General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 6 + 1 of 1730

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Fiona

Fiona Report 10 Apr 2014 11:20

Morning All, Evening Kim

Hope everyone who has coughs & sneezes are feeling better,

Had a lovely time at Di maggio's last night to celebrate OH birthday. Katherine & Jake had booked a table for 6 which puzzled me as there was only the 4 of us, then Katherine said I hope you don't mind I have invited someone else, and just as we sat down in came Victoria with Sofia & Matteo :-D :-D :-D.
Sofia was excited and sang happy birthday to granddad. and Matteo sat and clapped his hands, then got off his mamma knee and went run about all over the place poor Victoria didn't get a minutes peace till the Pizza came and she stuck Matteo in a high chair.
Have taken a few photo's will send them on.

Frank

Frank Report 10 Apr 2014 10:23

Morning all/Evening Kim.

Slept like a log till 3.00 am, then lain for an hour, and dropped off again till 8.30

We are all fed and watered, and I am going to start to put the new weatherboard on the shed. Hope I don't fall in the pond.

The patio table Ros wants isn't in stock, and has to ring each day to see if they have arrived. They have ordered SEVEN for the whole store.

Beautiful morning here again, Wall to wall sunshine and blue sky's.

Looks like the Turtle doves are thinking of nesting in the Cherry tree. They are flying in and out with little twigs .

Hope your oh has a good day's fishing Mel, What a nice day for it.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 10 Apr 2014 09:22

Morning all and evening Kim,

Misty start here today and a little chilly in the house but the sun is trying to shine so lets hope it burns the mist off.

Oh has gone to Legge Farm lakes again today so I am home alone at the mo.

Frank

Frank Report 9 Apr 2014 23:13

It was smashing. Mel.

This afternoon I decided that after dismantling the Patio table and putting it in the drive for the "RAG AND BONE MAN" I would have a shower and shave, and take Ros and Lewis out for a meal. While sitting at the table Lewis asked if we could go and watch Man Utd. tonight. Ros dropped us off at 7.00 pm. The match didn't start till 7.45 pm. So I had a couple of beers, then TONY turned up and we had a few more. By the time we left I was on my seventh pint. To say the least I think I will sleep tonight, provided I'm not in and out for a pee. !!!

I'm now ready to fall into bed, so wish you all good night, see you in the morning.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 9 Apr 2014 22:22

Hope all have a good night sleep tonight especially Jane who has had some nasty nights lately.

We did'nt hear how the lemon marangue went did we.

Saying night night now.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 9 Apr 2014 21:30

Ann I thought of that too infact I have one of those tiny dremmel drills with lot of heads and as I used to make those tiny minitures for dolls houses I should think I could do it better than she did. I have to keep them in tonight.

Thing is she never showed me how to take them out and see if I could get them back in again which I thought was a bit naughty as this is the first time I have had to wear any.

Annx

Annx Report 9 Apr 2014 20:10

Smooth it off with a bit of sandpaper Mel! ;-)

Annx

Annx Report 9 Apr 2014 20:08

Evening All,

Yes it will soon be bedtime coming around again Jane!!! I have nights with little sleep like that quite often, but when you have a hacking cough it is awful and seems relentless, especially when your ribs start to hurt from it. I usually take a glass of diluted lime juice to bed with me to help stop the tickle. Hopefully you HAVE turned the corner now and will start to feel better. Poor Chris smashing his phone on the floor. I bought a rubber cover for my phone as soon as I got it. It doesn't look too special as it covers most of it, but as I said to OH, at least I'm less likely to get mugged for it as it doesn't look posh enough!! :-)

Things are moving on then Fiona with your favourite tan colour now all removed! :-) It will soon be looking great. You are lucky your hubby does so much and does cooking as well. I would be the one shortening the trousers here!! lol. Luckily M*S suits could have been made to measure for OH they fit him so well. Sometimes they run out of trousers in his length and I end up shortening some. He's chucked a few of his older suits out since he retired......the ones that he reckoned had shrunk! :-D He still has over 10 suits though. It was his daily attire all his working life as he liked to keep standards up and look professional.......no brown or green ones though.

Oh Frank, I can just smell that lemon meringue! I love it, but the home made ones are the best and most lemony! I haven't made one for years, but occasionally buy one. I hope Lewis and Ros are barking less today and hope that you don't catch it!! That woman in the pub must have driven you mad talking! We sometimes find there's one like that in the cinema before the main film starts.....never seem to pause for breath and it's usually a woman! I hope you haven't had to see your 'white friend' too often!

Ruby you are going to be busy this year, it sounds like you may need a hat or two! It's no fun clambering about on public transport when your knees and hips hurt, but I hope the swimming helps. I just wish I could get slim enough to face the ordeal of putting a swimsuit on!! I used to love swimming, but don't think I've been for over 30 years now! :-0

I nipped back to the reservoir garden centre today for 3 more plants and found they'd closed the road where it is. Luckily there was just a gap for access to it. It's the road that holds the water back so maybe it was for maintenance checks to be done. I nearly came cropper in the greenhouse there. I whizzed round a corner with the 3 plants I wanted and nearly went headfirst over an Alsation lying across the pathway!! I haven't seen him there before and he looked just as surprised to see me! I've also painted the loft hatch and managed the steps ok with my knees. I had the windows open till just so most of the fumes have gone now. I'm hoping it won't need another coat.

Oh Mel, at least it's all done now. You will feel like you have a brick in your mouth to start with with the plastic and it will be strange eating. It will be good to see if you can pick up the hedgehogs on your camera.

We heard a lot of mooing and bellowing earlier. The farmer has put 3 young bullocks in the field at the back. They are all jet black and very muscular so we think they might be offspring from the black bull (Istanbul!) that was in there with his ladies last summer. If their temperament is like their dad they should be fine. Not like that poor couple from Glen Parva where I used to live that were attacked by that bull that was known to be aggressive. The farmer here did put a fence along the public footpath across the field.

Right I'm watching episode 2 of The Widower now!

Magpie

Magpie Report 9 Apr 2014 19:57

Busy old day here!!! Two pussies are now ensconced in one of our sitting rom chairs, having spent the day playing in the garden and generally getting into mischief. They really are a pair of sweet little cats, the little girl is so much smaller than her brother but holds her own in play fights even though he bites and kicks her!! We nearly had Stella too!! L was in two minds about taking her as they are going to the New Forest and there has been all that tra la about dogs picking up a virus that has actually killed some pets. She has decided to take her as Alice and Ed wanted her to go with them, L has decided to keep her on the lead for any short Forest weeing walks, and to take her elsewhere for a proper walk - think this should be ok, and I can't say I was that sorry as Stella is an active girl!! Pussies are here for a week so it should be lively!
Jane, perhaps Jess will get a job near you, and move in !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)
Glad you are getting your mouth sorted Mel, once it is all done and dusted you will be really pleased and able to settle down and forget about wobbly teeth. Kedgeree for supper, we hadn't had it for ages and it was absolutely delicious.
Hope all you sick people are feeling better

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 9 Apr 2014 19:34

It's now past 7.30 and I need to get some dinner on. Oh is having chilli and I am going to have bacon egg and beans because thats what I fancy. :-P

Side of the small plate I have at the moment keeps catching my tongue. Bit sharp there.

Jane

Jane Report 9 Apr 2014 19:03

Well I am here at last.I haven't had the pooter on at all today.I just didn't feel like it at all.Last night was just awful.I think i probably only got a couple of hours sleep.It was just cough ,cough ,cough :-S :-S.I think I might just have turned the corner now.I hope so as I have the hairdressers tomorrow afternoon and I really don't want to miss that as it is so difficult to get another appointment with Nigel.

Gosh Ruby you do have a lot going on this year :-D.You will have to start saving those pennies lol.The job that James has just been offered is actually the one he wanted as he thinks it will take him further than the other ones.Obviously he will starting from scratch so it will all be new to him,but I am sure he will do well once he gets his teeth into it :-D.Does your Son have to do a lot of travelling with his work? and when he does ,does he get the chance to see the places he goes to ,or is it just meetings and then home again?

Mel I bet you are relieved it is all done now.I imagine it must feel very strange without those 2 teeth.

Happy Birthday to your OH Fiona.I hope you all have a nice meal .It is also my Sisters birthday today.I would normally ring her but I had to text her this morning instead as I would have just been coughing and wheezing too much down the phone.

James has just gone off to Northampton to pick Jess up from the station.She only went home on Sunday.I had no idea she was coming back again so soon lol.
I suppose this will be the last chance for them to spend more time together ,as once James starts work he will only have the weekends.Heaven knows how they are going to cope with that.

Frank how is that tummy tonight.Have you said goodbye to your 'white friend' now.
You said Lewis was making a Lemon Meringue Pie.I haven't had that for years.My Mum used to make enormous ones :-D

Chris had to get to Milton Keynes for 8am today as he had an appointment at the Apple Store.He dropped his iPhone on the kitchen floor the other day and smashed the front of it.Anyway they can't fix it so he has had to pay £200 for a new one.I said why didn't he claim on our insurance ,but we have a £200 excess so it made no sense to do that.So it was a very early start for him as he was up at 5.30.I got my first cuppa then as needless to say I was sat up in bed hacking away.I have been in the spare room now since Sunday.Tomorrow is the last nigh I can stay there as Hannah will be back on Friday and it is her bed..I think I will be doing a deep clean in there before she gets home as all my germs will be lingering :-S :-S
We all have different food tonight.I have a ready made Moussaka ,Chris has a ready Chicken Casserole,and James and Jess will have a Duck dish.Chris very thoughtfully realised i wouldn't be up for cooking tonight so got all this when he was in MK this morning.Now I love a Moussaka,but I won't be able to taste it as my sense of taste has gone :-S :-S
OMG it is 7 o'clock !!!!!.I thought it was much earlier.

Fiona

Fiona Report 9 Apr 2014 18:03

Going out for an early dinner to dimaggio's pizza restaurant to celebrate my Franks birthday with katherine & Jake. it will make a change for him not to have to cook the dinner :-D :-D

Ruby

Ruby Report 9 Apr 2014 16:43

Hello everyone,

We are having a beautiful sunny day here. On Monday it rained most of the day, and when I opened the door Tuesday morning, everything was suddenly so much greener. Things are growing like crazy. The birds are so busy building; tulips are gorgeous. Are your tulips in bloom Frank? I know you planted loads of bulbs.

My eldest son went to Sweden last week for a meeting and was supposed to come home Saturday, but Lufthansa was on strike. Anyway, he didn't get home until Monday night. I was so glad to have him home, safe and sound. He found it to be very expensive there. I think he's going to Brussels next. I wish he could take me with him. Actually though, I think my flying days are over. I have too much knee and hip problems now.

Mel, I'm pleased for you that you got your dental visit over with. Not a very pleasant thing to have to do. Occasionally I see a man with gold teeth at the front. :-D :-D

I'm so glad that your son has a job Jane. Even if it's not quite what he wants, he can continue to look. At least he's in work. I hope Fiona's husband will find what he wants also.

I got up at 7am which is very unusual for me, but grandson was getting an award of the month, so I wanted to be there at his school. We all do our best with the little ones don't we? Speaking of little ones - I'm going to be a great grandmother again. This GD has been married for 3 years, and this will be their first baby - due in Oct., so it's early days yet. Her sister is 21 today, and she will be getting married in July. Their brother is about to graduate from Clemson U., which is here in SC., so it's going to be a very busy year in their family. Lots of expense too Frank!!!!!!!!!

I hope you poorly ones are feeling better. I'm going to meet some friends this afternoon to play Scrabble.

William, if you're looking in, it's about time to bring all the little critters out for the summer. I'm working on it, very slowly. I work for 10 mins. and rest for an hour!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 9 Apr 2014 14:29

Been back about an hour and a half. Have half a mouthful of plastic now. It did'nt hurt much at all even the injection in the front was'nt that bad.

Hungry now and I can't remember how long she said to leave it before having something to eat or drink.

Fiona

Fiona Report 9 Apr 2014 14:03

Afternoon All

Well yesterday OH had a solicitors app in Glasgow so I managed to get a lift in to do some shopping, and then when OH was finished we met up for a coffee and then went to buy him a new suit for his interviews, took only an hour which was good, and then came home, we will have to go back next week to collect the suit as it needed an inch taken in at the waist ( all that bike riding and swimming has paid off)and an inch or so off the trouser hems. :-D :-D

Toilet walls stripped, sink and vanity unit gone and toilet gone, Yippee great to see the tan sink & toilet gone.
I keep out the way until OH says he wants a brew or needs my help, other wise OH gets annoyed if I am under his feet.

weather here cloudy but not cold, managed to wear a light rain coat and shoes ,glad to get the boots off. when I went for coffee this morning.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 9 Apr 2014 11:12

Nearly ready for the off now so wish me luck please?

Hope Jane is feeling better this morning and how are you and Ros today and of course Lewis, with your colds?

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 9 Apr 2014 11:11

I forgot to tell you over a week ago we have baby blue tits in one of our nest boxes as I heard all the shouting from them.

Frank they are probably taking tiny caterpillas from the cherry tree. Blue tits time their young to when the hawthorn is getting its leaves for the tiny moth catterpillas it gets on it. They are a main diet for baby blue tits.

Frank

Frank Report 9 Apr 2014 11:05

Morning all/Evening Kim.

Bright blue sky's here Mel, with hardly any breeze. So I think we are in for a reasonable day.

Lewis is in the kitchen making a lemon merangue (sp) pie. It smells lovely, that real lemony smell, wafting in to the lounge. Can't wait for it to be ready.

While I was out last night ROS found a new Patio Table at B & # So that's on the shopping list as well.

I have been having trouble with constipation, so took a couple of pills last night. Have been FOUR TIMES this morning. So I won't be going shopping. Ros and Lewis can go on their own. I will stay close to my" WHITE FRIEND"

The blue tits are having a great time. Picking the blossom from the cherry tree, and flying off with it for their nests. I haven't found if they are in any box's yet.

I did the back lawn yesterday afternoon, the front one today if I feel alright,

Enjoy your day, whatever you might be doing.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 9 Apr 2014 09:13

Morning all and evening Kim,

Dooms day is here..............................it's dry but a bit cloudy but was bright and sunny two mins ago.

Nothing to report but may come back later...........see how I feel.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 8 Apr 2014 23:18

I made a dreadfull mistake with my dentists appointment, it was the 16th not tomorrow but when I got home from shopping oh askked me when my appointment was and I said tomorrow at 12.10pm. He said no it's not it is at 12 o'clock tomorrow. Out comes my card and yes it was for the 16th but while I was out Melissa rang to say she had a cancellation and now I DO go tomorrow. I must have had a preminition!! So tomorrow I have my other front tooth out.

I have popped the camera out on the step tonight to see if I can catch Hogwart on camera tonight. If the foods gone before I go to bed I shall bring it in.

I did'nt treat next doors chicken but had a look and yes she has eggs at the base of the feathers round her vent. They have dusted her yesterday so have to wait 10 days really. We will see what happens and if they don't go I shall try the oil method.

Frank it is not red mite which is carried by all wild birds and they only come out at night and feed off the chickens they don't live on them like lice.

Off now so see you in the morning. Night night.