General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 2 + 1 of 2514

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annx

Annx Report 22 Aug 2016 21:09

Evening All,

I think it's now that Colin's operation is over that the pent up worry and concern is coming out Mandy. I find I am like that, strong at the time then teary after. Dogs are very sensitive to whether you are 'strong' or 'weak' as well and, like children, will take advantage. It's good he has responded to you turning away and ignoring him though, so he's obviously working out that what he's doing isn't pleasing you or getting the attention he expects it to. I think your instincts are right about keeping him from being excited by the children. The more excited he gets the less he will listen or take notice and if he bites at the children and they squeal or run he will see it as all part of the game! At least he should grow out of it and the trainer may be able to give you some tips to help which would be good.

It's brilliant that Colin is doing so well and has no pain..... I bet he is so glad to be free of that! I hope they have fitted him in to get the staples removed next Friday now!

Your sister will be counting the days to her scan then Jane. Time drags so when you are in discomfort and pain and she must be concerned with not knowing the cause. I bet Jillie will love her first walk!! :-) My word you are going to have a houseful aren't you! The more there are, the more they entertain each other though. You'll need plenty of food!!

Frank you will have to be extra careful not to trip with your knee and keep doing what you can of the exercises, it will all help. You don't want any setbacks. I bet you enjoyed the change of scene for a few hours at the pub. It's good you are still able to help Ros and prepare the veg for her. Are you completing your stockinged 'look' with some britches??? :-) :-) lol.

I like your phrase 'the daily challenges' Mel!! lol Chores don't get any easier to do!

I've been to Nuneaton today to take 1 top back and then came home with 5 more!! :-S I also got a couple of books from The Works. One is about the role played by dogs in the war and was only £2.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Aug 2016 19:34

That is good Mandy to now have a contact with a dog trainer.Maybe just a few sessions will help. I am sure you are right though in thinking Max has been a bit confused with all that is going on right now.Pets just do love routine and when that goes out the window they get a bit unsettled.

My Sister can take Jillie/y out for the first time tomorrow.She has now had her final jab.I think her first walkies will be on the Nature Reserve that my BIL is manager of.
Janice has had the appointment for her CT Scan.It is a week tomorrow .So not too long to wait.She has her bloods done tomorrow.She is still in a lot of discomfort and pain :-(

I need to get dinner dished up.Lots of rumbling tummies going on lol

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 22 Aug 2016 19:26

He's getting on fine Jane , no pain ,he's been out in the garden to have a walk this afternoon and he sat out this morning when the family came .

Max has been a bit calmer today and son said they would always have him for the day ,bit i think that would really excite him with all the children running round .

I felt very tearful again this morning i don't know whats a matter with me , i think it must be the relief of Colin being home and i do feel better knowing i might have found a dog trainer to help Max.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Aug 2016 19:11

Bet you look really handsome in your stockings Frank ;-) Are they uncomfortable ?
That probably did you the world of good getting to the pub last night.You sound as you are coming along nicely now :-D..How is Fluffy?
Our weeks dinners (or tea as it was called) sounded much the same as yours back in the day.I do remember standing on a chair in the kitchen helping Mum mince the left over Beef in one of those screw on metal mincers.No matter how tight it was screwed on the to kitchen worktop it still managed to slip :-S.I seem to recall it was quite heavy going too turning that handle.

How is that naughty boy....Max (not OH) :-D..But more importantly how is OH today?

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 22 Aug 2016 18:18

Evening all,

Lovely day here really hot out ,the fan has been going all day.

Thanks for all your advice with Max , when i walked him today i got chatting to a young girl who was a dog walker ,turns out her stepmum is a dog trainer , i gave her my phone number and she's going to get her to ring me tonight , i seemed to be getting there with him but last week with Colin going into hospital i think the upheaval has put him all to pot , i was in and out so much last week poor little boy didn't know what was happening.
If i can get some help to put me on track again with him it will help.

Ann i do turn my back on him when he flies and it does help ,he calms down and comes round to face me to see whats happening.

I walked to the doctors to get Colin an appointment to have his staples out , the girl
gave me one for friday ,when i got home and looked at the paper it was for friday
week !! So i rang and now have to wait for the nurse to ring to see if he can be fitted in
, well the staples need to come out on friday so they'll have to fit him in .

No Frank Colin doesn't have to wear the stockings, he had to wear one on his good leg when he was in hospital but that came off before he came home.
I'am sorry your not getting good nights ,missing sleep can make you feel rotten, do you manage to get a sleep in the day ?

We had our first runners yesterday ........all three of them :-D

Frank

Frank Report 22 Aug 2016 16:54

Just lost another posting.

Ros has just come in from the garden. The green bin is filled to overflowing. She's hates it going out half full. The lawns look a treat and it's got the lines ;-) ;-) ;-)

How is Max behaving this afternoon Mandy. It might be an idea to get him a muzzle that will certainly stop him trying to bite you, and you might feel safer/comfortable knowing he can't bite you.

Jane, Rissoles were a weekly evening meal for us as children. I think I have mentioned before. The Sunday Joint lasted most of the week. Roast Sunday, cold meat chips and pickle Monday, Rissoles Tuesday, Cottage pie Wednesday. Then it was Liver and onions Thursday, and most Fridays was F & C.

I have tried to help Ros a bit, by doing the cabbage, runners, peas and carrots. She will do the new potato's. She has a nice piece of lamb out of the freezer which can go on anytime soon, We will eat sometime after 6.30 pm.

Still struggling with all the exercises, but am managing to d.o a few of each every now and again. Just wish I could get a good night's sleep

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Aug 2016 14:25

Afternoon all,

Frank I bet it was nice to get up the pub for the footie and see all your mates. Nice to remember your dad today too with happy memories.

Well I don't know where the morning went!!! I answered a message from Jane and then tried to do my daily challenges and then it was lunch time. O I did pick runners this morning and short beans too. Sheep sh*t pie tonight with lots of beans..... Must get the mince out as I have forgotten to do that too.

The suns come out this afternoon but we had a shower just before lunch and a grey morning.

Must go and get the script they had'nt got on Friday. It is only my Omeprazole.

Frank

Frank Report 22 Aug 2016 12:44

Afternoon all,

Oh Mandy you have enough on your plat Carolyn helped mee looking after Colin, without Max misbehaving like this.It's so long ago, that I have forgotten how I bought up my Labs. time will tell. Try to get advise from anyone who has been through this.

We had a nice lunch out yesterday, even though I didn't eat a lot. Carolyn helped me across the road to the pub, so I could see the 2nd half of the West Ham match. Everyone seemed pleased to see me, and two of the lads helped me to the car when Ros pulled up, as the match finished.

Ros is outside mowing the lawns, she will then get the bins out ready for tomorrow.

I stumbled this morning and stubbed my right foot on the pouffe. Shook me up a bit, but I didn't fall over.After getting showered Ros put on my clean STOCKINGS. What a turn on they are !!!. Does Colin have to wear them Mandy.

Memory day for me today, my dear old DAD would have been 130 years old today. Happy memories.

<3 <3 <3

magpie

magpie Report 21 Aug 2016 22:38

Yes I can remember ignoring and turning our backs on Cas when she got a bit above herself. It worked well, and she soon learned that certain behaviour was unacceptable. Cas has a kong, but it doesn't keep her as occupied now as it once did. A big knuckle bone might help. I know daughters lab was quite a challenge when she was young! but was a lovely dog when she was older.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Aug 2016 21:47

I have just had a phone call from Mark(Rachel's Brother) He lives in Washington DC
He is also over here with Wife and 9 month baby Freya. He wanted to know if we were here on the 1st Sept so they could come and see us .So that will be Rachel and her boys and then her Brother ,Wife and baby :-D..It will be lovely to see them all especially as they all live in different parts of the world and it will probably be another few years before we see them all again. It is going to be all go!!!.I think Hannah might be home when Mark comes so that will be really nice.She hasn't seen Mark since his wedding 3 or 4 years ago.

Mandy do you think Max is 'trying it on' because your attention is on Colin? Ann is right is saying to fold your arms and turn away from him when he is being naughty and vying for your attention.No eye contact !!..There is me sounding like I know what I am taliking about .....I was rubbish with Chester ! :-S) I just wish I had been stronger as my life would have been a lot easier .

I have Thomas looking at me with the Devil look about him :-S.My feet could be in jeopardy if I am not careful.I have only got flip flops on :-SI need to keep my wits about me otherwise I will be looking in the cupboard for plasters!!

It sounds like it is pouring with rain !!!

Annx

Annx Report 21 Aug 2016 21:06

Evening All,

Oh Mandy, how exhausting it must be for you. I can just imagine what a nightmare he is just now with all that energy and will power. I think Max is about the age chewing can become a problem with Labs till they grow out of it. It sounds like he is also growing in confidence and pushing the boundaries to try and become the pack leader, the little monkey.

Does he behave the same with Colin? When he runs at you I would stand your ground and not back away from him, stretch upright like you mean business, fold your arms and turn away from him, don't speak to him or even look at him. Ignore him completely till he has stopped and really calmed down for a few minutes. If he starts again, do it again for as long as it takes. If he isn't getting any attention from what he does, he should get the message and stop after a while.

Puppy classes may help like Jane says, if there are any near you. Could you get him one of those Kong toys you put food in if he hasn't got one? A smear of marmite inside one would keep him interested in it rather than the chair legs, even after he's got all the treats out.

I would also look to getting him neutered now Colin is at home, as you planned to do, as that may help.

Rose picked from the garden? No, I wouldn't get one either Jane!

magpie

magpie Report 21 Aug 2016 19:46

Mandy, I've emailed you! I agree with Jane, I think he is asserting himself and needs taking in hand. He has to know his place in the hierarchy else he will run you ragged. It can be a problem particularly with boy dogs.
Miserable evening here! Take more than a rose a bit of choc!!!!

Jane

Jane Report 21 Aug 2016 19:27

Mandy have a word with the Vet about Max. How about Puppy Training classes.There must be something around near you where you could take him. Could he be in the crate too long? I am just trying to think of answers !!
It sounds like he is trying to be TOP DOG.I am sure the Vet would have some good advice for you.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 21 Aug 2016 18:47

Well Max has had me in tears today ,as soon as he comes out of his crate he starts chewing , i tell him No and he's started flying at me trying to bite me and then chews again its getting that we don't know what to do with him , we crate him again and as soon as we let him out he starts again .

Nice sunny evening here .

Jane

Jane Report 21 Aug 2016 16:28

Ah! Liz how romantic .A Rose and chocolate :-D..I can't imagine Chris picking a Rose for me from the garden.
I hope the rain isn't heading this way.Although there are some very odd clouds forming.The sun is still out :-D Towels on the line drying .They should be done soon.

I was just thinking (and I know we have done this) But the left overs from a Joint of beef when I was little would have been Rissoles and a Cottage Pie. My left overs will just be sliced Beef in Gravy with Mashed Potatoes and Greens tomorrow. I don't think I have ever made Rissoles.Have to say I never realy liked them.

LOL I can hear some serious cleaning going on upstairs in the bathroom.As James is in all day I have said it is his job :-D :-D..He is the only one to use that bathroom anyway..One less job for me.

Is it this weekend that Anne has gone on holiday ? Or is it next Friday?

magpie

magpie Report 21 Aug 2016 15:07

We've just had our lunch here. Roast Duck, spinach carrots and spuds. all from the garden except the duck. A bit windy and sunny here this morning, but now the wind's dropped and it's raining quite hard!! Taking Cas for a run, then settling down with my book!
OH has just given me a rose from the garden and three wedges of choc!! ahhh!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Aug 2016 15:06

Frank its good you had a better night and have caught up a bit on some sleep. Lets hope things keep improving for you.x

Mandy it must be so awful for Colin to get the frame around inside the loo and negotiate to get on the other frame. I bet he would rather be home though than in the hosp.

Well I don't know about your hot weather but it has'nt stopped raining here since this morning when I put the washing out so it had to go in the dryer plus the second lot I did.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Aug 2016 14:26

Well it has certainly hotted up here.It's boiling.I have had to put a thinner top on.
I nipped to little Sainsbury just now to get some cooking oil for the roast potatoes.here was a right old ding dong going on in there between a customer and management.I did think the Manager though should have taken the lady somwehere a bit more private as the Manager had the loudest voice and you could hear her all over the shop.
Then I thought while I was out I would pop to Bosworths Gardeb Centre to get some more Thyme and Tarragon to replace my old ones which have gone a bit ropey.

Frank you must feel better today after a fairly good night sleep.I wonder if things are taking longer for you as you have your Stroke leg to cope with as well as the new knee.But you do sound as though you are getting there slowly.

Colin sounds as though he is doing great Mandy.He will probably have lots of cat naps through the day as like you said just doing the simplest of things will wear him out.

Frank I hope that someone does take over the Samuel Pepys again.It is a nice little pub with Conservatory Restaurant.It has been one of those pubs that has changed hands several times over the years since we came here in 1985.It would a shame if it didn't reopen as there are not too many Village Pubs left these days. I remember we had my Mums 80th Birthday Celebrations there and I think my 50th.

Thomas seems to have sleeping sickness today LOL.He is normally out and about now but is snoring his head off on his bed.

Well I better peel the spuds and do the veg for tonight. Proper Roast Beef Dinner today(NOT WITH CAULIFLOWER CHEESE THOUGH) :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 21 Aug 2016 13:35

Afternoon all,

Nice and sunny here today and so warm but it poured with rain in the night .

Frank glad you had a better night last night , thats quite a high price for the decorating ,is it wall papering or just painting ?

Colin had a very good night and no Frank he doesn't seem to have had any really bad pain just the odd twinge when the pain killer needs topping up, he was on morphine but now he's back on his Tramodol tablets and Paracetamol.
It takes ages for him to get washed and dressed as he has to be so careful not to put his full weight on the leg so he's still using the frame , he's not to good on the crutches yet and would never had done the stairs .
They have given him a long piece of tubular bandage to put under his foot to help lift his bad leg onto the bed and onto a stool when he's sitting in the chair.
Going to the loo is a job in its self ,moving from the frame to the toilet frame and back again !!!
We did buy a bottle for him to use in the night which does save in and out of bed in the night .
He's fast asleep now ,all the washing shaving and a hair wash has worn him out.
I had quite a good night too ,i think we were both worn out .

Frank

Frank Report 21 Aug 2016 12:38

Afternoon all,

A better night last night, even though I was awake for a few hours between tablets. Ros said I was snoring during the night, so I must have got some good sleep.

Just waiting for Ros to come in from hanging out a load of washing ( sheets etc) then she can get my stockings off so I can get showered and shaved. I will put a pair of trousers on today, which will make a change from shorts.

Glad Colin is home and settled, is he getting pain like me ?? These exercises certainly put me through my pain barrier.. I am getting around on one walking stick now. Two seemed a problem with not a lot of space to. move about in, in the lounge.

We have had quotes for redecorating the lounge. You wouldn't believe he differences in prices. £1000.00 is the average. cheapest £375.00 from a friend of Martine's who is retired.

I agree with Liz, that your Insurance should cover you for your field Mel. But I realise that you don't want to take any risks, that might cost you money .

The SKATE WING was so nice and tasty, I think not having t cook it made it even better.

Nice sunny morning here today.

That is a shock Jane, that pub has been there for as long as I have been up this way (1964)

Do hope you are all well, will try to get back on tonight. xxxx