General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 8 + 1 of 1792

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jul 2014 19:23

Glad your ok Mandy. We do all worry when one of us dos'nt turn up during the day or evening as the case may be.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 14 Jul 2014 18:46

Evening all,

I'am here :-D yesterday we were busy all day and i didn't even turn the pooter on i was just to tired by the evening and we has an early night ,today i've had the children here this afternoon as DIL had her first scan ,all's well and her due date is 25th January , we have a scan photo ,looks like the baby is laying on His/Her back .

Wow Wow Wow what a good artist Chris is Jane, didn't you know that he could paint so well ? i hope it is going up on the wall some where it is really good .
The photo's are lovely too Jane ,the one on the open topped bus turned out so clear ,were you moving at the time ? and are they all taken with the new camera ?

It's been really hot here today ,it did cloud over once or twice but otherwise its been all sun .

Chelsea has her sports day tomorrow afternoon and it's also hair cut day ,the hairdresser will do mine first then DIL's and then the three girls ,then they are all staying here for tea and i think Chinese was mentioned so it will be nice and easy .

Jane

Jane Report 14 Jul 2014 18:41

Oh I am blushing with all 'this racey talk lol.I think us British are brilliant at Double Entendres :-D :-D
No rain here Mel but it is quite cloudy .Some clouds look a bit rainy but I don't think we are forecast any tonight.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jul 2014 18:05

I did'nt get all the SCREWS I wanted Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jul 2014 17:59

Well I am pleased it is nice where you are as when I arrived back from Holsworthy with pasties and chip for lunch the lorry arrived with all the wood on it. I ate lunch on my own while oh went and had the stuff loaded on the trailer. He came down and parked the trailer and had his lunch then we unloaded the trailer together. Then it started to rain. So after getting the flooring boards and roof boards in the garage and the three bags of cement we came in and had a cuppa waiting for it to stop. IT HAS'NT...........but just got heavier and steadier. So we have given up for the day.

frank

frank Report 14 Jul 2014 17:48

No Jane No zzzzz I took my book into the conservatory and just read. Then I decided that the watering needed to be started so everywhere has been done NOW IT LOOKS LIKE RAIN.

Have sent some interesting emails, so hope you enjoy them

Forgot to put the oven on, so just done that, so dinner will be SILLY BILLY not to worry, I ain't going anywhere tonight, I see we have TWO HOURS of soaps, so I will be in the conservatory looking at something else.

Will go and catch the local news and main evening news,

Hope MEL got her SCREW, nails and thing. :-D :-D :-D :-D

BBL

Jane

Jane Report 14 Jul 2014 16:53

WAKEY WAKEY!!!! Frank.Have you had your little snooze ? I could quite easily had had one this afternoon but didn't dare as i wouldn't get to sleep tonight.It looks like it is going to be another very warm night :-S .I find that the mattress topper gets so hot as it holds onto all our body heat.So it will be the fan on again,and turning pillows over to a cool side all night long.

Where is Mandy?.Hopefully just busy and not poorly .

Mel did you take your before pic of the old shed yet.I think I remember which one it is.Did it have a window in the side?
Chris has been hacking branches off the Ash tree at the front.Just the lower ones so we can see through now.I have given the 2 box mini trees in the big pots by the front door a bit of a haircut .I don't think I have done a particularly good job either.There was lots of new growth and making them look very untidy.

The chap came to do the window.All it needed was to have a bit of beading replaced.I thought it was the whole window unit.So it just took a few minutes to do :-D

I am going to put my feet up for a few minutes and have a little read I think.

frank

frank Report 14 Jul 2014 14:38

Would you like to re-phrase that MEL :-D :-D :-D

Last time Ros went to Tesc# she bought a box of STAIN DEVIL (three bottles in a box) She didn't realise that some LOW LIFE had opened the box and removed the one remover that she needed. I sent an email to both Tesc# and the manufacture and would you believe, neither had the decency to reply. When she went lunchtime she took the box with her, and they replaced it without any fuse.

Cold pork with lots of Hot Veg tonight, and I have stewed a load of plumbs for her. I will make some custard later.

Still a nice afternoon, with a nice breeze, so I am off into the garden for a read, and perhaps a few zzzzz.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jul 2014 11:43

Thats good Frank Ros is feeling better.

Hope MIL gets healed quickly after her op Fiona.

I am just off to Holsworthy for screws, nails and other bits and pieces so see you later on.

frank

frank Report 14 Jul 2014 11:26

Morning all, Evening Kim,

Lovely morning here, all doors and windows open. BUT the Bloo#y dog over the back is barking like mad. I have called (SHOUTED) SHUT THAT DOG UP. But I understand it's left on it's own and can get in and out a "DOG FLAP" as and when it wants to. I think the Council will have to be informed again. !!!

Jane very nice photo's of GAY PARIS You should be able to sent more than one at a time. Chris or James will show you

Glad the arm is healing Fiona, it's so easy to pick at a corning of a scab, and next thing you know it's all coming off :-( :-(

They recon the weather is going to get up above 30 degrees before the weekend I hope not, I like it as it is.

I know what a TRUG is now. I've seen them in old films that the "POSH PEOPLE" used to bring the flowers indoors on. :-D :-D

Ros is feeling a lot better this morning, Thanks you all for asking. I think she might even think about going to Tesc# later, as we need bread, milk, and odds and sods.

Magpie

Magpie Report 14 Jul 2014 11:08

Mel, they always offer, but we don't want payment for the beans or any other surplus veg. We just prefer it that way.
Merlin is SO much better today! walking round his 'pen', and standing like a 'proper horse' and not a 'poor old soul'! so there is much relief here about that. OH is still struggling a bit, but being braver!!! and today is sorting out more things to go onto ebay. We have still got a whole host of tools, machines, and general bits and pieces accumulated over the years for various jobs that have either been completed or forgotten about long ago!!! Pony lorry is on it's way too at some stage, (without Pony!) which will means we can extend Merlin's yard. Vet is coming at the end of the month to view his progress, and next week we are seeing a horse nutritionist to discuss his diet, as we don't want a repeat of this awful illness.
Lovely day here, so am off to sit in the sun!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 14 Jul 2014 10:34

Morning all and evening Kim,

Dry here today but not very bright. Oh is waiting for the wood to arrive but the lorry had broken down so it is now coming this afternoon instead.

Thanjks for the peas Jane and the lovely pics of your Paris trip but the best of all is Chris's picture. He is a very clever boy you know that picture is outstanding. Glad to see he is signing things too.

Liz does the shop give you anything for your beans? They should you know.......
One thing I will tell you Morr*sons do a type of plastic greenhouse you can put a grow bag in or tomato plants. I bought one a couple of years ago and made up the frame sort of half way and then I put garden mesh over it to protect my strawberry plant in the tunnel. Positioned right it would make a good cover for cabbages if the whole thing was covered in mesh of some sort. Then I used the cover on canes in the tunnel with those balls with holes in to make the top of the frame. They are in our Morr*son's at a cut down price now of £6 and well worth it just for the frame.

Will try and take a before and after pic of the shed etc.

Hope Ros is feeling better this morning and is now on the mend. It can drag you down so these infections.

Love to William and Carmel too.

Kim you were right then, a baby grandaughter how lovely. Just wait till she finds herself saying things to her child that you said to her as a youngster. I had my son at an young age and it made me grow up quickly.

Fiona you are now on the mend I hear. You must be careful not to knock it now or it will hurt all over again. Does it itch?? When I banged my knee earlier in the yearand had the scab on it, it would itch at night and hard to scratch it gently.

Wonder what Mandy was up to yesterday?

Fiona

Fiona Report 14 Jul 2014 09:24

Morning everyone, Evening Kim

Another lovely day,

MIL is coming out of hospital this afternoon, she sounds well on the phone, back to telling everyone what to do , we are going down to England to visit tomorrow, we thought it would be better to give her the time to get back home and hopefully have a good night and settled back in before we descend on her.

All your photos are lovely Jane, I have only been to Paris once when my Fran took me for a weekend in 1995, it was to celebrate
my 40th birthday,
my first stop was the Opera House, I love the Andrew Lloyd Webber Musical Phantom of The Opera and I wanted to visit box 19
where the phantom was to have sat, only it was locked, and the tour of the underground passages was very expensive,
so we decided we would not spend the money on the tour and go and visit another attraction instead. I know that there was really no Phantom
and it was just a story but it was great just being there and imagining :-D :-D

My sore arm is much better ,no dressing on now and the scab is completely dried up , NO FRANK I WON'T PICK AT IT.
I will just have to watch I don't knock it anywhere.

Jane

Jane Report 14 Jul 2014 08:10

Morning/Evening All
So Kim your instinct was right about baby being a girl!
Miranda will soon realise it is not an easy job bringing up a child
Maybe she will appreciate now all you have done for her

I have been up since 5 and have done all the ironing and am now sat with my feet up catching a bit of a nice breeze through the bedroom window
I'm looking out at the horses and they all look very sleepy lol

Sometime today someone will be coming to replace one of the new windows that was slightly marked

I shall enjoy my 2nd cuppa now and then go downstairs to see if my laptop is going to behave.I am using my mobile now.BBL

MEgirl

MEgirl Report 14 Jul 2014 05:44

Jane thank you for all the wonderful photos. Paris is certainly a beautiful city with so many historic landmarks.

MEgirl

MEgirl Report 14 Jul 2014 04:46

Hello all, Just a quick one. I knew it, she's had the scan and it's a girl. Hahahaha I hope she gets some of her own back now. :-D As long as she is healthy. I think the favoured name is Sophie, but that might change. 1.46 pm AEST

Jane

Jane Report 13 Jul 2014 21:34

Ann I was on top of an open top bus when I took the pic .I am guessing it was some kind of Art shop,but didn't get the chance to really see.
Yes it is looking a bit too much on the hot and humid side on Thursday when we go to Art in Action.But we have tickets so will go !!! my HAND FAN will be going with me :-D :-D
Think I will give up on watching this football ..I am getting bored...No doubt there will be a goal or two once I turn off ..but hey! am I bothered?? NOPE :-D :-D

I am off to bed Night Night x

Annx

Annx Report 13 Jul 2014 20:44

Lovely pics Jane. I love that huge tree hedge.....it's enormous! What was that shop selling that had the parisienne looking figure outside ??

That Art in Action looks very good and is something that I would like so thanks for letting me know about it. The gardens there look good too. Mind you it's showing 25/26 degrees for thursday and friday, so it could be very hot, especially if there are marquees......phew!!!! :-S

Jane

Jane Report 13 Jul 2014 16:44

I am having major trouble with pooter now.It has not been letting me type anything.
I am just trying to sort a few pics from Paris to send you all.But apologies again as they will come one by one.I STILL can't work out how to send more than one at a time and am not asking Chris or James AGAIN.So please bear with me :-D

Oh Ann what a shame you didn't get to the show :-(

Right fingers crossed I will get a couple of pics out now.

Magpie

Magpie Report 13 Jul 2014 15:34

Yes Ann, I did have a lovely childhood, and I realise (now!) how fortunate I was to have such caring parents and to live in such a nice environment, all taken completely for granted at the time!! It simply never occurred to me that other people's parents were different to mine. They never let me down in any way ever, and I was always wanted and loved. How lucky is that!
No Frank we don't eat that much veg!! and I'm not sure why we grow so much!! Tomorrow, we are giving a load of French beans to the village shop for them to sell. We did this last year and they were very pleased with them.
Have nearly finished planting out 'cabbages', thank goodness apart from weeding, and watering that's it on the gardening front for a while!!!
Frank, a trug is a boat shaped garden basket for carrying veg, flowers or anything else that takes your fancy!!! We've got a plastic one, which is cheating as they should be made of wood!
Ian's watching golf!! how tedious is that!!!!