General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 2 + 1 of 2736

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annx

Annx Report 22 Jun 2017 20:51

Oh my goodness, I had a pink net underskirt! For some strange reason mum decided it was what I needed to go on a canoeing holiday in France when I was 15!!! :-S I was a tomboy anyway so it never got worn on the holiday. The few times I did wear it afterwards it scraped my legs like Jane said and was most uncomfortable. I seem to remember you had to be careful sitting down as the front would lift up and show all you had underneath!!

I was thinking you still had the dress you wore at Fitz's son's wedding Jane but I now remember you selling it too! There are a lot of floral prints this year. At least they wouldn't show any G&T spills! :-) lol. It can be tricky getting the right jewellery to go with some prints though. I would find it a nightmare trying to find a dress that fit and suited me now. :-S What's the position now with the planning application for next door?

Mel we had awful trouble at my old house when we were cementing the paths all around the lawn. The birds kept jumping on them and they were done with white portland cement. In the end we had to cover each section with polythene strips wrapped around bricks. Of course Pheasants have giant feet in comparison so the damage would be worse. I had to chuckle at the idea of them getting stuck!! That always happened in cartoons didn't it. I have used an old toothbrush to clean under the toilet rim before!

We had to learn that rhyme in Latin at senior school.....

Ardet Roma, ardet Roma
Vigiles et vigilate
En, en flammae
Aquam ferte, aquam ferte

can't remember the rest!

It's a good job you didn't mow the lawns after all Frank!! At least they will be able to be treated now. I think I would have made sure I kept on the good side of that chap to avoid cleaning the urinals with a toothbrush too Frank!!

I do wear some of the jewellery I make Anne and lately I have been trying to make things in colours that will go with what I wear, rather than just what looks pretty. I'm quite keen on long necklaces at the moment and fancy making something with tassels of beads spaced out along it.

Off to bed to watch the Supervet now.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Jun 2017 19:38

Prickly net petticoats is what I remember Mandy. They were so itchy and pricked my legs. Several layers too.It was like a kithchen scourer :-S :-S

I went for a lovely emerald green colour on the 2 dresses that have gone back. One had a pattern down part of the front of the dress with Birds and branches . (sounds weird) but it was very pretty. Yes the last time I was ordering dressses for a wedding was for Fitz's sons wedding. I think I ordered 4 all together .Kept 2 .Wore one and the other one is still unworn in my wardrobe. I might well end up wearing that. It is all Tropical colours. Janice sold the one I wore for the wedding on Ebay for me.It was a Jacque Vert one ,I paid a bomb for it ,so someone got a good bargain for £45 !
I have decided though I will not pay as much again for a dress I will wear just once.

It is nice and cool outside now. Bliss just to have a bit of fresh air now. Thomas has gone AGAIN and disappeared under the hedge. We have picked out first lot of Peas and Broad Beans today :-D. That is our veg for tonight. Chris kept telling me off for eating the peas as we were shelling them LOL But they were so sweet .The Broad beans are not my favourite veg,but are Chris's.I think we are going ot get a good load of both veg :-D
I love this time of year when we can eat our our own 'home grown'.

Chris has just arrived from the council meeting so I had better start getting our meal.
Youngs Beer Battered Cod, McCains Triple cooked chips and the Peas and Broad Beans :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 22 Jun 2017 18:27

Evening all,

We had thunder and lightning this morning but only a little rain ,not enough to do any good for the garden so i'll need to water later .

I bet Shirl carn't wait for August to come she sounds so excited ,i hope we get to see some photo's.

Oh dear Mel naughty Pheasant ,it's a good job it wasn't quite drying cement and he lingered in it ,you might have ended up with a garden statue !!!

Lovely photo of the sunset last night Ann and Jane what strange looking clouds ,they looked just like the trails left by the planes that have been blown wider by the wind .

Gill your mum sounded really pleased with all your hard work ,i think we tend to think our parents can manage and will go on doing things for ever just as we do but i think there comes a time when they do need a little help .

Jane i think you sent for and tried several dresses the last time you had a wedding to go to didn't you , have you a colour in mind for your dress ?i don't know what the colours are for this summer ,there seems to be lots of prints in the shops .
I was only thinking the other day about dresses i had when i was little ,i remember having a nice lilac gingham dress and one that had the print of Lilac flowers on .
I also like to play dress up with my sisters layered net petticoats they were far to long but i use to pull them on and walk about in them i felt so grown up .

Jane

Jane Report 22 Jun 2017 17:38

Afternoon All

Our Shirl will be so excited about going back to Scotland . It has been a very long time since she was last home.

Frank, maybe now you won't be able to cut the lawns for a few days will give you a bit more time for your neck and shoulder to ease.

Mel,I bet the air was blue!!.It's not as though the Pheasant and little tribe didn't have anywhere else to put there big feet. LOL

Thomas and Chris have both been odd today. I am sure it is to do with all the heat over the last week.It is much better today even though still very close.We had some rumbles of thunder this morning but hardly any rain. The chap who came to service the Burglar alarm said just the other side of town had had a load of hail.So it just missed us.

Gill what a lot of work you all got done for your Mum. Bless her having a few tears .She is obviously so grateful for all the hard work. Hope OH can get the other bits of glass for her greenhouse.

I have been on the computer looking for an outfit/dress for Matthew and Kelsey 's wedding at he beginning of September. I did order 2 silk dresses but I couldn't get them over my boobs :-S :-S.So have had to send them back. I think they are made in China and I now realise that the sizing is not the same as ours. So I won't be going for silk again lol

Hannah was just telling me that she tried to get to her Gym the morning after the attack in Finsbury Park .But it was so chaotic and every road was cordoned off.She could see the Gym but just not able to get to it. She hadn't heard about what had happened the night before.

Chris and Fitz have just left to go to a Council Meeting.Hopefully it won't be a long one. as Chris really didn't feel like going.

Frank

Frank Report 22 Jun 2017 16:11

Mel, That brings back memories. National Service, if you were in the NCOs bad books that was a job for that person, toothbrush to clean the urinal. Thank GAWD I never fell out with him. This was at Basic Training March 1958. I doubt it would happen these days.

It's surprising what big feet these Pheasants have. I bet your OH was well pleased. NOT. LOL LOL

I have been a real lazy so and so today. My neck and shoulder has been a right Bu@@er. So after my S &S I got dinner ready for tonight, and sat reading. My dear Ros has been weeding the stones down the garden by the shed and greenhouse. She won't let me spray it until she gets all the grass and weeds out.

I'm glad I didn't do the lawns. I have "GREEN THUMB" coming in the morning to do the summer treatment, and I can't cut the grass three days either side of the treatment. So providing it's fine on Monday that's a job for me. !! Nurse in the morning for my injection, and I must make an appointment to get my bloods done.

Been a much better day for everyone, even though it's still very warm.

Hope you have all had a good day. Might see you later.

Gillx

Gillx Report 22 Jun 2017 15:18

Oh no Mel, poor OH having to do the work again and again, lets hope the pheasants keep off it until it's dry now. It sounds like you've been busy too.

I've finished my housework for today and now I'm catching up with some programmes I recorded as the planner is getting full and I need the space to record the F1 at the weekend.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jun 2017 14:43

Oh was getting on so well until the pheasents arrived and walked all through his level cement leaving great foot prints in it. He leveled it over again and came in for lunch and as we were sittin g at the table they came back and worked their way up the next bit he had sone!! He was not pleased. :-| :-|

I have been bleaching the bathroom shower tiles as every so often I get an old toothbrush and give it a good clean. It took me all mornig to do the shower and loo. No I did'nt clean the loo with the toothbrush. I have washed the floor and just have to clean the handbasin now and the windows in there. Then its the little loo.

BBL

Gillx

Gillx Report 22 Jun 2017 11:20

I see you noticed the hedgehog programme Mel, I recorded it and have just watched it, Sandra thought it was brilliant, wasn't the baby cute?
It sounds like you're going to have a house full at the weekend. Hope the cream works for you, at least you know what it is now, so hopefully it'll be cleared sooner rather than later. With a bit of luck the rain will keep away until your OH has finished the cementing.

That's a good idea to put cold water in the hot water bottles Jane, I bet you got some funny looks when you bought them in a heat wave :-) Those dresses you bought really suit you and they look very comfy.

Hope your neighbours dog is okay Ann, the poor thing being left outdoors in such hot weather. At least there's a bit of shade. Loved the things you've been making in beading class, you are clever. Pleased to hear you got the top you wanted, good idea to get it in two colours, if you're anything like me if you'd had only got the one you would of ended up going back for the other one as well.

It sounds like you've had a great time in the pool Mandy, I envy you with all the hot weather we've had, the best I can hope for is standing under the hose pipe :-D
Poor Molly, I hope she is recovering okay now.

So Tony had a real blitz on his garden then Frank. I suppose cutting one bush is a real blitz to him, the lazy so and so. Sorry to hear Val upset Ros. It sounds like you had a nice time away, so that should make up for the comment. How lovely to receive a card off Simon, I bet that was a really nice surprise, I'm sure he'll keep in touch, but like you said, in his own time. Sorry to hear about your sister, you are right she should be having help with things like that. Hope she's okay.

Ruby's not daft Anne, sitting in front of the fan, they do learn quickly don't they? Hope no harm came to the horses yesterday in all that heat. Were the triples okay transporting them in the car. I remember the heat wave of 76 seeing on the news people cooking eggs on car bonnets. It said on the news the other day that a road had started melting in the sun, it's been that hot.

OH has just got back from mum's, he couldn't get anymore glass as the supplier they normally use has gone bust, so they're having to use a new supplier and won't have any glass in stock until Friday or Saturday. Apparently OH bought the last two pieces of glass they had yesterday.

Going to get something to eat now, I'm really hungry.

Frank

Frank Report 22 Jun 2017 10:45

Good morning my little flowers, Evening Kim,

Was on top of the bed most of the night, and up by 7.00 am. I opened doors and windows as everywhere seemed stuffy. Soon after we had a shower for all of 30 seconds. Just like stones hitting the conservatory roof, then it was gone. The humidity is very high here still.

Gill pleased you got Mums garden done for her, she will be pleased.

Jane, I had a call from Sally last night thanking me for the flowers, she was on the phone for a good half hour, and called me "DAD" throughout the call. She said now I have her number, I can call whenever I want. She will do her best to keep Simon in touch with me. But being a stubborn Bu@@er like me, he will no doubt to it in his own time.

Phoned my sister this morning. She has had another fall, getting out of the bath. I would have thought a district nurse would be calling to help her doing things like that. I can see I will have to have words with her or her Son.

I see we are going to be INVADED by a Canadian SCOT. I do hope she enjoys her trip to the "OLD COUNTRY" I sure she will be made most welcome. On her return to Canada she will have some lovely memories of the trip.

Anne, I can understand RUBY not wanting to move far from the fan, and yes those poor horses chasing around Ascot, they must be completely Knackered. I hope they get a good hosing down after the race.

Mel, How nice for your OH to have your windows cleaned before you got up. I bet he was glad to get a wash down yesterday after all that hard work. LOL.

Off to get showered and shaved, and be ready for what the day has to offer. NOT MUCH I expect. I might try the back lawn later if the weather holds.

Anne, You little devil dragging your OH to another Garden Centre in this weather, !! hope your dress's fit and are nice and comfortable. xx

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jun 2017 10:24

Anyone remember singing Rounds at school. I just found myself singing;-

London's burning, London's burning.
Fetch the engines, fetch the engines.
Fire fire, Fire Fire!
Pour on water, pour on water.

Fire fire, Fire Fire!

Fire fire, Fire Fire!

Annx

Annx Report 22 Jun 2017 10:21

Morning All,

Much cooler this morning thank goodness. I might actually get something done today.

Gill you did work hard at your mum's and I think if anyone had done that for me I would have shed a few tears too. I expect she may have been a bit worried about the garden on top of not being well. I'm glad the cooler weather is making her feel better and what you have done will have given her a real boost.

Mel, we have our own towels in the bathroom too, but we share the hand towel in the kitchen and uti. What I could never understand at work years ago was that some couples shared a toothbrush!!!!! They seemed to think it romantic. Yuk, yuk!!! I hope it stays dry long enough for your OH's cement to set ok. He's done well cleaning the windows too.

Anne I don't think they should hold horse races in the hot weather. I wouldn't ride my ponies in heat like we've had lately and if it was at all hot I'd go in the early morning or evening. They must feel it just like us and other animals.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jun 2017 10:01

Thats good work you did yesterday on your mums garden Gill. I don't blame her having a few tears at what you had achieved in that time. I am off now to do some cleaning and feed the wild birds first. Washing machine is on but I bet I won't get such a good dry as in previous days with this cloud about.

Hope it dos'nt rain yet as oh is laying cement for the blocks to go on.

Gillx

Gillx Report 22 Jun 2017 09:39

Morning Mel morning all

It's raining here Mel, the fine stuff so the garden can soak it in better. That's the thing when it's been dry for so long if you get a good downpour it just runs off, slow and steady at first is better for the garden I think.

Mum's feeling much better now the weather has cooled down a bit, we spent the whole day yesterday sorting her garden out and finished what we had planned just before it rained so that was good timing. Mum's got her cleaner going this morning and OH has just left to finish off putting in the glass (two pieces) in her greenhouse, he could only get hold of a couple of pieces yesterday so he's nipped to the glass place before going to hers, then he's taking her rubbish to the tip. There's still a bit more work to do in her garden, the fences need painting and she want us to put in a few plants once she's bought them, but she's very pleased with the results so far. She was so pleased she cried....bless her. I must admit it was a real mess with weeds almost 2 foot high. It took OH Sandra and I 8 hours to make it tidy.

I haven't caught up with all the posts yet so will do that later. Hope everyone is okay.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Jun 2017 09:09

Morning all,

Cloudy here today, whats it like with you. They say on the forcast that was our mini heatwave.

Got up this morning to find oh has cleaned the windows, how nice. He is outside now mixing up cement.

I shall be shower cleaning today and the little loo and dust the hall.

Nice to hear from Shirl and a trip of a lifetime in the offing I see. Hope she has a safe journey over here. <3

Anne

Anne Report 21 Jun 2017 20:01

Hotter than ever today 34 degrees in the garden, I feel sorry for the horses running at Ascot it's 10 minutes by car from here so bound to be as hot. Ruby is laying flat out in front of one of the fans and has been most of the day.

I haven't done much today ,no way I could attempt to do any ironing. Ros must be a saint. No HW either today for me Mel you are another star.

Frank I'm so pleased for you to have a Father's day card from Simon he obviously intends to stay in touch, have you heard how your sister is?

Fancy Molly eating all those liquorice sweets not good news for her tummy, it was good she went to the vet to stop her being sick...

Those bracelets were so pretty Ann, do you wear them yourself? That poor little dog being left on it's own all day and shut outside in this weather.

We have been watching The Loch as well, Jane as you say it is very good, haven't watched Poldark this time round. A smelly bonfire is the last thing you need with all your windows open.

We had ham and potato gratin with broccoli, sweet corn and peas this evening, hardly any preparation involved as the gratin was Sainsbury's own.

I remember when it was this hot 40 years ago Peter's Mum was doing the catering for a wedding and the kitchen the food was being prepared was a couple of miles away from where the reception was being held so the food had to be transported by car to the venue. We had several large trifles in the back of our car on one of the journeys and no air con then in the car.

Annx

Annx Report 21 Jun 2017 18:56

OH did grimace a bit when I said I wanted to pop in the garden centre Jane but I promised we would be in and out in minutes and we were!! It was stifling in there!! I can just imagine James heading straight for the freezer!! lol.

I'd better go and water the wall pots now. I hope OH will get the hose out when he gets home.

I'd forgotten that it's the longest day today!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Jun 2017 18:52

We both have always had our own flannels and towels and I have a foot towel always too.

I have worn myself out now. Been right through the kitchen diner with the hoover and wow betide any spider that spins a web. :-|

I have just put a chicken crown in the oven with lemon and onions. I have brocc and carrots to go with it and new pots. Can't be bothered with anything else.

Oh came in from mowing and strippe off on the decking. You should have seen the colour of his neck!!! I took a bowl of water out and washed him down while he sat looking in the pond. I did his whole back and neck. The water was black by the time I had finished.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jun 2017 18:19

I just wear my cotton gloves to drive when the steering wheel is too hot to handle.

Frank I meant to say I was so happy for you that you had a card from Simon.I hope you can soon get his number. Sally will love the flowers you have sent :-D

I have been on Anti fungal tablets now for a couple of months. My toenails look a lot different and the GP was sure my fingers would clear up too .But that is not happening.The creams too don't seem to be doing the trick either .So roll on July 10th when I get to see the Dermatologist.

That was lucky Ann getting your 2 tops today :-D :-D I always buy 2 of things like that if I like them as I know they would be gone if I left it and went back again. That has happened too many times . I couldn't imagine anything worse than being in a Garden Centre today !.

I hope Molly's Liquorice All sorts have finally worked the way through ! Glad I didn't have any cleaning up to do. Dogs are dreadful .I have lost count of the number of times my Sisters dogs have eaten things in the kitchen that they shouldn't have. All with drastic results :-S :-S

James is home ..He headed straight to the freezer for Ice

Annx

Annx Report 21 Jun 2017 17:45

That's a good idea to use a towel Mel. My steering wheel is padded so doesn't get as bad as OH's but I have a metal gear knob like I had on my previous car and they get boiling hot. Methinks I shall drape the duster I keep in the car over it and see if that helps! :-)

Oh Frank, I don't think Tony knows what hard work is if he only clipped a bush. Fancy Val saying that to Ros, goodness knows what she'd say to me as I never really get much of a tan. I've only really sat out in the evening to cool down ready for going to bed these last few days as I can't stand the heat in the day.

The garden centre with the top I got bought another garden centre last year near where we went today, so we called in to see if they had any like the one I wanted ........and they did!! :-) I liked the pink one and the blue one and to save making my mind up I got both!! We were going to go to the retail park after as I notice Superdrug are stocking the Mane 'n Tail shampoo I had that has now run out and OH had a voucher to use at W H Smith. The heat at the Garden Centre was stifling though so we came home and flopped instead.

Fancy Molly liking the liquorice allsorts Mandy, now they know they'll have to keep them out of her way in future. I can imagine some not very pleasant cleaning up to do afterwards. Has she met Max yet?

Mel, did you see a different doctor? if it is a fungus the cream should soon help. I think you have to make sure no-one else uses the same towels if it is. Mum had it on her fingers once and then I got it in a toenail. Hers cleared up fast and mine took a few years to clear as it was in the nail bed.

OH has just gone off to a meeting and I am sitting with the tower fan next to me. He was up with the lark this morning and cleared a few barrow loads of soil to lower the path level down the side ready for the man coming next week. He's doing it in small stints every other day and only half filling the bags so they aren't too heavy, mindful of setting off his sciatica and that his bones aren't full strength.

I'll get me another glass of water now and then start looking at house insurance quotes.

Jane

Jane Report 21 Jun 2017 17:41

Afternoon All
Chris and I have done absolutely nothing today other than sit by the fans and flop.
We watched the 2 episodes of The Loch. Ooh it is good.
It is stifling now. We are swapping beds tonight and he is going in Hannahs bed.I find her bed too hot .I think it is the topper thing that holds my body heat. Saying that I was actually quite comfortable there last night.Thomas joined me for a while but then had me up at 4.40 again.He was full of flipping beans and went for my leg when I moved it.Maybe he thought here was a rabbit under the sheet. I have a nice long scratch now :-S

Mel have you got the Canesten Cream? There is something about that word Fungal isn't there?. Lets hope this works now for you. It will maybe take a couple of weeks .

Maybe Val is a bit colour blind like you Frank and thought Ros's lovely tan was white instead of brown LOL.

I wonder if we will get any of the Thunderstorms here.It does look like it may be possible. Hopefully Thomas will come in before anything happens.

We tried opening everything at the front to see if we could get some kind of breeze to blow through the house.But like you Frank Nothing :-S
The 2 Hot water bottles are in the FRIDGE :-D I just had a feel and oh boy do they feel good :-D. I think every fan is on full blast here but not really making much impact.

James is on his way home now.He is having Curry tonight !!. Not for us. I am having some kind of Risotto and Chris a Cottage Pie and Veg. (all ready meals)

I hope you have a peaceful day today Ann with no barking dog.

How are Ruby and Max? No doubt justwanting the coolest place to lie down. I would quite fancy lying on the cool tiles in the kitchen .(But I would never get up again :-D)

Next door has just has a really stinky bonfire :-S :-S Are they crazy!!!! Yep I think so.