General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 9 + 1 of 878

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 1 Mar 2017 15:31

Hello Mersey,Gwyn,Pat,Linda,Barbra,Von,AnninGlos, and Jem :-) Lovely to see visiting peeps wishing everyone a Happy saint Davids Day.

HAPPY SAINT DAVIDS DAY TO YOU ALL.

Bara Brith ingredients

450G/1lb self raising flour
1tsp mixed spice
175g/6oz Muscavado sugar
1 medium size free-range egg
1tbsp orange zest
2tbsp orange juice
1tbsp honey
300ml/½pt cold tea
450g/1lb mixed, dried fruit
Extra honey for glazing

How To Make It.

Put the mixed dried fruit into a mixing bowl, pour over the tea, cover and leave to soak overnight. The next day mix together the sugar, egg, orange juice, zest and honey, add to the fruit. Sift in the flour and spice, and mix well. Pour the mixture into a buttered loaf tin, 1.2L/2pt. Bake in a preheated oven at gas3/160c/325f for about 1¾ hours. The loaf should be golden in colour and firm to the touch in the middle. Baste with honey whilst still warm. Allow to cool thoroughly before storing in a cake tin.

The recipe for Bara Brith can be altered slightly by adding a few flavours. When soaking the fruit, substitute ¼ of the fluid with a whisky liqueur. Replace the honey and fruit juice with 2 tablespoons of marmalade. Alternatively, replace two tablespoons of fruit with chopped stem ginger, and replace the juice and honey with lemon marmalade, and the orange zest with lemon.

~~~~~~~~~~~

LEEK – BAKE.
4 tablespoons of plain flour , 30g butter , 350ml milk , 50g grated cheese , 2 leeks , cut into thin rings, and a sprinkling of salt and black pepper to taste. Ready in 30 to 45 minutes .
Quick and simple method.
Preheat oven to 200 c / or gas on 6, grease a baking dish.
Melt butter over a low heat and stir in floor until smooth.
Gradually stir in the milk and cheese until nice and creamy , add salt and pepper to your taste then remove from the heat.
Put your leeks into the greased baking dish and cover with the sauce and mix up a bit.
Then put in preheated oven , should be ready in 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve with a nice slice of ham or a baked potato.

Enjoy.

~~~~~~~~

St David’s Day Poem.

A land of rugged mountains
A land of finest slate
The sound of rushing rivers
Gives us cause to celebrate.

A land of ancient forests
Green valleys, grazing sheep
Gives the people of St David
A land they wish to keep.

Follow the red dragon flag
In parades led by Welsh bands
Raise voices in the choirs
To salute this lovely land.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 1 Mar 2017 15:04

Prynhawn da bawb - yn enwedig i bobol GR o Gymru heddiw, neu sydd a chysylltiadau Cymreig ............. Dydd Gwyl Dewi Hapus i chi gyd! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Good Afternoon Everyone - especially to GR people from Wales Today, or those who have Welsh Connections .... .......Happy St David's Day to you all!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Lovely to see Gwyn xxx Pat xxx Barbra xxx and Mersey xxx

~~~~~~~~ to Shaun Von, Ann, Linda and Everyone :-) :-) :-) xxxxx

Love Jem <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Mar 2017 11:51

Happy St David's day to all of you on here. :-) :-) <3 <3 <3 <3

Von

Von Report 1 Mar 2017 11:26

Happy St.David's day everyone.

Off to make cawl ;-) ;-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 1 Mar 2017 11:04

Happy St David"s Day to All you Lovely People (((((Hug)))).Shaun <3

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 1 Mar 2017 09:23

Happy St David's Day

I have lots of daffy and leeks left over from Jens rugby thread, so I will decorate your thread beautifullly for you Shaun

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 1 Mar 2017 09:22

HAPPY ST DAVID'S DAY <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

to all and wear your daffs with pride :-D

I qualify maiden name Lloyd :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Mar 2017 08:20

Happy St David's Day everyone.

Is anyone making Welsh cakes ?

Mersey

Mersey Report 1 Mar 2017 07:59

<3 <3 <3Happy Happy St David's Day <3 <3 to you all!!!

Mwahhhh <3 <3 <3 :-D :-D :-D

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 28 Feb 2017 20:17

Posting this now just in-case I'm not able to tomorrow :-)

HAPPY SAINT DAVIDS DAY TOO EVERYONE <3

St David's Day is celebrated in Wales on 1 March, in honour of Dewi Sant or St David, the patron saint of Wales. Little is known about him for certain. What little information we have is based on an account of his life written by Rhigyfarch towards the end of the 11th century.

According to this Latin manuscript, Dewi died in the year 589. His mother was called Non, and his father, Sant, was the son of Ceredig, King of Ceredigion. After being educated in Cardiganshire, he went on pilgrimage through south Wales and the west of England, where it is said that he founded religious centres such as Glastonbury and Croyland. He even went on a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, where he was made archbishop.

He eventually settled at Glyn Rhosyn (St David's), in south-west Wales, where he established a very strict ascetic religious community. Many miracles have been attributed to him, the most incredible of which was performed when he was preaching at the Synod of Llanddewibrefi - he caused the ground to rise underneath him so that he could be seen and heard by all.

How much truth is in this account of his life by Rhigyfarch is hard to tell. It must be considered that Rhigyfarch was the son of the Bishop of St David's, and that the Life was written as propaganda to establish Dewi's superiority and defend the bishopric from being taken over by Canterbury and the Normans.

From the 12th century onwards, Dewi's fame spread throughout South Wales and as far as Ireland and Brittany. St David's Cathedral became a popular centre of pilgrimage, particularly after Dewi was officially recognised as a Catholic saint in 1120.

From this period on, he was frequently referred to in the work of medieval Welsh poets such as Iolo Goch and Lewys Glyn Cothi. In 1398, it was ordained that his feast-day was to be kept by every church in the Province of Canterbury. Though the feast of Dewi as a religious festival came to an end with the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century, the day of his birth became a national festival during the18th century.

Now March 1 is celebrated by schools and cultural societies throughout Wales. It is the custom on that day to wear either a leek or a daffodil.

http://www.stdavidscathedral.org.uk/index.php?id=678
http://www.castlewales.com/stdavid.html
http://www.stdavids.co.uk/stdavidscathedral.htm
http://stdavidscathedralfestival.co.uk/
http://www.stnonsretreat.org.uk/history.html
http://stdavids-peninsula.co.uk/historic-sites/st-nons-chapel-and-well/
Lovely photographs above.

Now the choirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn10tbDA_l4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HAPPY SAINT DAVID’S DAY.
Couple of recipes for you which I posted before for Saint David’s Day.

Otherwise known as Cawl this rich stew is the traditional meal celebrating the life and works of the Patron Saint of Wales.
These days the Cawl is eaten as single serving with crusty bread. In the old days, though, it would be a two-course meal with the broth being served first and then the meat and vegetable.
This is old-fashioned slow cooking at its best and will take you about two and a half hours.

Ingredients:
1 tbsp Lard
2 Onions, roughly chopped
4 Large Carrots, thickly sliced
1 small Swede, cubed
1lb Braising Beef or Neck of Lamb
1lb Smoked Bacon Joint, cut into pieces
12 Black Peppercorns
1 Clove
2 Bay Leaves
4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
Water or stock to cover
1lb Potatoes, cut into large cubes
4 Small Leeks, very thinly sliced for garnish

1. Heat the lard in a large saucepan or flame-proof casserole. Add the onions, carrots and swede and brown on all sides. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Cut meat into equal pieces, and add to the pan and brown on all sides.
3. Return the vegetables to the pan with the meat and add the bacon and herbs. Cover with water or stock and bring to the boil.
4. Skim the surface then reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring from time to time and keeping the liquid level topped up.
5. Add the potatoes to the pan and continue to simmer for a further 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
6. To serve - Garnish with lots of finely chopped raw leeks and PARSLEY SAUCE FOR VON :-D .

HAPPY SAINT DAVIDS DAY

ENJOY

~~~~~~~~~~~

WELSH CAKES <3
This is a quick and simple method, I usually soak the currents overnight in a little port or brandy.

1 lb plain flour
6 oz caster sugar
Half tsp mixed spice
Half tsp baking powder
10 oz butter
10 oz lard
6 oz currants
1 egg , beaten
splash milk

1.Tip the flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Then, with your fingers, rub in the butter and lard until crumbly. Mix in the currants. Work the egg into the mixture until you have soft dough, adding a splash of milk if it seems a little dry - it should be the same consistency as shortcrust pastry.

2.Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of your little finger. Cut out rounds using a cutter, re-rolling any trimmings. Grease a flat griddle pan or heavy frying pan with lard, and place over a medium heat. Cook the Welsh cakes in batches, for about 3 mins each side, until golden brown, crisp and cooked through. Delicious served warm with butter and jam, or simply sprinkled with caster sugar.

Enjoy.

Night Night
From the cave :-) <3

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Feb 2017 20:14

Hi

Shaun ........... we had about 2 cm of snow here this morning. Then the sun came out and it has all melted away.

We will be making pancakes for dinner ........... I make the batter from scratch suing an old English recipe, then we each cook our own.

OH tosses his, hasn't hit the ceiling (yet!!) though he did miss one many years ago and had to scrape it up from the floor.

We eat them with sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice, some spread on the flat pancake, then roll it up and put more sugar and lemon juice over the top.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 28 Feb 2017 19:15

Booooooooooooooooo from the white mountain :-)

Yes we have about half inch covering but a very bitter wind also, the daffs that were nice and upright are now flat, but I do have a couple of 6 inch pots by the back door which I will bring indoors shortly just in-case we have some more of the white stuff.

Have you all been getting pancakes down you ? I made a couple for OH she likes them quite thin and crispy round the edges teaspoon of sugar rolled then a good dollop of double cream and then a tablespoon of warmed up golden syrup pored over the top.

Hope you are all ok OR okish, sending cwtches to those who need them <3

Back in a bit

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 26 Feb 2017 12:49

Hello Everyone <3

Yvonne hope your cold have gone, don't worry about the snow it turned to rain :-)

Jem, you had better get a puppy as long as it is a Welsh Corgi :-)
I have just sent my ironing over by pigeon will pick it up at tea time. Look after your back Jem, I sat to much yesterday but your rugby thread is so friendly and lively I try to join in but I don't think I will be able to stay so long to day,we will see :-)

Hope everyone is ok OR okish

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 26 Feb 2017 12:12

Good Afternoon Everyone :-) :-) :-) <3

A damp and windy day here in South West Wales.

Back is killing me after leaning over my lappy all day yesterday lol :-D
But the fun of joining in with all my lovely friends on the Rugby Thread, as we watch the games together, makes it all worthwhile :-)

I had a new little visitor last night .... my daughter's new puppy.... it's making me broody :-D :-D
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/46951292

Shaun-
I wouldn't mind having some snow .... but only for a little while :-D <3

S&S
Thank you for your concern re Grandson. It is quite a worry.
I hope both you and hubby are much better soon, and that you find some interesting info on FMP. It's a great offer this time isn't it?! :-)

Off to do some ironing before the rugby today :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to Everyone :-) :-) :-)
Love Jem <3

SugarAndSpice

SugarAndSpice Report 26 Feb 2017 11:28

Been a while since talking to you all. Since husband came home from hospital he started a proper streamer of a cold then passed it on to me. I was just getting over my cold when son asked if he could bring his boys plus dog down to us for a few days. It was half term where they live. They stayed for a few days. Since then been using FMP's £1 offer to climb my tree. Weather here is pretty mild but have had rain and it is very damp out there.

Shaun, Please keep the white stuff on your mountain.

Von, Next doors' climbing rose is starting to bloom in my garden one or two shrubs are trying to put out new shoots.

GlossyAnn, Hope the operation gets done for daughter's new partner.

Linda and Sylvia, Hope your coughs/infections clear up properly very soon.

Jem, What a nasty fall G. son 1 had he and OH definitely need a bungalow. Little G.Grandson sounds as if he is coming on a treat.

Back to tree climbing .

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 25 Feb 2017 20:02

Hello Everyone <3

Hope you are all in good fettle and managing ok OR okish :-)

It is snowing here on the mountain " would you like some "?

Night night from the Flintstones <3 :-)

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 25 Feb 2017 12:52

Hello Everyone <3 :-)

Von it must be a lot warmer with you to have bees waking up so early, the trouble is that our winters are too mild and everything is getting confused " like meeeeeeeee" :-D

Jem your family history is fascinating :-D most of my lot were transported :-0 - ed only for pinching steep and horses :-D

Come On AnninGlos " YOU CAN DO IT :-D

GET READY TO RUMBLE, COME ON WALES.

Left twirl right twirl left twirl right twirl and shake it all about :-0 boogie to the right boogie to the left, left twirl right twirl and wave your pompoms in the air:-) left twirl right twirl left twirl right twirl and shake it all about :-0 boogie here and a boogie there left twirl right twirl left twirl right twirl and throw your pompoms in the air :-) ooh la la right twirl left twirl right twirl left twirl boogie here and a boogie there shake to the right shake to the left and wave your pompoms in the air :-)
:-D Oggy Oggy Oggy!Oi Oi Oi!Oggy Oggy Oggy!Oi Oi Oi!Oggy!Oi!"Oggy!Oi!
Oggy Oggy Oggy!Oi Oi Oi!:-D COME ON WALES <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lczkSRf1tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DfCA0aP7yQ

Beautiful Harp Playing :-)

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 24 Feb 2017 22:12

Thank You Ann <3 Von <3 and Shaun <3

Shaun, sorry to hear about the damages incurred to the roof your mates lambing shed. I hope any newborns are ok and thriving.

Well I found some fascinating records on FMP with my £1 Month World Sub!
I found the records of My 3x Great Uncle's young wife for Bethlem Mental Hospital including her case notes! These are for the period between Sept 1873 and August 1874 when she was discharged uncured. It makes for harrowing reading though!

From there I think she went at some point to Brookwood Mental Institution in Woking, as I found an 1881 Census some ago, that I thought was her (she has an unusual name and there are family links to Woking) but there were some inaccuracies.
Now with this new info, I believe it was her.
My 3xGreat Uncle had died in 1879 and she died in 1890.

Isn't genealogy fascinating :-D

~~~~~~~ to Everyone :-) :-) :-)
Love Jem <3

Von

Von Report 24 Feb 2017 18:14

Shaun
One of our local farmers lost their whole shed which blew onto the nearby busy road.
:-0 :-0 :-0

Luckily no-one was hurt and he hooked it up to a tractor and dragged it back.

On Monday I was amazed so see that when my crocus opened they were covered in bees. :-0 :-D :-D

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 24 Feb 2017 18:06

Hello Everyone <3

Anyone seen my cap it’s out there somewhere :-0 What a difference a day makes bright sunshine on the mountain to day but raining quite heavy here now.

Jem I’m so sorry to read about your GS it must be such a worry for him and his partner and of course you and family. Thinking of you <3 Good news that he did not break any bones when he collapse. I hope the authorities and care workers are able to find them ground floor accommodation soon.

Linda sorry that you are still having to put up with ear and throat problems although your cough as improved. Waving a magic wand so you will be able to enjoy your son’s wedding :-)

Von we are not too bad thank you, we have a lovely show of crocus, snowdrops and a few clumps of daffs.

Ann no damage done here but my mate lost the roof of is lambing shed and had to fix up a load of tarpaulins to keep baby lambs dry and warm.

Yvonne hope you are all ok I ecpect you are busy busy and busy.

Sylvia hope you are not in too much discomfort after your physio.

~~~~~ing to Mersey,Sallie,Hazel,Bethan,Brenda,Barbra,and anyone that pops in hope you are all managing ok OR okish :-)