General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 10 + 1 of 634

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 2 Feb 2011 21:34

It is very frightening what is happening in Queensland ,my homepage is the BBC on which I have local and worldwide news which is updated frequently.
There are bound to be causalities:(

What with that and Izzy's 2 lads Ash and his brother Matt both now being treated for Meningitis, my prayers are for the family, I feel I can't do any more posting on here tonight, I feel so sad, helpless and concerned .

Goodnight all
Sandie.x

Diane

Diane Report 2 Feb 2011 23:08

Hi Shaun and all other peep's

good to see your thread is doing so well shaun and hope it continues to do well, I may have been born in Wales but as I lived in Shrewsbury from the age of 6wks and them moved to Liverpool at the age of 6 I cannot speak or understand welsh but when I have more time I hope to learn, speak and understand my birth language.

We are in for a windy time ahead but I'm not complaining, compared to those in Queensland are wind's are babie's, I hope thing's start to improve for all those that have been affected over the last few week's by the flood's or this latest cylone.

Diane ( Liverpool Lass )

**~~**  Mad Moo  **~~**

**~~** Mad Moo **~~** Report 3 Feb 2011 00:35

COEEEEEEEEE

Can't resist joining in !!!

Love this thread !!!

As you can tell from my boardname I'm MAD, Live in Pembrokeshire, on the other side of the Cleddau River from Lynne ( Born & Bred ).
Tried living over the bridge but only lasted three months
Nice place to visit, but you can't beat the Green Green Grass of home.

Ta ta for now

Claire xxxxxxxxx

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 3 Feb 2011 10:32

Bora da, all.
Listening to the latest news from Queensland terrible damage ,just hope and pray there's no loss of life.
Lovely sunshine here this morning after a very wet and windy night.
The Air Force was also very busy through the night. Sandie, I noticed that Max Boyce is at the borough theatre, completely sold out, are you going.
Welcome to the thread Diane, nice to hear from you. Also welcome to Claire, you live in a lovely area, St. David's for ever.
Will catch up later, you all have a good day and stay safe.
Shaun

Kuros

Kuros Report 3 Feb 2011 10:40

Bore da. Just popping in for a short while. We're going to a funeral in Beaufort and then Llwydcoed later on. I had some really exciting news late last night. Ginny, who is still working tirelessly for me with my mum's family, has actually found a living relative in Florida. She's my great aunt's niece. The funny thing is we stayed near to where she's living a few years ago and visited the town where she's living. If only we'd known! I feel I must contact her so I'll probably write with some family details and see if she's interested.
Hubby's gone out for a while so I'm off now to tidy the freezer without him looking over my shoulder at what I'm throwing out.

Annie

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 3 Feb 2011 11:27

Hi folks~~~

Annie~~We live close to Thomas the Undertakers ,as you know. I noticed that their board was almost full funeral notices for this week, not Mr Cecil 's funeral you are attending by any chance ?

According to my BBC homepage there are no reported fatalities after the Cyclone, just let's hope there won't be.

Catch you later~~
Sandie.x

Kuros

Kuros Report 3 Feb 2011 11:37

No, I didn't know Mr Cecil. This name is Carter but it is in Thomas's place. It's the brother of my next-door neighbour. He died very suddenly last week. I saw a lot of notices in the post office in Beaufort this week. The window always seems to be full after a very cold winter.

I just finished the freezer in time but there was very little to throw out. We must have eaten more than I thought over Christmas.

Annie

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 3 Feb 2011 12:02

Sorry to hear that Annie.:(
I asked cos I worked with Mr Cecil's son,they live by Scaretts Club, and his funeral arrangements are same locations.

Shaun~~
Sorry I did see your Q to me but forgot to reply , those blinking mushrooms,phew ! A lot to answer for:)
No I don't have tickets for Max Boyce, I didn't realise he was appearing.
Shame cos I would have love to have gone, if it's where I think you mean,we locals call it Beaufort Ballroom, it's only a six min walk from me, and not far from Annie.
We did see him live yrs ago in our Local Leisure Centre, we were in the front row in the upstairs seating area, my BIL nearly fell over the balcony he was laughing so much:)

Sandie.x

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 3 Feb 2011 12:16

My twin sons went to uni in Wales and then stayed their! The bought a house between them, and worked in Wales until one went into the army, the other still lives and works there.

I thought that they were the only members of the family to live in Wales, well what a surprise I had when one direct line lived and worked in the same street as the eldest twin was also working in.the original building still stands BUT the ground floor is now a Chinese takeaway.

Wales is a stunningly beautiful country.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 3 Feb 2011 12:34

Welcome to the thread SpanishEyes, Yes, Wales is a stunningly beautiful country,
where are you based now?
Keep posting.
Shaun

Merlin

Merlin Report 3 Feb 2011 13:27

Afternoon all from a very mild and sunny East Sussex,hoping it keeps that way for a few weeks,trying to sort out the garden ( redoing it as it was a B bog when we moved here ) downsized from a very large one and miss it. Spanish Eyes, It is a wonderful country, however, its the People who make it what it is ,and even enhance it. Dizzie Lizzie sounds great, you should take it on.and then name your car "The Tin Lizzie".:o))))> Take care.**M**.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 3 Feb 2011 14:30

Good Afternoon Merlin and all the gang, here's a recipe for the weekend.
I prepare most of my meals the day before I wont to have them so I just got to throw them in the oven. You will need a deep pyrex dish, spuds , leeks , broccoli , cocktail sausages and cheese. Lightly brown sausage, boil spuds for mashing, boil or steam broccoli and leeks to your likening , slice leeks into half inch thick rings. Once all this is sorted you can fill your dish in what order you like, I do the following.
Layer of mash, layer of sausage, layer of leeks, another layer of sausage, layer of broccoli then top it with sharp cheese. It's cheap, quick and filling.
Chat later
Shaun

Merlin

Merlin Report 3 Feb 2011 14:36

Thanks Shaun, but I think I,ll Stick to my Steak at the moment,Meybe a few leeks on the side. Take care.**M**.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 3 Feb 2011 15:38

Hi Merlin~~
Strange....
Son and I were just talking about the size of gardens.
I've posted this before but not on this thread I'm sure, forgive me if I have it's down to those magic mushrooms Shaun thinks I'm on.
Paternal grandfather had a huge garden ,like an orchard , I suppose it was in a way ,there were at least 4 large apple trees. They were self sufficient with fruit and veg and he loved his flowers too. The land now has a large detached bungalow built on with quite still fair sized garden.
Dad had very large garden and also grew veg and he liked his flowers.
Ours is large, largest on the estate which was built in mid 60's.
Hubby also is a keen gardener, I like things low maintenance so tend to keep to shrubs, whilst hubby does the veg, lawns and the annual flowers.
Would hate to have a smaller garden.
Ours was unkempt ,to say the least, when we moved here.
The back garden was all grass gone wild, the front did have a few overgrown shrubs, and two rose plants.
Our soil is very heavy clay like and it's taken a lot of hard work to get it to it's current state. Tho the weather here takes it toll, front wall needs replacing now, frost has damaged the face of the bricks.

Talking veg, must go and prepare ours for evening meal
Bye for now
Sandie.x

Kuros

Kuros Report 3 Feb 2011 16:12

I'm back from the funeral. We saw people we haven't seen for years. We used to gather at weddings and now it's funerals. Such is life.You wouldn't believe the wind here. My son says if it gets any stronger they'll give it a name.
I'd better do some housework. I've done nothing today yet. I like the look of that recipe, Shaun. Might give that a try.

Annie

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 3 Feb 2011 16:51

Well the day started promising enough. Sunshine, blue sky, mild, and quite Springlike. Oh good I thought, a day in the garden.
Managed to get a few jobs done and went in for a quick lunch. Meanwhile the sun disappeared, the sky turned lead grey, and the wind got up. It also turned quite cold. Oh well - some other day - the forecast is not good.

It is sad Annie when we realise that the only time we get to see family and friends is at funerals. There are youngsters coming up in the family, so there will be more weddings. I will however, be so old by then that I'll probably not remember who they are lol.

Claire (Mad Moo) It helps to be a little mad these days - there are too many sane people about in my opinion. I'm quite happy in the asylum lol.

Shaun the recipe looks interesting - easy to do, and tasty. I shall give that a try, thank you.

~~~~~to Spanish Eyes, Sandie, and all on the thread.

Hwyl fawr,
Tec.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 3 Feb 2011 17:17

Evening one & all,

Well just had to chase my trolley down the Asda car park, crikey the wind gust just came out of nowhere........lots of the wet stuff with it! arrived home slightly soggy.

Annie G........we were talking about the same subject yesterday (funerals)...........saying we could do with a good wedding!

Hope you are all OK

Annx

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 3 Feb 2011 19:26

Regarding Welsh and English speakers. I have no objection to anyone speaking the language of their choice, but a communal language is necessary and most of the world understand English. What does annoy me is the extra expense in these times, of producing everything in two languages. It also makes for twice as much paper being used, with the translations. I have lived in Monmouthshire since 1940, and have seldom heard Welsh spoken, except when we had a stall on Abergavenny market and the Valleys people came to town. I heard as much French and German, of which I do have a smattering still.

Dermot

Dermot Report 3 Feb 2011 20:43

'A country without it’s own language is a country without a soul'.

(I forget who said this!)

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 Feb 2011 20:53

Hello Shaun and everyone. That recipe sounds good. I made curried sausages for tea last night and that went down very well. Another quick, cheap meal much loved by the men in the family:-))

The weather continues to be hot, humid and generally uncomfortable. Don't tell me you'd gladly swap your weather because I can assure you that you wouldn't like it:-(

By the way Dermot - your quote was by Pádraig Pearse.

Sue