General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 2 + 1 of 1729

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 15 Apr 2014 16:48

Is everyone busy in the garden this afternoon? Hasn't it been a lovely day :-D.Sun ,Sun and more Sun :-D :-D and more to come tomorrow :-D

Frank

Frank Report 15 Apr 2014 16:36

Well my day didn't go to plan. I went into the garage to get the mower out for later to do the lawns. garage was in such a mess, I decided to sort in out. The bin men came this morning, and I have refilled it already. Most things are now in some sort of order. I have got three bags of Lewis's toys from when he was young. They can go to the Jumble Sale. I will give his bike and skate board to old next door neighbours, together with bats and balls, that will never get used here. I will ask Lewis What he wants me to do with his big box of toy cars. I would hate to get rid of them, if he wants to keep them.

I came in at 3.15 pm to get a drink, and haven't gone back out. I've had a nice shower and shave, and got dressed.

Jane, We are flying out with Rya# Air and coming back with Monarc# I suppose that's the difference in allowance.

I bet James will have plenty to say about his FIRST day at work. But will soon get into a routine. Is he using your car Jane ?? or has he got his own again ?? BANK of MUM AND DAD lol

Still no sign of Ros and Carolyn. What the hell they are up to is anyone's guess ;-) ;-) I hope she brings something in for dinner, as I haven't even thought of it.

What a beautiful day it has been, I must water the greenhouse and pots on the patio as they look a bit thirsty. The lawns will have to wait till tomorrow.

Jane

Jane Report 15 Apr 2014 11:46

Morning/Evening All

Thanks for your wishes for James today.I felt quite proud seeing him drive off to WORK :-D.Lets hope he is not made redundant like last time.That would just be terrible.
Frank how silly is that ...being allowed to take 5kilos more on the outward flight .Is it the same air company both ways?It doesn't make sense does it.

Mel did that noise on the phone sound like LUB A DUB A DUB.I have had that before and it like someone swishing their hand around in a bath to whip up the bubble bath lol

Mandy I did see about those giant rats.That one that was being held up by its tail was a whopper. :-S :-S.Hopefully you will have seen the last of yours now .Touch wood I haven't seen any more here ,even though I know for sure they will be around.

How long is this list of Chelsea's then???? How funny her adding in her Nap lol.I guess she has one everyday.If the weather is still nice you could have a forty winks yourself soaking up a bit of sun :-D

The bird bath was frozen this morning !!.and even though the sun is shining it actually doesn't feel as warm as you think it might be.I'm just going to have a coffee and then pop out for a few bits and bobs.
It is so quiet outside.I can't hear any traffic on the A14 at all ,just the lovely sound of the birds singing :-D :-D

Frank

Frank Report 15 Apr 2014 11:25

Morning all/Evening Kim,

I thought I would start to look into my return flight from Tenerife, what a palaver you start on one site and print loads off. Then to another and do likewise. The time I have spent on here I could have flown to Tenerife :-D :-D :-D Still can't book in before the day before we fly home, but at least they have all our details, so it won't take long for John to book us in on his computer.

I also noticed. That going out we are allowed 10 kgs of cabin luggage BUT coming back we are only allowed 5 kgs. So some will have to go in the hold and we will have to pay extra.

I felt quite bad again last night. "Shaking all over" and very close to flying off the handle. I bit my tongue, like a good boy. Slept till 3.00 am and laid thinking of various things, I can't get my brain to shut down completely when I go to bed.

Madam has gone off with Carolyn SHOPPING. I wonder what she will bring back today, that I don't need or want for my holiday. <3 <3 <3

All blue sky's here again today, so I must get some seeds in, and it looks like the back lawn needs another cut !!!

Thinking of James today. Hope everything goes well for him, I'm sure it will.

Mel, Your OH wanted you to hear the lapping of the water. as he sat fishing :-D :-D

Well I'm off to the garden.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Apr 2014 09:20

Morning Mandy and all and evening Kim,

Sunny here again.

Sorry I did'nt come back on yesterday but I was into my cleaning for the company comi g down on Thursday. When the sun shines it makes you want to do things. Not like when it is dull and grey and you don't feel like doing anything.

I just had two calls from oh and avioce mail with just watery splashing noises on it. Had to ring him and tell him his phone must have been on!!

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 15 Apr 2014 08:44

Morning all,

Lovely sunny morning here ,the top of the car is white with frost !!

All the best to James as he starts his new job ,always a bit nerve racking that first day so i hope he gets on ok .

Shopping today ,got Chelsea here for the day tomorrow ,she wants to do all sorts and she has been writing a list of things to do !! i notice in the middle of the list she has written have a nap !! LOL think i might need one looking at the list !!

Well next door has seen another RAT !! this one was staggering about so i think the poison is working ,he said he got his air rifle out and shot it !!
Did you see on the news that there are two foot rats getting about !! that goodness these are not that size !!! :-S

Right washing machine has nearly finished so i'd better get the line pulled out .

BBL

Frank

Frank Report 14 Apr 2014 21:44

Still nobody want's to talk to us Jane, So I will sign off also.

Good night.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2014 19:49

William ,that must have been one huge bag!!.At least you have all you need now :-D

The smell of the Oil Seed Rape was so strong this afternoon.Especially at the front.It makes me feel ill :-S.I wonder how long this is going to last.It is getting really yellow now.I'll maybe take a pic from upstairs tomorrow and you will see what I mean about how we are just about surrounded by the stuff .
Just waiting for dinner and then I will be off to bed.My get up and go has got up and gone :-S

Frank

Frank Report 14 Apr 2014 19:35

Evening all,

Oh how your best plans don't work out.

I had every intention of planting SEEDS AND SPUDS. But I looked at the Parasol base ,that has the pole of the umbrella stuck in it, where it broke off. I decided I would get the remains of the pole out before doing anything else. After finding the electric drill and bits, I couldn't find the "chuck key" after searching the shed and garage I found TWO. I drilled and drilled to get about 4 inches of the pole out. Then came the fun and games. Getting the umbrella back in the hole. It was all on the Pi## I ended up hammering in big nails down the tube between the pole and the base. It's now upright. It took me about THREE HOURS. By this time I was knackered, and packed up for the day.

Had a call this evening from an old pal in Kettering (Alan Beddows) Jane will know who he is. I happened to refer to something about OAPs He said " May I correct you" we are not OAPs we are "SILVER SURFERS" So remember that you Youngsters. : :-D :-D :-D

The sunset is going to be a blinder. The clouds are full of rain, and the sun is so large as it's going down. I have just taken a few photo's

What a two and eight Will. They don't know weather they are coming and going. Can't you sent all the scripts, back. ???

It has been quiet here today, I have looked in a few times. but nothing to comment on !!!

William

William Report 14 Apr 2014 17:52

Hi everyone. We have just had a shock and I'm pleaded to say that this time nobody died.
I had a letter from the hospital after all my tests to say that our surgery was to put me on a specific medication, that arrived Wednesday and was dated April 3rd. Our surgery had no knowledge of it so on Friday I spoke to the Practice Manageress and even took a copy of the letter down. She promised she would get it into the system and this morning rang and said my prescription was ready and Carmel's one (ONE) specific item had been re-authorised.
I phoned the pharmacy we use to ask them to collect it and deliver the it here. Well at 4.30pm the bell rang and the delivery lady stood there with an enormous bag full of stuff.
Yes, my one little box of pills were there, BUT, every item, totaling 13 separate prescriptions, were all int eh bag also!!! I mean, there were things like test strip for her diabetic meter, they last forever and it's not long since we had a box full. Crazy, crazy, crazy - I don't know what the pharmacist made of it. She won't need to order any repeat scrips for a long while now.

Sorry to hear you ladies are having trouble with your plates. I am so enjoying not having my plate anymore, and am really enjoying my food once again. The bridge-work was well worth the money.

I've been out in the garden this afternoon, (sunny but still a chill wind) got all the solar lights working plus another 9 'rainbow' lights we got for £9.99p today. I have blitzed the pyracantha and filled up the green bin. Not finished it but no room for any more. Might ask the lass next door if I can use her bin to finish it off.

Oh yes, Saturday. Carmel had to go back to the hospital as her cataract wasn't right as I may have related here. We were there two hours, you know the drill, drops, eye tests, wait, see this one, see that one - until we finally got to the consultant. Now she has to go to University hospital Coventry again to having the special imaging camera again so that he can see more detail of what the problem may be. Nothing is simple in this life is it!

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2014 16:13

Quiet day here then !

Had a spot of lunch outside ,but the sun kept going in and then it felt chilly.But we stuck it out :-D.I am now much warmer indoors sorting out all the dry washing.I think I am going to leave the ironing for tomorrow.Ive got no oomph for that now.
Chris has just gone to the Summerhouse and James is out seeing one of his pals.I reckon he will be getting a reasonably early night tonight so he will be fresh in the morning for the start of his new job.

I am desperate for a cuppa now.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Apr 2014 12:19

Morning /Evening All

Where has the sun gone.It has been lovely but now clouding up.Lots of washing to go out so hopefully it will dry nicely.(Oh sun out again 'ish')

I have got some hoovering and window cleaning den this morning but started hacking again so have stopped for a bit.I think Fitz is coming up shortly to ask Chris something about Lawn Mowers.No doubt he will he here for a while so i better see if I have anything for lunch .I think it will just be Cheese and crackers.

Ann .Larry is loving his 'job' :-D.and is really getting into it.I think Janice gets a bit fed up hearing about it all the time lol.When they came here the other weekend she told him not to bore us to death .Poor Larry lol

Right I must get going and see what is in the fridge.BBL

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Apr 2014 10:26

Morning all and Frank and evening Kim,

You just beat me to it Frank as I was watching something on the telly that oh has left on and walked out.

Sunny here and I have a pile of ironing to do plus get the bin out and HW.

Frank

Frank Report 14 Apr 2014 10:19

Morning all/Evening Kim

Nothing to report since last night.

Ros is ironing , watching T.V. I'm about to put my gardening clobber on, and do a bit of seed planting, and get the spuds in. The lawns are looking like they need another trim as well.

I must water the front garden. It's looking a bit dry.

BBL

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 13 Apr 2014 23:13

We went off to the garden centre this afternoon. I got two cue plants and a courgette and marrow. O and one tom plant. Don't know what I am going to do with them. I shall have to sort something out but it may be after easter with company coming down. May try to clear a bit of the greenhouse.

Just watched the Muscateers and signing out now.

Night see you in the morning.

Frank

Frank Report 13 Apr 2014 23:03

jUST A QUICK LOOK IN BEFORE BED.

Sorry about caps.

Jane we are off on 24th April and back 2nd May. I've printed my boarding pass's and just need to know how and when I can book my return ones.

It must be very difficult for Janice, to know what to say to her Son or is it SIL ??
A break down in a relationship is very hard on the children, as I well know. It's good that the children are to young to know what's going on. I'm sure he will find his feet after a while, and settle down.

Ros had the mussels this evening and I had the crab. It was cooked but not dressed. It was a good job I knew what to do with it. I had a real feast on the claws and had TWO sarnies off the dark meat, with enough for one sandwich tomorrow lunchtime.

Off to beddi byes now. See you in the morning.

Annx

Annx Report 13 Apr 2014 22:52

Well I haven't seen my great nephew either Jane......it's the way it goes sometimes! I'm glad Janice is happy with her knee now. After all she went through I bet she's just glad it works well enough for what she needs to do. Is she still having to use the diet on any days or is she the weight she wants to be and just has to be careful? I know being lighter would help my knees too. How is Larry doing in his new role? I hope he is enjoying it and has settled into it now. I shall be off to Cornwall first mid-May. OH says he wants to go to see something at the Minack open air theatre if anything is on........better pack the big brollies!!!!! :-S

My back is twanging now so I'm off to bed. I don't think hunching over the keyboard helps. Still no word from David.....I wonder if his subs have ended? Sleep tight everyone and I hope no-one else is woken by ''barking''!!!! lol. :-)

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2014 20:02

Ann I think Janice has had strong words with Michel on that subject lol.Plus tying a knot in something too ;-)It is such a pity it hasn't worked out but better in a way they split now before William and James are old enough to be upset .I still haven't seen James and who knows when now.
Janice's knee is doing brilliantly :-D It became so much easier for her when she lost all that weight.it will never be totally right but she is happy with it now.I just hope she won't need the other one doing for a long time.

Frank when is it you are off to Tenerife? Not long I think.I was getting all excited earlier thinking it was just a month before we go to Antwerp.......How wrong was I .It is not until June :-S :-S
Not long for you though Ann :-D.I can't remember which place you are going to first ??

Well I am still waiting for my Dinner :-S.James and Jess have had theirs as Jess has to get the train home at 8.40.Chris had a full English with Hannah at lunch time and so he is still not that hungry.I said i am prepared to wait until 8.30 BUT NO LATER.
I still need an early night......plus I want to watch Crimson Fields

Frank

Frank Report 13 Apr 2014 19:18

Evening all,

What a nice day it's been. I prepared dinner for tonight before 10.30 this morning. Got showered and sat and read the paper with toast and marmalade, and a nice cup of coffee.

Ros asked me to call down at the garage sale, to see if I wanted anything. :-D :-D
No way !! but I did go down and sat and chatted to the women.

I then made my way to the pub, something I haven't done for years on a Sunday lunchtime. Had a couple of pints, and wonder home, in time to have the football on the radio.

I put the beef in on 100 degrees at 2.00 pm When I got it out to rest at 4.45 pm it was done to a treat. I put Roasts in the oven and the pudding. The pudding rose so high it went between the top rack. !! We had a lovely dinner.

Ros loaded the dishwasher, and I sat and had forty winks.

I have watered the patio. some of the plants were beginning to wilt. so needed a drink.

Endeavour on later, so will watch that.

I see Mo could only make 8th place today. But as it's not his type of race, I think he did well.

Glad everyone has had a nice day, and the weather held out for most of us. Ros got slight sun burn on her neck today, sitting in the sun.

Annx

Annx Report 13 Apr 2014 18:57

What a shame for little William Jane now he's got used to a new mummy. Sounds like it might be an idea for daddy to take things more slowly with future partners. ;-) Much as she loves seeing William, at least it will be less work for your sister if he's at nursery part of the time. How is her poor knee now by the way? I always think that Normandy (or Somerset in my case!) Pork is nice and easy and can be cooked ahead of time. We've had it with rice before, works well as the sauce is so tasty!! :-)

Yes please Fiona, lamb followed by strawberries and icecream will do nicely!! :-D lol. Your hubby has done well getting the toilet and floor sorted. I bet it looks very different in there now, unless you are missing the 'tan' colour! ;-)

Did Ros get anything at the garage sales Frank? At least she didn't have far to carry them if she did!

I 've potted up my plants and then did some trimming and weeding. Doesn't it get your back when you first start these things after the winter!! I shall be oohing and aahing tomorrow I bet. The Pigeons are back round my big water pot again! :-S I had a look inside it today and there are little Newt eggs attached to a water plant. I think some of those that OH fished out of the pond when we had it and took to the pond in the field at the back must have come 'home'. lol.