General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 7 + 1 of 2492

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 17 Jul 2016 08:59

Morning All

I am sitting out on the patio with my second cuppa.Have had a stroll down the garden with Thomas but he just wanted to lie in the long grass so I carried him back.
Looks like it is going to be a sunny day and hot too,so I am going to get everything that needs doing this morning .

Ann,I hope you have made a complaint about your Cabin.It didn't sound a patch on the one you stay in in Cornwall.What a pity as it sounded as though it was in a lovely spot there.
Glad you enjoyed those gardens.I must tell Fitz :-D.Did you buy the book?
I have been trying to find out about a lady in Holt.She was a freind of my parents. We were in touch until about 2-3 yrs ago and then suddenly I hear nothing more from her.
I have sent Xmas cards to her last address from the last 2 yrs .I am now assuming she has passed away ,but am a bit miffed that her daughters haven't let me know.

So now I am going up to have a shower and wash my hair .
How was JJ Frank? :-D :-D

Jane

Jane Report 17 Jul 2016 08:59

Morning All

I am sitting out on the patio with my second cuppa.Have had a stroll down the garden with Thomas but he just wanted to lie in the long grass so I carried him back.
Looks like it is going to be a sunny day and hot too,so I am going to get everything that needs doing this morning .

Ann,I hope you have made a complaint about your Cabin.It didn't sound a patch on the one you stay in in Cornwall.What a pity as it sounded as though it was in a lovely spot there.
Glad you enjoyed those gardens.I must tell Fitz :-D.Did you buy the book?
I have been trying to find out about a lady in Holt.She was a freind of my parents. We were in touch until about 2-3 yrs ago and then suddenly I hear nothing more from her.
I have sent Xmas cards to her last address from the last 2 yrs .I am now assuming she has passed away ,but am a bit miffed that her daughters haven't let me know.

So now I am going up to have a shower and wash my hair .
How was JJ Frank? :-D :-D

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Jul 2016 23:08

Its sounds to me like the place you stayed was for fishermen rather than just visitors Ann. I hope the price reflected all the defaults in the cabin. I think I would have had to complain especially as the water was running all night. I could'nt have put up withthat.

My best friend from Suffolk owns a house in Holt which they use for the family to stay in whenever they want.

Well I have cleaned the chickens out today and now I feel all itchy so I am going in the shower.

It is really muggy here tonight so I keep going outside to cool down.

By the way I hav'nt got the pic of Thomas tied up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please?

Annx

Annx Report 16 Jul 2016 20:52

Evening Folks!

We are HOME!! We actually arrived home yesterday afternoon, but were tuckered out after OH taking the first part of the journey home by the 'scenic route' to miss Norwich (MISTAKE as we had to guess directions on some lanes!), and we also had a three quarter hour hold up with road works. No wonder I arrived home a year older than when I went!! lol.

I'll catch up with the posts later but first of all, THANK YOU all for your lovely cards and good wishes!! I'm keeping them up for a few more days as they look so nice. I have planted the peas in a pot Mel....so thank you and I'll see how they do.

Well, what a break we had. :-S After chasing the holiday people to get instructions about getting the keys they said they'd email me but that if we arrived between 4.00pm and 5.00pm there would be someone there.They didn't email me, so we just turned up thinking it would be ok and arrived at ten foot high, locked, metal gates with just trees and grass visible beyond!! OH spotted a sign on the wall giving a phone number and rang it and was given codes for the locked gate and for the log cabin. The actual site was beautiful and the first thing we saw was a Heron within about 8 feet of us next to a lake enclosed by mature trees. A gravel road wound around the site and there were just a few cabins, well spaced and nicely separated by laurel hedges. Our cabin was one of the older ones and we got inside ok, but then we started to be disappointed!! With trees all around and with the roof overhang and small dirty cobwebby windows it was gloomy and dark inside with the walls and ceiling being quite dark unpainted timber. The first kitchen cupboard door I opened fell off it's hinges so we had to jam that shut and leave it and the cooker door had grease runs all down the door and the kettle was badly furred up. We kept tripping up on the raised doorstrips as they were the same wood and you couldn't see them in the gloom. We couldn't shut the bathroom door as it jammed firmly on the floor with about a foot more to go so we had to leave it open all the time. The toilet had water running continually from when we arrived till we left, so you could hear it all night from the bedroom and when OH had a bath, he was out of it within 20 minutes as he said his head was near the toilet and he could smell it!! The glass shower screen at the tap end of the bath had been fixed so you couldn't move it, so you had to be in the bath to switch the shower on and just hope the temperature was right! The first time OH got in to do it I was leaning across to watch and the water shot over his head and onto mine, soaking me through and water also leaked over the floor from under the screen. The workings of the tv and box thingy were a complete mystery at first due to very patchy instructions and I missed a whole prog working them out. OH was asking what the industrial size mozzie killer in the corner was when he felt an intended victim on his arm sucking his blood!! The second night we were there, there was an almighty bang and the lights went out. OH had to find (good job it wasn't too dark) and reset the fusebox and we were left with just 1 out of 8 of the candle bulbs in the chandelier thing. At least the beds were comfy and clean or I think we'd have gone home and the pillows were so squishy your head sank in them till they folded up and around your ears each side.

The site had a lake with about 5 big fishing ponds around it and all of them were surrounded with trees. ( there was a log in the cabin of the fish caught Frank including a 24lb Carp which sounded big to me!) There were lots of bunnies and there were 2 cats at the end cabin that we saw go out hunting a few times. I don't know if they lived there permanently but one was a siamese and the other was a longhair with siamese colouring, maybe a persian or birman.

The weather actually turned out better than we expected with just one shower of rain after we arrived and other than the not so nice accommodation, we otherwise had a great time. Thanks to Fitz and Jane for telling me, the gardens at East Ruston were FAB-U-LOUS and well worth a visit!!! OH was talking about them for days afterwards and he thought they were among the best he'd ever seen. :-). I'll see if I have a few pics I can send. A nice little place we visited was Holt, which had the Bead Shop my friend had told me about. I spent quite a while there chatting to the nice young lady who ran it and she gave me a demo of Kumihimo which looks like patterned french knitting only using cord. I came away with a bag of goodies of course!! We also had a nice lunch at The Feathers there.

I didn't contact you Mandy as I was still feeling I was getting over a bug when we set off and OH is always twitchy about 'getting there' when we go somewhere new. He got a migraine on the way home and went straight to bed for a couple of hours when we got back. I think maybe it was sitting ages in all the traffic fumes where the roadworks were. It would have been lovely to see you and Max though. :-) :-)

Well I'll finish now as I'm ready for bed I think. OH has been to his first match of the season today!

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 16 Jul 2016 19:11

Got it Jane i have replied.
Funny you should say about the toiletries, i bought toothpaste and a tooth brush and i thought i would also give him a bar of soap and maybe some deodorant but i don't want to affend him ,i don't want him thinking i'am giving him them because he smells , although i have to say i haven't smelt him when I've been over to him , but with this warmer weather and him sleeping in a sleeping bag under the plastic covering i think he might start to hum a bit !!

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 16 Jul 2016 19:03

We had a little rain about an hour ago but it didn't last long and its all dried up now its ,so muggy though and I've just found one of those little tiny midge on my screen which means the corn fields must be nearly ready for cutting , i noticed the corn had really turned when we went to get the eggs this week.

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jul 2016 19:02

:-D :-D Mandy .sent you a pic and it is nothing like Tom ans Jerry LOL I know wht you mean though :-D
So you are still helping this man .That is brilliant .Do any other folk around you help him out with food etc? I was wondering if he would be acceptable to be given toiletries like soap /toothbrush/paste .It is not as easy as offering food,but he might well be really thankful for a few bits like that.He is probably never given anything like that Mandy.(just a thought).

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 16 Jul 2016 17:15

I now have a picture of poor old Thomas tied to the chair LOL, a bit like the Tom and Jerry cartoon where thd poor old cat got tied up LOL

Yes the chap is still about, i have given him several meals the other day he was eating slices of dry bread !! I wondered if that came out of one of the bins they have at the back of the co op in town.
He sits here at the back of the church there is what was an old doorway in the back of the church that has been blocked up with a big concrete slab in front ,i think it use to be an entrance to an old boiler house , now they have a new boiler in the vestry ,he also sits in front of the vestry door too.
Yesterday he had all his washing hanging in the tree in the churchyard , i carn't see the church putting up with that ,as this time of the year we have lots of visitors looking round the church.

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jul 2016 15:39

Mandy I realised as soon as I submitted my post I got it wrong lol.Of course it is the hip and not the knee for OH..Just having a few senior moments today :-S
When I went to Waitrose this morning I had gone off the wrong turn off on the roundabout and then suddenly realised I didn't recognise where I was !!!!!.Daft old bat today.
I guess the homeless man sleeps in a different church doorway rather than the main entrance.yes is he still around Mandy?
The confetti for the wedding must be that biodegradable stuff as the old fashioned confetti is not normally allowed these days.What a lovely day for a wedding .

Chris is on guard for Thomas now as Thomas is asleep on the settee in the summerhouse.We can't shut the doors as it is too hot in there .It is a bit stifling here now even though a breeze has picked up.
We have had a few planes flying over so I wonder if there might be an airshow going on .
Oh! Oh! Chris has just come in as it is too hot in the summerhouse .He said he has tied Thomas to a chair !!!!!.Not sure about that one so I better go and make sure he isn't about to strangle himself :-S

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Jul 2016 15:23

Mandy where was the young man whilst the wedding was going on? Is he still about or has he moved on?

Bet Colin can't wait to get his hip done. He has been like this for a very long while now has'nt he? Hope all goes well.

Frank too with your knee op. Keep up the exercises like a good boy. You will soon be whizzing up and down the lawn like a blue a*s** fly again.

Still extremly hot here and there's a bit of watery sunshine but the sky is still grey.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 16 Jul 2016 14:48

Hubby's having his hip done Jane not his knee , Frank will be all done and dusted and home again before hubby goes in as it's the 16th Aug for his op ,the 8th of Aug is for his pre op again and hopefully it will be a short appointment as all the tests were done a few weeks ago.

Well the bells were ringing for a wedding ,when i now walked Max all the confetti was blowing all round the churchyard in the wind .

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jul 2016 13:51

Afternoon All

So both your OH and Frank will be having their knees done around the same time Mandy.Well just a few weeks apart.How is your son today? I hope he is feeling a bit better.Hannah said she doesn't feel quits as bad as yesterday with her tonsils .There seems to be quite a lot of people with bad chests and throats at the moment.

So cuddles with JJ later then Frank :-D.That will be nice to see him again.

What nuisance Anne .You will be glad to get reconnected again.I can imagine Amy doesn't like it much when you keep disappearing upstairs when you use the lap top.Does she whine for you?
Naughty Thomas has sneaked upstairs again.He is asleep on the top landing.I shall leave him there for now as I will get some peace :-D.He is just continually miaowing to go out these days.

It is really very humid today.I came inside as it is more comfortable with the fan beside me :-D.I popped over to Rushden to Waitrose earlier and got hels up in a very long queue of traffic(roadworks).So I came home a different route.I only went for a few things I can't get anywhere else but came back with 3 large bags full and a big dent in my purse..
I see all kicked off in Turkey with an attempted coup. What is going on in the world at the moment??? I sit here in my lovely home with no worries at all and just feel so sad for all these people caught up in such dreadful things.

Frank,I would have done what Ros did if someone had said that to me about my hair LOL.In fact it was Chris the other day who said (when he was standing behind me) " you have a lot of grey hair going on" !! :-S I will be ringing up on Monday to make my appointment :-D
Ann is home today I think.Yes I have missed her too.Hopefully she will share some lovely pics with us.I am sure they have both had a lovely few days away.

My Sister and BIL are going to a wedding this afternoon.Janice is always a bit of a worrier and says there will be a lot of highly educated people in high powered positions there and what will she talk about LOL.I just told her to be herself and not to be so bl***y daft :-).She can hold a conversation with anyone.It is a Gay Wedding,the son of a friend of Janice and Larry.Quite grand affair by the sounds of things.Lots of stipulations as to dress for guests !!!.Hats for ladies ,Morning Dress for men...I think that is taking things a bit too far really.I think she said that there will be a cloakroom just for the ladies hats at the reception !!!!!!!.I can't wait to hear all about it :-D :-D

Frank,we have Aldi Rib Eye Steaks tonight.I had a joint of Beef from there that you said you have bought and it wasn't at all bad.I just think I might have cooked it a bit too long.

Gill I hope the chocolate flakes won't melt on OH's cake if it as warm with you as it is here today.I would be keeping it in the fridge :-D

Now do I hang washing out or not.There are some rather suspicious looking clouds in the distance.I think I might just bung it in the T Dryer to be on the safe side.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 16 Jul 2016 13:42

Afternoon all,

Sunny and warm here but i think we're do to have a few showers later , there is quite a wind too , any washing would have soon dried but i haven't got enough for a load .

Bells are ringing and have been most of the morning so i think it's just a load of ringers and not a wedding .

I have had a good sweep up outside the back door as when the wind blows it blows all the honeysuckle leaves round to the door ,as Max was in his bed it was a good chance to get it done as he goes after the broom ,barking and growling ,he thinks it's a great game .

So your having little JJ this evening then Frank ,hope you have the treats all ready , i bet he remembers that you give him some .

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Jul 2016 13:09

I should think Ann will be home today or tomorrow Frank.

I have missed her posts.

I know I don't comment on all your posts but as other do I don't see any reason repeat it all again. Sorry.

Its turned really hot here and there is some sunshine. I have watered everything outside that needs it. My strawberries had wilted!! but they are up in pots onthe old trailer and in the sun.

Frank

Frank Report 16 Jul 2016 11:29

Morning my little fairies, and to Elf William, Evening Kim,

Laid in bed this morning with my COT then did my exercise's, before getting up had a 2nd COT in the armchair before getting showered.

Ros has gone to meet Martine for her Saturday natter, and shopping for odds and ends.

I heard the forecast this morning AND we are going to get the warm air from SPAIN on Monday and Tuesday, up to 30 degrees, BUT might get thunder and showers Wednesday. So Summer isn't lasting long !!!

Jane, The reason Ros had her hair done was someone mentioned, "I didn't know you had dark hair" It was showing through at the roots. That's all it took,to get on the phone, and get an appointment. I did say how nice it looked <3 <3 <3

We will have JJ this evening about 8.00 pm. Jo will drop him off and go on to her sister for the night and Sunday before driving back to Devon. I bet we will have a few games to play with him ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) He is so full of life.

Have you got any nice plans for the weekend folks, I know Gill will be busy with OH Birthday and the garden. !!!

When is Ann due home ?? No doubt we will hear from her later. Hope she had a nice break xx

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Jul 2016 10:35

Morning all,

Another grey day here but at least its dry and thats all I can say.

Just having a little toast and butter and then I am off up the shop for the paper and the nice Rodda butter from Cornwall.

Sorry to hear about your internet Anne and I hope they fix it soon.

Anne

Anne Report 16 Jul 2016 07:51

Just popped in to say good morning everyone

We still haven't been reconnected to the internet and they are coming on Wednesday to upgrade it, so I am on the very slow upstairs BT line. I don't use it normally apart from e-mails. Amy isn't too good on stairs and she is inclined to come up if I'm gone for too long.

I hope all is well with everyone, I'm hoping to read the posts I have missed when Richard takes Amy out.

Belated Happy Birhday William
xx

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 15 Jul 2016 21:18

Pleased to hear your OH has got his pre-op appointment through Mandy and not long to wait either, so that's good. Sorry to hear about your son, hope he gets well soon. Once the antibiotics kick in he'll start feeling better.

Yes, those flake cakes, although very nice, are a bit heavy, so small slices at a time rather than big ones is the best way to eat it. I might bake him one of mine tomorrow as he did want one, although I doubt it will last until Sunday. I normally make two cakes at a time when I bake because they are eaten so quickly :-D :-D

Sandra's got us watching the eviction on Big Brother at the moment, she's so excited.....bless her. She loves Big Brother.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 15 Jul 2016 19:09

Evening all,

Its been a nice day here really warm ,clouded over now and looks more like rain.

<3 Happy Birthday William <3

Keep those exercises up Frank it will get those muscles nice and strong ready for your op ,hubby has some to do too ,lifting his leg up from the bed when he's laying and also a buttock clenching exercise :-0
He had a call from the hospital today to arrange an appointment for his pre op ...again !!! i think this one will just be a half hour appointment as he did all this only a week or two ago , he has to go on thd 6th August.

Son is off work with a very bad chest infection ,he has been really poorly the last few days and has antibiotics to take now so hopefully they will help.

I was going to say you could get a five and a zero candle for your OH's cake Gill , i've had those flake cakes and they are really nice but you only need a small slice.

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 15 Jul 2016 19:03

Hello Will, nice to see you. Sorry to hear about Carmel's SIL and your daughter. At least your daughter is on the mend now which is good news. Enjoy the rest of your birthday <3

Thanks for the birthday wishes for OH Jane but it's not his birthday until Sunday, I'll let him know you have aged him LOL :-D :-D

Sorry to hear your SIL has had a stroke Frank, hope she is on the mend soon.

Yes, no Anne today, it's not like her, hope everything is okay <3

I'm just watching the weather and it looks like rain tomorrow, so that'll stop my plans in the garden. I thought it was supposed to be dry. OH has about a week and a half off work so hopefully we'll have some nice weather so we can finish the framework and put up the screening, it's been going on for months and I'm getting fed up of it now. What with OH working and the rain this job seems to be taking forever to finish :-( We're going to have to do more than we first thought all along the back as the plastic windbreak we put up is blowing around in the slightest breeze, so we think it might just blow down in the winter winds and we don't fancy having to fix it then, so better to put something stronger in now, to save us work later.

I watched Masterchef but no more programmes I recorded as I watched the news, those poor people in France. My heart goes out to them <3