General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 7 + 1 of 2518

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

magpie

magpie Report 21 Aug 2016 07:02

People always initially make a claim against you Mel, like they do if you have a car accident, but if you're insured you just pass the claim onto the company and they take it up for you and settle the amount, so you're not out of pocket. My cousin had to take out insurance ( the farm insisted!) when they hired a field for his daughters wedding reception this June. Like all insurance you just have to shop around for a decent deal and see what comes up. I expect the NFU would good to use.
Hope your hubby had decent night Mandy. It must be nice to have him home.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Aug 2016 22:22

So glad Colin is home and you will be too Mandy. No more visiting. You will be able to look after him yourself now and Max willbe pleased to have him home too.

Night night all.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Aug 2016 22:20

It just seem strange that you can insure for £160 but they could still claim against you!!

Anyway we are not taking any chances.

magpie

magpie Report 20 Aug 2016 22:15

We had venison steaks for our supper,, with chips and courgette and it was delicious!
We're now in bed, getting ready to snuggle down! Hopefully it'll be a better day tomorrow weatherwise!

Annx

Annx Report 20 Aug 2016 21:12

Evening All,

What great news Mandy! I bet Colin will be pleased to sleep at home in the quiet tonight. It sounds as if he's doing really well. :-) Max will be pleased to see his 'dad' too!

What a shame Mel. I bet the locals won't be pleased at losing your field for the Dog Show. Sorry to hear you have had bad news too.

Oh Frank......it's sod's law that if you have a bit of you that's delicate, it always gets knocked!! :-S I bet Ros was so sorry about it. All this pain you are getting must be getting you down. I hope you enjoyed your skate wing.......I've yet to try some.

Liz, OH was only trying to wind me up about the Hipster beard!! I played along and told him he'd have to slim a bit if he was to get in the skinny jeans they wear!! lol. We both commented after that the goatee beards that were so common a few years ago seem to have disappeared now.

Jane

Jane Report 20 Aug 2016 21:01

That's good to hear Colin is home now :-D. Wheelchairs are notoriously difficult to get hold of in hospitals Mad isn't it :-S.. I hope he is comfy in his downstairs bed and that you don't have to do too much running up and down in the night.Does he have a little bell to ring if he needs you? :-D That is not a bad idea.
Bet Max is glad to see his 'Dad' home again' I expect he was very excited .Hopefully he won't try jumping up and hitting his hip.

I feel so pooped tonight ,I think I will be off to bed any minute now. Thomas is in and settled so no need to worry about him.

Night Night.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 20 Aug 2016 20:25

Colin is home , he rang about one o'clock to say he could come home ,his tablets were all ready but then son had to go off and find a wheel chair they don't have them on the ward you have to go and hunt one down ,well son went from one end of the hospital to the other and finally found one in the out patients department.
We got home just before four o'clock, then with a bit of moving chairs about in the conservatory we got him settled .

We've had one or two heavy showers today.

Oh Frank i bet that was painful, poor Ros must have felt awful when it happened.

Jane

Jane Report 20 Aug 2016 19:41

There is always someone to put the mockers on something that is enjoyable for many people .What a shame this has put you off now Mel for letting your field used for the yearly Dog Show.

Oh Frank ,that made me wince when you described Ros bashing into your leg !! I can imagine the air turned BLUE ! Sounds like you have a nice meal tonight and then out for lunch tomorrow. :-D
Frank will only know this The Samuel Pepys pub has closed and is up for sale.It is all boarded up !!! :-0 :-0.That was a real shock to see that.

I hope there is good news for Mandy today and that Colin is home :-D

magpie

magpie Report 20 Aug 2016 17:32

Thing is Frank, there could have been a rickety chair, slippery floor, anything really that year's ago wouldn't have been an issue, but now we live in an age of litigation are leapt on! It's a sad fact, but you have to insure for everything these days or not do it!

magpie

magpie Report 20 Aug 2016 17:23

To be honest Mel, we wouldn't allow anyone to use our field for any activities unless they took out appropriate insurance to cover them and us. People these days sue at the drop of a hat and its just not worth the risk! Perhaps the organisers of the dog show will be prepared to do that?!
Oh dear Frank, I bet that hurt!! Hope you're feeling more comfortable now!
Did some gardening this morning, read this afternoon, and now having a think about supper!!

Frank

Frank Report 20 Aug 2016 17:16

Mel, There is always someone who will spoil the fun for many. How the hell can she claim for falling over ?? Clumsy COW. !!! The village hall didn't make her fall over !!! Had she been drinking ??

Been spoilt today. Ros bought home a dressed CRAB for my lunch, and a BIG SKATE WING for dinner tonight.

Carolyn has invited us to lunch tomorrow for about 2.00 pm. It will be nice for Ros not having to cook.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Aug 2016 16:48

O dear poor you Frank but is'nt it just the thing that if you have a sore patch thats the bit you are going to bang or get banged. Same with that stubbed toe I had the other day. Did'nt matter how carefull I was I still kept knocking it on things.

Its been raining here most of the day some light and then stairods and the wind is still very high and the skies grey.

We won't be having the dog show on our field anymore as someone has put in a claim to the village hall for falling on their ground. If we insured the field for the day someone could still claim from us so that has put paid to the show which has been on our field for the many years it has been held here.

Funny how someone who has only lived here for 8 years can cause such trouble to the whole community.

Frank

Frank Report 20 Aug 2016 13:14

Afternoon all, I haven't read any posts, and am not in the mood for chatting. Still not getting along very well with my exercises, they are putting me in so much pain, and have not had a good nights sleep yet.

This morning Ros bought me a COT in the bedroom. She didn't notice I had my left leg hanging out of bed, and walked straight into it. I thought my knee was coming out of my backside!!!!. She hit it with such force., I know it was an accident, and there's not a lot of room between the bed and walled robe, but it didn't stop it hurting. :-| :-| :-| The pain killers I am on are making me very constipated which isn't helping.

Sorry I am a miserable old codger, but I hope to get better as he pain subsides.

Take care of yourselves. I will speak soon.

magpie

magpie Report 20 Aug 2016 10:40

Windy old morning here but the sun is sort of out!! It rained like mad in the night so at least no watering!! Cas has been for her morning walk with OH and is now in her cage for a couple of hours, or more!! Jane I remember our Red Stetter/Lab was very lively!! She was a rescue, and a lovely girl, but full of energy! We were a lot younger then and our two were children, so they played with her a lot! Sadly she had a, problem with her spinal column and had be put to sleep aged, we think, about three :-( We were all devastated, and still remember her with a lot of affection.
Hope your OH is allowed home today Mandy. When OH was in hospital after his op, I was thankful when he came home as it was a 56 mile round trip and as he had to stay in for an extra few days, it did get a bit wearing!! Luckily having worked in social care for years I was well versed with catheter bags and other aspects of care, so at least that wasn't a problem when he finally came home..
Nothing much doing here today, maybe plant those leeks! OH is making a start on the hay barn, the polythene needs replacing with decent boards!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Aug 2016 10:39

Morning everyone,

Gosh you lot are early birds this morning.

It quite windy here today and we have had a lot of violent gusts. The deer is laying by the west wall with its back to us. Oh said it had been there since early this morning. It must feel very at home here to lay with its back towards us. I'll give it at home here if it eats anymore of my plants.

I do hope Colins is aloud home today Mandy and then you won't have those journeys to do each day. Its such a tie when you have to get ready for a trip each day. I bet Colin can't wait to get home either. What are the meals like in the hospital? Has he said?

David

David Report 20 Aug 2016 08:34

Morning Mandy, and others
Good way to start the day
I'm not fully alive until I've had a cuppa or two
Used to have a Teasmade, but it seems to have walked

What a pity Jane has been unable to identify the so and so who keyed her car.
£250 a lot of money I'm sure she would rather spend on something else

Jane

Jane Report 20 Aug 2016 08:34

Morning Mandy and All

Lets hope that Max got his naughtiness out of the way yesterday and will be a good boy today. (might be wishful thinking :-) )
When Chester was a pup he often had me in tears with all his sheenanigans ,and not tears of laughter either.He was a right little heller at times.

I have been awake for ages. Let Thomas out about 6.30 and have had 2 cups.I have been sat in bed catching up on the Mens Diving from last night on the laptop.

Thomas is back in(as it's raining).I'm not sure how bad this wind is goingto be today.I have a feeling there is a Yellow warning.But it's not too bad just yet.

Fingers crossed Colin can come home today Mandy.How far do you have to go each time to the hospital?

I can see the post lady just coming down the drive with a package so the door bell will ring any second.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 20 Aug 2016 07:47

Morning all,

Just had my cuppa in bed ,it doesn't look to bad out today the sun is shining at the moment but i think we could have rain later with thunder .

Yes we have the loo and wet room down stairs which is good but Colin won't be able to have a shower until he has his staples out they told him he must have strip washes until then.

I hope Max is in a better mind today ,he was trying to chew all sorts , it was so wet yesterday he only had one walk and not so many plays out in the garden.
I had had enough of him i can tell you ,i was in bed by half past nine last night .

Don't know whats happening with Colin today , i don't know if he tried to do stairs yesterday i never heard from him last night ,i will have to wait for him to ring me this
morning to see if he can come home, it is so tiring backwards and forwards to the hospital each day so it will be nice to have him home.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Aug 2016 23:03

Night night all.

Jane

Jane Report 19 Aug 2016 21:40

A bed downstairs sounds a good idea for OH for a while Mandy.You have a loo downstairs too which is ideal. A week or so with a few stripped washes will be fine.
You could always hose him down in the garden LOL He sounds like he is doing really well :-D

Chris has had a cob on tonight and gone to bed in a bit of a strop .I can't be doing with that nonsense ....Now Thomas is on a 'HIGH' and creating Merry Hell. Attacking my feet under the table :-S :-S.It is all playful stuff but the tops of my feet are beginning to look a bit shredded :-S. Got a plaster on my hand too. He needs de clawing LOL

I am off to bed shortly so will say Night Night now. Hope our Frank is ok <3