General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 11 + 1 of 633

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 3 Feb 2011 21:16

Hi Jean,

I think it largely depends on where in Wales you live. I live in an area where a very large percentage of the population are Welsh speaking in their everyday lives, at home, in the shops etc. I believe it is a very important part of Welsh culture that our ancient language is preserved for future generations. However, I also believe that it must always be a matter of choice. I do not believe that a non Welsh speaking person is any less Welsh than a Welsh speaking one, assuming they are Welsh by birth.

I do take your point in utility bills etc being printed in both English and Welsh. Most people indigenous to this island understand and can read English. I cannot speak for anyone else, but being bi-lingual I am happy to have my bills sent in English if it saves money and paper. Some time ago I had a card from my electricy supplier asking if I was happy to recieve my bill in English only. I replied that yes I agreed to that, but nothing ever changed - bills continue to be sent in both languages.

I would always respect other peoples point of view on the subject, but am very wary of fanaticism.

Hwyl fawr,
Tec.

Sallie

Sallie Report 3 Feb 2011 22:09

Hello all, is it oaky if I join you all? I've been reading your thread Shaun, it's very interesting and especially the recipes.

Tecwyn, I'm Welsh, but I can't speak Welsh, although some members of my family spoke Welsh and English when I was growing up. My grandmothers family came from Carmarthanshire and Cardiganshire, many years ago, before she was born, so of course Welsh was their first language.
They all moved to Monmouthshire looking for work, and stayed there for the rest of their lives.....and that's where I was born and brought up.

Wales is a beautiful country, and I love it, although I no longer live there, but I try to visit my brother and his family, living near Abergavenny, as often as I can.

Sallie.

Von

Von Report 3 Feb 2011 22:17

Hi
My mother’s family were all Welsh speaking.
When I was about 3 yrs old I was sent from London to stay with my grandparents as my mother was ill and my father had to work. I was the only one who didn’t speak Welsh..My sister had been evacuated to Pembrokeshire during the war and was fluent in welsh.
My grandparents taught me to speak welsh quite quickly but I never learnt how to read the language.
Every year after that when we returned to Wales for our holidays we always went on the train from Paddington and when we got to Swansea we would start to speak Welsh so that by the time we got to Fishguard we had remembered most of it!!
Sadly now I have forgotten most of it and I really regret not having learnt to read and write it properly.
I guess it’s never too late to learn.
Take care
Von

Persephone

Persephone Report 3 Feb 2011 22:23

Shaun, I think you are a bit of a "Gordon Blue" cook with these tasty recipes. These sort of recipes are also great for kids, gets them eating vegetables that they don't think they like.
We grow a veg called Silver beet here and lots of it. Kids are usually not that fond of it and so after I had boiled mine for a bit would drain chuck in a pan and swirl around with cheese and tomatoes and my kids loved it. I told my friend that her daughter had two helpings of it and she said but she hates it and won't eat it. It's all in how you do it. My mother never realised that she would be stuck in her ways.

When we go to funerals or weddings I have to take a family tree of those that will be there for my OH so as he knows how we all fit in...... but I also have to do a tree of his family when we go to theirs. LOL

Persie

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 3 Feb 2011 22:41

S'mae Tecwyn~~

I totally agree with your posting re the Welsh Language.

I am not bi-lingual but did GCSE Welsh,we actually had Welsh lessons in junior school before it became part of the National Curriculum, I also did evening classes in Conversational Welsh a few yrs ago.
I wish I was fluent, but certainly not fanatical about it.

When my BIL first moved to Caernafon he was an Engineer with Manweb, and whilst all the other Engineers were bi-lingual, ( knew he wasn't) would often find himself excluded when they held held their meetings normally in English,and then small parts in Welsh.
He was told by a bi-lingual colleague , with whom he has remained very good friends for over 30 yrs, that he was seen as a newcomer and an ousider ,and what they discussed in Welsh (parts of which he could understand) was work related tips which they didn't want him as a new comer to know... Bit naughty eh !

His children are all bi-lingual, his ex wife who has also lived in North Wales, also now still on Anglesey, born in Abergavenny has never even been able to pronounce welsh words correctly, especially if they start with Llan , which she pronounces Clan.

I find North Wales spoken Welsh more difficult to understand, cos of accents and different words for the same things, the obvious being 'now'
--nawr in S Wales and rawn in N Wales, and of course different dialects, colloquial and slang sayings.

Sandie.

~~ to everyone who posted whist I was replying to Tec.

Diane

Diane Report 3 Feb 2011 22:43

Hi Shaun and all other peep's,

Shaun I have a similar recipe to the one you posted,
1 cauliflower
1 broccoli average size
3/4lb potatoe's
1 pk cheese sause
3oz grated cheese
oblong pyrex dish about 2inches deep

Boil cauliflower and broccoli in a pan till cooked
Boil potatoes and then mash them
Place cauli and broccoli in pyrex dish
Make cheese sauce and then pore it over cauli and broc
spread mash over this and then sprinkle grated cheese on top of mash
bake in the oven at about 200 degrees C, gas mark 6 or 400 fahrenheit for about 45/ 60mins or until cheese is golden brown.

You can also add fish to this recipe, putting cooked fish in dish first.

Diane

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 4 Feb 2011 10:35

Morning All,

Has the wind blown you all away in Wales!

Annx

Von

Von Report 4 Feb 2011 10:57

Ann
I was wondering that.
Maybe they'll pop in for coffee.
I'll just go and put the kettle on and set the welsh cakes out together with the Bara Brith.
Von

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 4 Feb 2011 11:38

Perhaps they will pop up for lunch Von!

Annx

Von

Von Report 4 Feb 2011 11:45

Hi Ann
Maybe. I've got to go and get on with some work now.I'll look in later.
Take care
Von

Persephone

Persephone Report 4 Feb 2011 11:48

I've just had a hot lemon drink and am off to bed, so will pass on the coffee Von....

It is 12.47am (your tomorrow) here

Persie and lots of sheep relatives of Shauns.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 4 Feb 2011 12:33

Sut mae all? Failed to chat last night no electric. What a windy night I think everybody had a pickle onion supper. Busy morning going round garden collecting pots, seed trays,buckets, watering cans and fleece. Poly-tunnel ruined, will have to get a new cover. Hello Jean, I think Tec answered your post very well, I agree with what he says 100%. Sally welcome to the thread and enjoy the chat. Von, I also regret not having learnt to read or write in Welsh. Persie, I have not come across this silver beet before. Hello Diane, it's surprising,from the simplest of ingredients you can make a lovely filling meal. Hello Ann good day to you, sorry you have had nobody to chat to. Von, see you shortly don't forget the clotted cream.
You all take care,be back later.
Shaun

Merlin

Merlin Report 4 Feb 2011 14:04

Sandie, The house we moved from was in over 3/4s of an acre,with lots of fruit trees,two greenhouses a chalet and brick workshop.it was just like a small Park with at least thirty trees in it plus scented bushes etc. the main tree was a very large "Ginko Biloba" in full leaf it was wonderful,used to grow loads of veg,give lots of the fruit away,but the house was far too big even though downsized to it.( the one we came from to there was a very large Victorian Villa which I had renovated.) its as windy as hell here today blowing everything over.Decided I,m going to Have Sausage and Mash with fried onions tonight.Yum.Hope you are all well. Take care.**M**. ps.just had an Email from Australia,It was 42c there. Rather Hot.

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 4 Feb 2011 14:22

Back after a couple of days!! not had chance to use computer much.
A windy night here,but not cold.No rain at the moment but a bit dull.
Daughter holed up in the Hilton in Melbourne,on her way to see another brother in Sydney for the week-end.It was the first flight to be cancelled and she's only there till Mon then back to Melbourne before her trip back to UK on Feb 22nd.They are having it bad in Victoria now!
The world's gone mad in lots of ways!!

Von

Von Report 4 Feb 2011 15:21

Hi All
I have a request does anyone have a time machine or crystal ball?
I've just received some seeds from a well known seed company and the instructions read
" Sow indoors 4-5 weeks before the last frost"!!!
As I'm not psychic I may need some help predicting the correct time to sow.

Its very blustery here in west London and the wind has taken the top off a palm tree that I have in a pot.
Take care
Von

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Feb 2011 15:33

just seen this thread!! very windy here in Cardiff - rugby tonight against England - most of our team out with injuries - roof will be closed on the stadium

I'm just off Jct 32 of the M4 - close enough to get to the coast and the beacons and my favourite stamping ground - Abergavenny which I visit once a month!!! lunch in the Greyhound - best place on earth to have a meal and shop

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Feb 2011 15:47

Von - to get the most accurate forecast for tomorrow, you should phone the Met Office on Sunday or Monday. They are practitioners of 'hindsight'.

They cannot direct the wind but they can adjust the sails.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 4 Feb 2011 16:19

Welcome to the thread Ann of Green Gables, I did mention you on the first post, ie sniffing Welsh air. Take care on that M4, will you be at the match.
shaun

Dermot

Dermot Report 4 Feb 2011 16:37

There are rumours on another thread that Prince Charles has Alzheimer’s.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Feb 2011 17:04

Very blustery and damp here in Gloucester, not nice at all.My father had a large garden with fruit trees and a large vegetable plot. When he was 70 we bought him a greenhouse which he loved and he continued to use it to grow tomatoes until he was 85, once my Mum died he gradually lost inteerest and then he had a stroke so couldn't manage the garden. He lived in Hampshire and we used to travel down one weekend a month taking our mower to do his four lawns and weed the flower beds. He could manage the pots if we set them up for him so he'd potter with those. It was sad to see him unable to enjoy gardening as he'd always done it. We have mostly had medium to small gardens and this one is no exception. But we are proud of the before and after photos. When we moved in here it was lawn and scrub with a wall garden built across the patio and steps up to the lawn put in so we had the bare bones. Now it is crammed full with shrubs and small trees, trellis dividing the garden up and a lower patio to sit out on in the evenings where it gets the evening sun. we love our garden. we did have one large garden when we were in our 30s and we grew a lot of roses and had a large veg garden with raspberry and gooseberry bushes.

That reminds me, when we had our first garden in 1962 we had some raspberry bushes and the raspberries were white and very sweet. has anyone seen those for sale at all?