General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 7 + 1 of 2624

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

magpie

magpie Report 15 Jan 2017 14:30

Jane, I'm sure it'll be fine!! let's face it, it'll have to be!!!!!!
I don't particularly mind the Scottish chap, but my SIL can't stand him!!! I think all that hair flapping round would get on my nerves though!!
We're just about to have lunch. I roasted the potatoes in the utility room in the electric deep fat fryer. It does them a treat, no mess and no clearing up!
After lunch we'll take Cas a little way, then try and find a film and settle down!
I've got a good book I've just starts on kindle, so it maybe head phones for OH!!!

Jane

Jane Report 15 Jan 2017 14:06

Afternoon All

Liz,I am pleased your son has arrived home safely from NZ.I would love to visit there but I don't think I could stand that long long journey.I think th longest flight I did was to Tokyo and that was about 11 hours..That was plenty long enough .
I am sure Cas will soon get used to Jasper .He will be glad to be out of kennels now :-D

Frank,hopefully your knee will feel easier and less painful today now you have found some tablets. Is this the lunch where you don't know exctly what you are having??
Surprise Surprise :-) :-)

Gill, lets hope Mel can help you out with the search for your rellies.Then you can fill in another gap .

It is such a miserable day today.Dark and drizzly .I decided to get the roast in so we can have it about 2.30 instead of tonight. My hips and knee are so stiff and painful today I thought it best to get cooking over and done with sooner than later and then I can put my feet up.
I was up so early again as my knee was so painful in bed.I came downstairs and slapped a heat patch on it and sat with a cuppa and watching catch up on TV.

I thought the Scottish Islands programme was great last night.But I do find the chap with the long hair a bit irritating sometimes. It was a fascinating programme.
I am afraid I am having to give up on Taboo Liz.. It is just not my cup of tea and I can't really seem to get into it.Pretty gruesome ending wasn't it !Maybe I will give it one more shot next weekend :-)

Yes Hannah and James had a great day yesterday.I think that was the longest time they have spent together (just the 2 of them) in a very long time.I know I said about the Axe throwing and the Games Bar,but can't remember if I said they went to a Turkish Restaurant for lunch and then stopped off at a bar on the way back to St Pancras Station.So it was a very full day.

I had a nice bath this morning about 10.30 and decided just to put some comfy Jim Jam bottoms on and a sloppy top. I am not going anywhere :-D
As children the only time Janice and I were allowed to stay in our nightwear was if we were ill...No slopping around and looking slovenly LOL

My roast is not going to be one of my best. The potatoes are not the usual ones I have for roasting and haven't crisped up as well ,and the roast Parsnips,Carrots and Baby Turnips look a big soggy .NOT GOOD :-| :-|

magpie

magpie Report 15 Jan 2017 12:24

Yes we watched both those programmes too Frank, they were both very interesting particularly the second one. Then Taboo which we're beginning to get into!
Our son came about 1.30! (he did ring first!) as he was picking up his dog (Jasper!) from the kennels which are quite close to us, and he wanted to go home in good time as he was feeling a bit tired after a 22 hour journey from Tarawera NZ. to Heathrow. It was so good to see him, he looked really well and had had a fantastic time. We had supper about 5.30, and he went home about 7.30.
Thanks for the photos Jane, they certainly looked as if they were having a good time! Thanks for yours too Mel.
Gill, once your relations came back to England you should be able to find them on the appropriate census. As Mel says they will be on a passenger list for their return. You will need names and dates which you should be able to find by going backwards from the last person you definitely know about, who their parents were and so on. I've got a third cousin who, having been a bit of a mystery, was finally traced as having emigrated to Canada in 1906! It was a fair old marathon, but we got there. Do you remember Joseph John Mel?!!!!
We're having a peaceful day here. Roast Lamb for lunch, roast spuds and Leeks in white sauce.
Cas is a bit better with Jasper, although still a bit nervous! Giver her time and hopefully they'll be friends!

Gillx

Gillx Report 15 Jan 2017 12:04

Mel, I'm looking for my great grandmother, but it's very complicated so I've PM'd you with all the info I have on her. I'm trying to find her on a passengers list from America to the UK, I believe she was travelling with her Aunt, but I'm not sure how true the Aunt bit is as it's not yet been confirmed. I've been trying for two days to find her but so far have been unsuccessful.

Pleased to hear you have now taken some painkillers Frank, it sounds like they did the trick and you had a better nights sleep last night. The programmes sounded interesting. Sandra has us watching her music programmes, which I wasn't really paying attention to with being on FMP. Enjoy your lunch later. Let's hope there's enough so you don't need to go to the Carvery ;-)

It sounds like you had another good nights sleep too Mel <3

Frank

Frank Report 15 Jan 2017 11:16

Morning all, Evening Kim,

Dos found some pain killers in the draw, so I had three lots before bed last night (not all at once). I got out once at 5.00 am then slept until Ros bought me in a cuppa at 9.15.

Raining here and miserable. I had intended walking to our trip out at 1.00 pm. but I think I will go in the car with Ros. I don't know what to expect for lunch, so I have told Ros we can go to the carvery later if we don't have enough to eat.

Gill, I knew Mel would be helping with your search. She found so much out for me. Bless her xxx

We enjoyed some programmes on BBC two last night, One a nature one, and the other about the Scottish Island where they found HUNDREDS of bodies and sculls. They also made a boat and sailed the Peatland Firth. The roughest passage of water in the British Isles. I thought of Liz and Ian while that was on !!!

It's nice that James and Hannah enjoy each others company Jane. I don't ever remember spending time with my sisters.

Well I had better get showered and shaved and get dressed, That will leave the bathroom free for MADAM.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 15 Jan 2017 10:59

Morning Gill and all,

Dull old day today. Got up late again and I went to bed at 12am and woke once in the night for the bathroom went off to sleep again and woke at 10.45am and here I am with my COT.

Gill what names are you looking up and is it on passenger lists or the census?

Gillx

Gillx Report 15 Jan 2017 07:21

Morning all

Bad nights sleep, so decided to get up.

Going to check out FMP again today, I spent ages trying to find my great grandmother yesterday and couldn't find her anywhere, so I'm hoping today will be better. Apparently she came over from America to England when she was 12 with her aunty but can I find them?????? :-( :-( I've even tried looking for her aunty although I've only got a name and no other details for her and still I had no luck. Other people have found her but I'm having no luck at all. I thought she came over here when she was 8 so tried that and again no luck. I guess I'll just have to keep trying.

I must be doing something wrong :-S :-S :-S :-S :-S

Going to have a cuppa first. What is everyone else up to today?

Annx

Annx Report 14 Jan 2017 20:22

Thanks for the pics Jane........yes I bet James was chuffed to win........bet he was glad to beat his sister too!! ;-) I reckon he must have some Cheroke blood to have such good axe throwing! ;-) My word, I think everyone would wear crash helmets if I started chucking axes around. :-0

Oh Anne it won't be long now will it till you see little Ruby. :-) Hearing about the girls' squabble made me remember how EVERYTHING mattered so much as a teenager and how you felt you had to assert yourself all the time to be taken seriously.

I see from Mel's pic she got a covering of snow on her car too. Seems poor Sandra was the only one that didn't get it, but there's time yet before winter is over.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 14 Jan 2017 19:56

Oh blimey you wouldn't want to get in the way of one of those axes LOL
Doesn't James look pleased with his bulls eye .

I'm always a bit weary when driving in the dark ,you never know whats round the corner and i get dazzled with other cars head lights , i think wearing glasses doesn't help either you seem to get a bit of glare with them ,some times i move them down my nose and look over the top of them.

Oh yes the father and son singing together made me cry when i saw it , the son looks so happy singing with his dad ,some thing he will always remember.

Anne

Anne Report 14 Jan 2017 19:47

Ann, I have also seen the Teddy Mac video with him singing along with his son he does have a lovely voice and enjoys himself too, it's good his son lives near bye he also has a nice voice.

Sorry hear your trip to the garden centre didn't come up for anything to buy, Peter didn't like driving when it got dark it's not a good time of the year for driving is it..

Paul and Richard have gone to ice hockey so peace rains at the moment, I do feel sorry for Abbie sometimes being the eldest, when she's at home she often has to give into Becky, being the eldest of two I can emphasize with her.

Paul came to pick Richard up and showed us the picture of his new car another Polo but with only 15 miles on the clock because the garage had already registered it he got it a lot cheaper , so it will get a good run out when we go to Brighton next Saturday.

Gill what a pity Sandra didn't get her hoped for snow, the amount we had wouldn't have been enough but she could have made a few snowballs.

No clues then Mel on what you are making it looks like you are keeping us all waiting again :-D

I haven't seen any of my emails yet as Abbie is in the room where the main computer lives

Gillx

Gillx Report 14 Jan 2017 19:27

Yes, I've seen the man singing, it brought a tear to my eye the first time I saw it. Alzheimer's is such a cruel illness. It was nice to see him enjoying himself and what a wonderful, caring son he has too. Both of them brilliant singers as well.

Love the pic you sent of James, Jane. Axe throwing....what will they think of next?? He looked chuffed to get a bulls eye didn't he?

You got quite a lot of snow Mel, a good couple of inches on your car roof I see. Sandra was so disappointed not to get any snow at all. We did get hail, for all of about three seconds :-( :-( There's still some of the winter left so you never know she might still get her snow, as Jane said.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Jan 2017 19:23

Ann,you have mentioned that Island and accidents so many times!.Is there nothing they can do to change it? It seems a real accident spot :-S

Why did they ever remove the Cats Eyes??? I remember some years back there was something about removing them but can't think what the reason was. What with the white lines in the centre of the roads wearing out and not being repainted.It is beyond a joke now.It is just the same around here.

I have just sent a couple of pics.

Dinner is ready. Frozen Youngs Gastro Basa Fillets with Lemon and Herb coating, Saute Potatoes,Caulifower Cheese and Tarragon oven roasted Carrots......Tummies rumbling here :-D

Annx

Annx Report 14 Jan 2017 19:09

I see Mel is keeping us all in suspenders again! :-) Now is it animal, vegetable or mineral?

I never got a thing at the garden centre Jane. It was full of 'emptiness' where the Xmas decs had been cleared but nothing put in their place yet!! They have finished the work widening the drive into it and put traffic lights at the entrance so you can get out more easily which is better. It was a nightmare driving home though as so much of the route was unlit and I couldn't see where the edge of the road was in the dazzle of the car lights coming towards me. It's always a worry you might not spot an unlit cycle at the side. The trouble is, they took the cat's eyes out years ago, they aren't maintaining the white lines as they fade and wear and car headlights are so much brighter and our night vision doesn't improve with age. I think my lights may be set too low as well, so I'm going to check them on the garage door.

When I set off from home, the island round the corner from here on the main road where they have to keep replacing the railings because of cars running into them had claimed another victim and had a Mazda sports car wrapped around them with a lanky youth standing next to it on his mobile. :-S

Has everyone seen the Teddy Mac video of the man with Alzheimers and his son driving around singing? He doesn't always recognise his son, but he used to sing in clubs and as a Butlin's Redcoat, so his son discovered that helped him cope. He has a great voice. If you haven't seen it, here he is with his lovely son. They've made an album with 25% of the money going to Alzheimers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UQ5mjFzHTA

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 14 Jan 2017 18:28

No not quite enough for a snowman but at least you had some not like poor Sandra still waiting for some to all.

Oh Mel you are naughty making us all wait to see what your making LOL

Well i suppose Axe Throwing is some a bit different LOL the games bar sounds good fun some thing to do on a winters afternoon .

Jane

Jane Report 14 Jan 2017 18:16

At least you can say you had some Mel :-D.. Not quite enough to make another Snowman LOL

Anne is it just one week now before you go to see little Ruby? You won't want to leave her behind once you see her.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jan 2017 18:06

Have just sent a pic of our snow on my car roof.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jan 2017 17:54

nO NO CLUES ON HERE. sORRY YOU WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE.

Sorry did'nt mean to shout but I was just naming some folders and I do it in capitals.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Jan 2017 17:52

Afternoon All

Gill, I see you have been so busy in the garden again.So you had no snow at all !.I was sure that your area was due to get some too.There is plenty of wintertime to come so you may get lucky :-D.
The sun came out very late here.We thought it was supposed to be sunny for most of the day.(so they got that wrong ).It is very cold.Chris is sat right up close to the fire.But I don't think he will be able to stay there too long as he will start melting lol

Frank, was it just a mistake that your painkillers were left off your prescription? No wonder you have been in so much pain and discomfort.Do you not have any other painkillers you can take until you get the stronger ones again.

Mel we are all curious as to what you are making.How long before we find out? :-D

James went to London this morning to meet up with Hannah.They went Axe Throwing !!!..I had no idea what it was. There are 2 teams and they all swing and throw an Axe to a target board(bit like darts).Then it whittles down to 2 people to play off against each other.James won the tournament so I have been informed :-D :-D..I must say it did look good fun from the pics Hannah sent .They then moved on to a Games Bar.It is a place where there are all sorts of games,Board games,old fashioned games etc.I think they could just buy a drink and choose a game to play. Hannah sent me a pic of them playing POP UP PIRATE !!!!!!!. That was one of Hannah's favourite games when she was little. So I think the 2 of them have had a lovely day together.James may still be in London .I have no idea what time he will be back tonight.This day out was Hannah gift to him for his birthday.

I hope OH wrapped up well this afternoon Ann for the footie matches.I certainly wouldn't fancy freezing my bits off watching a load of men kicking a ball around.
Did you buy anything nice at the Garden Centre.

Anne,I bet the girls love your Roasts :-D..When Hannah and James were at Uni and came home the request was always for a Roast as a first meal back home.
Fancy them having a barny about the bedside light LOL..Teens !!!! At least you had another room for Abbie to move to.Anything to keep the peace :-D :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 14 Jan 2017 16:27

Afternoon all,

Much better day today the sun has shown it's face after a frosty start.

Well thats why you've had all the pain Frank no pain killers ,once you get the tablets back into your system you'll hopefully feel better.

Glad your ok Gill what a shame you never got the snow but then if you had you wouldn't have got all your jobs done in the garden .

Go on Mel give us a little clue as to what your making .

Jacket potatoes for us tonight ,tuna with mine and Colin has Cajun chicken with his .

Gillx

Gillx Report 14 Jan 2017 15:59

No, I'm okay Mel, just a sore throat from the gardening yesterday. It's just started raining here too. It was a shame we didn't get the snow for Sandra to build her snowman, she did like seeing the snow on the pics that were sent though.

Genes sent me an email about FMP so I might take a look later. I haven't looked at my tree for a while so it'll take a bit of time to get back into it.

Curious now on what you are making Mel :-S :-S
Hope you can work out what you need to do next.

Just about to start watching the film. I recorded top of the pops from 1983 so we've just been watching that. It brought back a lot of memories for me :-)
It wasn't long after that I met my OH, he was the DJ at our local disco.