General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 3 + 1 of 873

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 8 Mar 2017 10:04

Good Morning Everyone :-) :-) :-) <3

I'm in bed with my lappy awaiting the Wales Team Announcement v Ireland for Friday night :-D
I had to go to the docs yesterday, as it appears I have a very bad water / Kidney infection and on strong antibiotics, so taking it easy for the next few days.

Von, I saw your Get Well wishes on Mersey's thread yesterday. Thank You <3

Decorator is at long last in and at this very moment finishing wallpapering.

Hope you all have good or goodish day. :-) :-) :-)
Love Jem <3

Mersey

Mersey Report 5 Mar 2017 19:07

~~~~~~s to one and all :-D <3

Shaunie &M <3 <3 <3 <3

May your mushrooms flourish and be big ones :-D :-D :-D

Special ~~~~~~to Von :-D <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 5 Mar 2017 14:18

Good Afternoon Everyone :-) :-) :-) <3

Not a good day here weather wise, but I'm up my tree again, so no matter :-D

Not too brilliant at the moment. Gave up trying to sleep at around 6am, having not had a wink, so got up and watched half of last week'sScotland v Wales game from the recording box ..... cos I miss loads while I'm trying to type :-D :-D :-D

:-D :-D@ Sylvia!...
I edited with a coma just in case of that, but it still didn't read well :-D :-D

Shaun, Sorry to hear you have had a rough week. I hope you will have a better one this week. :-)xx

~~~~~~~~~~~~ to Everyone, Love Jem <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2017 21:28

Shaun ...........

I hope the weekend and next week are better for you xxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2017 21:27

Jem ................

I first read that as your mother was hung in 1725 :-0 ;-)

was wondering about the medical miracle that led to you :-D :-D :-D

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 4 Mar 2017 18:51

Hello you lovely peeps <3

Just booted up not long got in-doors, not been a good week but there are folk that have had a worse time and me so I can count my blessings.

Hope you are all managing ok or okish.

Will chat again.
night night <3

Von

Von Report 4 Mar 2017 13:40

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to Jem and anyone looking in.
Shaun - How's things in the cave?

Sunny here lets hope it lasts :-D

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 4 Mar 2017 13:20

Good Afternoon Everyone :-) :-) :-) <3

Chilly and grey here today on the South West Wales Coast.

As there's no rugby this weekend and OH is watching his beloved Man U downstairs, I'm taking the opportunity to get stuck in to more FH! :-D

Particularly as our Mr Magoo sent me a link for an intriguing webpage about a Pirate with the same surname as my mother, who was hung in 1725 :-D :-D :-D :-D

Hope you are all ok or ok-ish :-D :-D :-D :-D
Shaun, we'll get your new word in the English Dictionary yet! ;-) :-D :-D :-D

~~~~~~~~~ to Everyone, Love Jem <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 2 Mar 2017 13:13

Good Afternoon Everyone :-) :-) :-) :-)<3

It's a lovely sunny day here albeit slightly breezy and a bit chilly! :-D
I always love it when it's March .... cos then I think... great summer won't be long :-D

I been using my World FMP £1 Bargain.
I decided to Transcribe my 3x Great Aunt by marriage's mental hospital notes onto Word to print out to go with the Originals, as the doctor's handwriting is not good.
I am learning much more as I go along.

Poor woman went in after having what looks like a breakdown after great worry about her husband's illness and the suddenly reduced circumstances due to this, and I think she was madder after she was admitted. This hospital is where the term BEDLAM came from.

The one thing of note is that she was a big believer in homeopathic remedies in preference to the medical treatments of the time. As his medical treatment was not appearing to be helping her husband, she was trying to treat him herself. They certainly did not like this!

One of the gems the notes have yielded was that she was raving about the "Shah" and the doctor states that she did indeed once throw a handkerchief at the Shah.
This is huge... cos it means that not only was My Great Grandfather and his family in Persia while he worked for the British in close connection with the Shah ....... but also his Uncle and Aunt (the mad one) must have also been there at some time too! :-D

His Uncle (My 3x G.Uncle) actually did the same job in Malta (Chief Clerk and Telegrapher for the British) as My G.Grandfather did in Persia.
3x G.U. married his wife in Malta.
I found this info on a website online some time ago, after which I found corroborating info on GR and this linked all the loose ends up to verify I had the right family!

So, as you can see, I'm greatly enjoying my finds:-D :-D :-D

EDITED:.. Her Grandfather was General Henry Shrapnel inventor of the Schrapnell Shell :-D

Hope you are all having a good day <3

~~~~~~~~~~ to Everyone :-) :-) :-)
Love Jem <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Mar 2017 19:23

Happy St David's Day to you all xx

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 1 Mar 2017 15:51

St David's Day Live Welsh-Themed Entertainment on Radio Jem ;-) :-D :-D

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1364283?jump=1364283

Or you can use Radio Jem's Catch-Up Service ... ie click on the links of your choice at anytime ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 1 Mar 2017 15:31

Hello Mersey,Gwyn,Pat,Linda,Barbra,Von,AnninGlos, and Jem :-) Lovely to see visiting peeps wishing everyone a Happy saint Davids Day.

HAPPY SAINT DAVIDS DAY TO YOU ALL.

Bara Brith ingredients

450G/1lb self raising flour
1tsp mixed spice
175g/6oz Muscavado sugar
1 medium size free-range egg
1tbsp orange zest
2tbsp orange juice
1tbsp honey
300ml/½pt cold tea
450g/1lb mixed, dried fruit
Extra honey for glazing

How To Make It.

Put the mixed dried fruit into a mixing bowl, pour over the tea, cover and leave to soak overnight. The next day mix together the sugar, egg, orange juice, zest and honey, add to the fruit. Sift in the flour and spice, and mix well. Pour the mixture into a buttered loaf tin, 1.2L/2pt. Bake in a preheated oven at gas3/160c/325f for about 1¾ hours. The loaf should be golden in colour and firm to the touch in the middle. Baste with honey whilst still warm. Allow to cool thoroughly before storing in a cake tin.

The recipe for Bara Brith can be altered slightly by adding a few flavours. When soaking the fruit, substitute ¼ of the fluid with a whisky liqueur. Replace the honey and fruit juice with 2 tablespoons of marmalade. Alternatively, replace two tablespoons of fruit with chopped stem ginger, and replace the juice and honey with lemon marmalade, and the orange zest with lemon.

~~~~~~~~~~~

LEEK – BAKE.
4 tablespoons of plain flour , 30g butter , 350ml milk , 50g grated cheese , 2 leeks , cut into thin rings, and a sprinkling of salt and black pepper to taste. Ready in 30 to 45 minutes .
Quick and simple method.
Preheat oven to 200 c / or gas on 6, grease a baking dish.
Melt butter over a low heat and stir in floor until smooth.
Gradually stir in the milk and cheese until nice and creamy , add salt and pepper to your taste then remove from the heat.
Put your leeks into the greased baking dish and cover with the sauce and mix up a bit.
Then put in preheated oven , should be ready in 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve with a nice slice of ham or a baked potato.

Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~

St David’s Day Poem.

A land of rugged mountains
A land of finest slate
The sound of rushing rivers
Gives us cause to celebrate.

A land of ancient forests
Green valleys, grazing sheep
Gives the people of St David
A land they wish to keep.

Follow the red dragon flag
In parades led by Welsh bands
Raise voices in the choirs
To salute this lovely land.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 1 Mar 2017 15:04

Prynhawn da bawb - yn enwedig i bobol GR o Gymru heddiw, neu sydd a chysylltiadau Cymreig ............. Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus i chi gyd! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Good Afternoon Everyone - especially to GR people from Wales Today, or those who have Welsh Connections .... .......Happy St David's Day to you all!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Lovely to see Gwyn xxx Pat xxx Barbra xxx and Mersey xxx

~~~~~~~~ to Shaun Von, Ann, Linda and Everyone :-) :-) :-) xxxxx

Love Jem <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Mar 2017 11:51

Happy St David's day to all of you on here. :-) :-) <3 <3 <3 <3

Von

Von Report 1 Mar 2017 11:26

Happy St.David's day everyone.

Off to make cawl ;-) ;-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Mar 2017 11:04

Happy St David"s Day to All you Lovely People (((((Hug)))).Shaun <3

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 1 Mar 2017 09:23

Happy St David's Day

I have lots of daffy and leeks left over from Jens rugby thread, so I will decorate your thread beautifullly for you Shaun

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Mar 2017 09:22

HAPPY ST DAVID'S DAY <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

to all and wear your daffs with pride :-D

I qualify maiden name Lloyd :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Mar 2017 08:20

Happy St David's Day everyone.

Is anyone making Welsh cakes ?

Mersey

Mersey Report 1 Mar 2017 07:59

<3 <3 <3Happy Happy St David's Day <3 <3 to you all!!!

Mwahhhh <3 <3 <3 :-D :-D :-D