D :-D. I know some of you hate Mrs Brown but I think it is hilarious (even with the swearing etc.) it will be good to have a good old laugh for once ,what with all the dreadful news these days.

I know that people say the heat helps with achy joints.But it seems to make all mine much worse :-S.I have been walking around like and old crock today :-S
Better go and take over from Chris who is on Cat Duty in the garden.He wants to start the watering.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Jul 2016 16:36

Talk about few Mandy its like that here too.Tied all my tom plants up again and fed themand the short beans in the pots. Tied the pea up again as its now talled than me. The next tie will be up the gazebo.

Oh is having 40 winks and I am now going back out in the garden.

Must check on the girls first though.

Frank you've had a busy morning.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 23 Jul 2016 13:52

Phew so hot out there now ,when i went to the farm shop for some toms we called into the garden centre next door and i bought a tray of Verbina plants ,i wanted some thing to go into some pots i have hanging on the trellis ,i cut a lot of dead Honeysuckle off the trellis i think maybe Max had a hand in killing it off ,he likes jumping up on the little wall and having a chew on the stalk .

Sounds as if you have had a good week in the garden Gill , yes the Cana will have lots of little shoot like bits coming up ,they all die done in the winter and then shoot up again the next year .
No flowers on mine yet but i have had to move it to the front of the house out of Max's way and it doesn't get a lot of sun out there ,when it was in the back garden it had full sun all day .

I hope the girls all soon settle together Mel, the old ones are trying to rule the roost .

Frank i hope your pain soon settles must be awful to have that sharp pain that makes you shout out like that, yes you would have thought that if you had a stone it would shown up on the x ray you had, you must go back to the docs if its no better over the weekend.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Jul 2016 12:28

Hi to Gill. glad you are getting on with the garden now and are begining to see a difference.

Been meaning to say has anyone seen the new program on the railways on Thursdays, Full Steam Ahead? It has the usual people from Victoria Farm etc, Ruth Peter and Alex. Alos anyone see The Inspecter Calls on a Su day night? Not sure what to make of that but I like Toby Jones as an actor. He always plays a good part well.

Must go up the shop and get the paper then lunch as oh is watching the qualifying fo0r tomorrows GP.

Frank

Frank Report 23 Jul 2016 12:05

I'm so far ahead of myself, GAWD knows what I will do tomorrow.

Rod bought some beetroot, cabbages and new potato's from from a neighbours table top sale across the road, in aid of the local Fishing Club.

I have cooked the beet, scrapped the spuds, done the Broad Beans, peas, runners and cauli. All I will have to do tomorrow is the CHEESE SAUCE and the Yorkshire Pudding..

If it's nice tomorrow I will sit in the garden with the paper and a book.

Hi to Gill, glad you are getting along with the garden, your OH will be glad to get back to work for a REST. !!

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 23 Jul 2016 11:38

Morning all

Sunny here today and a bit cooler than it has been.

Thanks for the birthday wishes for OH, he ended up working in the garden most of the day, even though Sandra and I wanted him to have a relaxing day. I did manage to persuade him to sit down and have a few beers towards the end of the day. The chocolate cake was delish LOL.

We haven't stopped in the garden over the past week, thought we would take advantage of the good weather, although a couple of the days were really HOT so not much was done on those days. We have finally finished the framework and windbreak so now have to go out and buy the screening and put that up. OH is back in work on Wednesday so hopefully it'll be done by then. We've had the garden fella round about the patio we want re-laying so are now waiting for the quote. It's been a couple of days now, so we're starting to think he doesn't want the job.......guess that'll be another job for OH and I to do :-( Never mind at least we are heading in the right direction. We will have to look into having the garage removed, which was the whole point of starting the garden in the first place.

Before I forget Mandy, does the Cana plant have side shoots? I've noticed two, one either side of the main part of the plant. At first I thought it was the other two seeds germinating so tried to separate them, but when I looked further down, underneath the compost, I noticed they were all together, so I've re-potted it into a much bigger pot so I don't have to disturb it again. I thought I'd killed it as it didn't do anything for a couple of days, but now it's back to normal and growing as fast as it did before.....still no sign of any flowers yet, but I think it's probably got a lot more growing to do before that may happen.

I haven't caught up with the posts yet so will do that later, Sandra wants to catch up with all the programmes I've recorded, we have loads as I haven't had a chance to watch TV for almost a week. Plus OH will want to watch the F1 later when he gets in from his mates. It's going to be nice to sit and relax and not have any gardening to do for a day.

Hope everyone is okay
See you all later <3

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Jul 2016 11:09

Morning all,

Nice day here again I think summer has come at last....

Poor newby's are still being chased about by the two old'uns. If the new ones go to a feeding bowl the old ones go there too and peck the others so they go to another trough and so on. I do wish they will settle dowon soon.Bless them.

Thanks to Mandy for sending on Ann's birthday card. I really don't know how Gordon finds these very appropreiate cards from. It did make laugh out loud when I read it.

Sun's shining and oh wants some toast and so do I.

Frank

Frank Report 23 Jul 2016 09:41

Morning LAZY BONES, Evening Kim,

Was up before 7.00 again this morning. Let JJ into the garden. I swear he sniffs every bush and blade of grass. His head is down, with his ears dragging on the grass lol

I didn't have any pain again last night while in bed. but have had a few this morning. I would have thought the X RAY would have shown up stones. !! I will have to see how things are over the weekend, then ring Monday am if no better.

Good news about you being on line with us again Anne. Lets hope you don't have anymore trouble.

Hark at the "LADY OF THE MANOR" having lunch on "THE TOP LAWN" Will you have dinner in the "Banqueting Hall" tonight. lol ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

How are those "HENS" this morning Mel, behaving better I hope. <3 <3 <3

Ros has gone to Martine's. She will take Ros to the hospital for her diabetic eye test, which she has every year. She won't be able to drive for a couple of hours after, so Martine will drive to go shopping.

Off for my shower and shave. See you later.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 23 Jul 2016 09:34

Morning Mel , morning all,

Lovely sunshine here again ,just off to do a bit of shopping before it gets to busy .
Have emailed Anns card to you Mel.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jul 2016 22:16

I hav'nt seen the card for your birthday Ann. Can someone send it on to me please? x

Anne

Anne Report 22 Jul 2016 20:37

Good evening everyone

Went for my annual eye test yesterday and was pleased to be told nothing had changed so no expense this time.

As you can see we have been reconnected to the web again and the WI-FI is now working.

I haven't read all the posts yet so hope everyone is coping OK with all this heat.I have been sleeping with the fan on and no duvet either although the one I have is only 4.5.

As I could read my e-mails, I loved the photo of your sister's new puppy Jane,one of my many nephews also has a King Charles- Bichon Frise cross called Lily she is lovely but very excitable.

Ann I had a big smile seeing the card that your OH gave you for your birthday.

Richard is going to my old work place to see The Tempest an outdoor theatre production so it's the best weather for it.

Just watching Master Chef .

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jul 2016 20:11

Yes another incident in Munich whatever next. What is the world coming to and why can't everyone live in peace. The schools are breaking up now and peoplle will want to go on holiday. I hope it all stops soon..........

Poor old Podge. I hope he can continue to get a little more weight on now he has his meds. Is Fitz managing with the injections ok? <3

Ann is that why it smelled so much I had'nt thought of that. This cars air con has never worked.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jul 2016 19:59

Pork loin and roasted veg. Nice and easy all bunged in one tin and shoved in the oven.

Annx

Annx Report 22 Jul 2016 19:55

Your lunch with Fitz sounded nice Jane, but it is a shame about Podge.

I think I've said on here before that I wouldn't mind one of those Quooker water heaters. It's just like a mixer tap and I like the idea of no kettle descaling. :-D

As you say, it seems something dreadful happens every day now and I just wonder what it will all escalate to. It's very worrying and seems to be more a display of power when just anyone is targeted.

Better go and water things now, then an early night methinks.

Annx

Annx Report 22 Jul 2016 19:49

Evening All,

Phew!! Another hot one and I thought last night was even hotter than the night before. My goodness, it must be a lot cooler down south than here!! I use a 3.5 tog duvet summer and winter and have the bedroom window open most of the year as well. I don't even have the thin duvet over me this hot weather, just a cotton sheet that gets pushed down most of the night. I don't use a fan at night though, mainly as I know it would be even harder for me to get off to sleep.

Yes, too right Jane, the AIRCON is on in the car all year and so is OH's. I wouldn't even think of buying a car without it now!!! When we set off in the car this weather I even put the' recirculate' on in the car for a couple of miles as that cools the car even quicker. The reason you have a 'smell' in your car with it on Mel is most likely because the previous owner didn't use the AIRCON enough to prevent bacteria and mould building up on the condenser etc and causing a smell. Even in winter it needs to be used occasionally to prevent this. (If you google you can see how to get rid of the smell). Switching it on in the winter doesn't make the car cold as you set the temperature as normal. I've had 5 cars with AIRCON now, as has OH, and none of them have smelled and Jane's cars have had no smell in them when I've ridden in them either. Even the glove box in my current car is air conditioned so you can keep a drink cool in there. With my cabriolets I preferred the AIRCON on to the roof and windows down when it was really hot as the road noise and fumes could give me a headache on a long journey.

Fancy your hens getting all possessive and bossy about the food with the new girls! You can see how the saying 'pecking order' came about. I saw my friend's chickens this morning when a few of us met up. One of her bantam cocks with feathered feet is really comical. She lets him out and he comes to the top of the garden when she calls him and spins around with excitement. Then after a while he rushes back to the coop to be let back in with his girlfriend!

I haven't done much again today. OH had another meeting (no tie today as it was informal!), then we called at a garden centre where I got a next year diary for £1.50. I keep a filofax from work days but now find a small diary better for carrying around in my bag. We are meeting up again next month and going to someone's friend's garden that is said to be really good and is open to the public at times.

Interesting about ties as OH threw loads away shortly after he retired, but he still wears ties for formal meetings where he needs a bit of gravitas. Frank is so right about the wearing of jackets at work too. In the 70s, men in our office were not allowed to interview the public or do any counter duty without a jacket and tie on. Interestingly, at the meeting OH went to the other night, the chairman started the meeting by saying the men could remove their jackets if they wished, so it hasn't completely died out!! OH already had his jacket off anyway, but he wasn't there as an employee so the rules didn't apply to him. When OH was at work he had about 2 dozen suits and wore a clean shirt every day. I must say I love a man in a well fitting suit, crisp shirt and smart tie. Sadly you see a lot in crumpled, ill fitting shiny suits, with curled shirt collars and crumpled ties........not a good look!!

The doctors at our surgery all wear ties and the doctor I saw at the hospital recently was very smart and wearing a tie. Jane is right about them harbouring germs though, but probably no worse than the nurses I have seen shopping in the supermarket in their uniforms.

Frank, that pain sounds awful and does sound like how my friend described her kidney stone she had. If it is I hope it soon moves on it's way.

We had a small shower of rain last night, but things are still wilting in the garden, so we are out watering next now it's cooler. I noticed a small courgette before we went away is now a big marrow!!

Jane

Jane Report 22 Jul 2016 18:55

All these coffee machines etc take to much space up on the kitchen worktops :-S
As for a hot water dispenser I haven't heard of them. I will stick to the good old kettle and OH has is coffee machine.(which I have no idea how to work)I thin kit is an espresso coffee one.

Mel your post must have come up as I was typing mine this morning which is why I didn't see it.I am glad to see that the girls are doing ok .Hopefully they will stop being chased soon.

Frank ,maybe you have a trapped nerve which is causing you these sudden pains.Although it seems an odd place to have one.You must go back after the weekend to the Dr if it is still happening.

Well I had a shock just now..I was talking to one of my Birth Brothers and he has recently met with another Sister who he had managed to trace. ( i haven't met her)
She said that there had been another baby called Elizabeth who was sadly stillborn.
So that means that I was actually 1 of 9 now and not 8 !!!!!!!!
My Birth Mother was so irresponsible to have had so many children and not able to look after any...I have said this so many times here (you must all be sick of hearing it).But I am so grateful to have been one of the lucky ones to have been adopted. :-D
I have never felt sad about never knowing my B Mother or Father(whoever he might be lol ) I had the best parents ever from the age of a few months :-D

I just see something terrible has has happened in Munich :-0..Shootings or something in a shopping Mall.Not a day seems to go by now without some dreadful news of this kind.

Chris will be hot and sticky when he gets back from London tonight.James will pick him up at 10pm from the station.

I had a nice lunch with Fitz today.A Gruyere and Maple Bacon Quiche ,and Salads.It strated to rain just as I got down there but soon stopped so we ate on the top lawn by the summerhouse.(sounds posh that LOL Top Lawn lol ) Poor Podge still doesn't look great but his fur looks better and I think he might have put a bit of weight on.But he doesn't look like the Podge I know :-(

Blooming sticky here now

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jul 2016 17:49

Its the pills Frank making you tired.

I have done two lots of washing and am sorting out the shelf in the uti room. Its one of those places you keep putting things and you don't use them so a lot of its gone in the bin. Plus jigsaws I was always going to do so they can go to the charity shop.

Was spitting feathers so have stopped for a cuppa. Oh has been mowing all afternoon and he has gone for a sit in his study with a coffee and jaffa cake bar.

Frank

Frank Report 22 Jul 2016 16:09

Hi again Mel,

Well all I have done today is go on FB and the thread. I have tried to read a book but can't concentrate long enough to get into it.

The pain is still with me even though I have taken 4 more Co- Codamol. 500 mg twice this afternoon . I feel like I am ready for a sleep. snore,snore ;-) ;-) ;-)

Ros has just arrived home, she's been out since 9.30 this morning.

She seems to have miss laid her mobile telephone. She has tried ringing it, but it's out of charge, so can't ring out. Will have to have a search around.

Ros has just delivered a card to an older woman in the village 97 today. Bless her.

Nice sunny afternoon now, so I am going to have forty winks ,I know I shouldn't but i am sleepy.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jul 2016 14:25

Glad you tried again Frank.

We both need to have an eye test. I am trying to get oh to come to Bideford with me to Specsavers.

Quite warm here and with sunshine but then some grey clouds come over.

This morning I cleaned the uti room windows and this afternoon I am trying to tidy the uti room and maybe do some more ironing.

Frank

Frank Report 22 Jul 2016 12:39

I'll try again. Good Afternoon all,

Just had a call from my doctor. After speaking to him earlier regarding my back pain and X RAY. He has spoken to the hospital and the X RAY is NORMAL. So what the Bloo#y hell is wrong with my back.??? I can just be sitting in the chair, and might move to change position , and it's like someone thrusting TWO KNIVES into my lower back. I have so much pain I scream out. :-( :-( :-( He said to keep taking my pain killers, and if no better after the weekend to make another appointment at the surgery.

Mel, I can just see you doing a GIG trying to get the girls to bed at night. Lets hope they all settle down soon and stop this pecking.

I, like many senior men have a good collection of ties. I must admit that since stopping work in 2003 I only wear a BLACK tie when it is needed. I never felt dressed unless I had a suit, collar and tie on to go out on a Saturday evening. But how things have changed. Some Saturdays at the pub a group of wedding guests will call in for a drink before going down to the church. Many of which don't have ties. It's not for me, but I am an old fashioned Grumpy !!! ;-) ;-) ;-)

I had a lot of trouble getting on here yesterday. but today seems fine.

We only sleep with a top sheet and a throw. Summer and Winter alike. If it's really cold Ros will put a blanket on the bed. I am always bodily hot, and love nothing more than getting into a nice cold cotton sheet's . I darn't get close to Ros in bed as I make her so hot.
Ros has taken Carolyn to an appointment at the hospital, then going for an eye test. She needs new sun glass's so that's MORE EXPENSE I just hope she doesn't need new everyday glass's. That will cost a small fortune, I might have to get my begging bowl out ;-) ;-) ;-)

More pleasant here today. More overcast with a nice breeze. JJ has been lying on the cold grass, and is now asleep in the armchair.