General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 13 + 1 of 634

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Judith

Judith Report 5 Feb 2011 14:05

I live in South Wales and have lived here all my life. I am from the Cynon Valley originally but have lived in Cardiff since I was 16. I have been to some of the places mentioned for a holiday when I was a child, ie. Tenby and Aberaeron and I once got lost on the beach in Newquay, when we went there for the day, but that's a long time ago, i think it was 50 years ago.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 5 Feb 2011 14:29

P'nawn da to you all. Also Croeso to Judith enjoy the chat. The weather's still very windy and lights still flickering. Did any of you go to the rugby last night or did you stay in the warm? I enjoyed the match and like I said last night the best team won, England's got the next 3 games at H.Q so I think they are favourites now. Persie , you have got to have some fat on the lamb it helps to cook it, hope you enjoyed the stirfry. Well I'm going to watch Italy and Ireland but have a few jobs to do first otherwise the other-half will be getting round me, and we don't what that do we. You all have a good afternoon and take care. Back later.
Shaun

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 5 Feb 2011 16:53

HI thread~~

Really windy and wet here ...again !!

Ooh ..we have another Diane , hi and welcome~~ confused me for a bit ( doesn't take much) lol
I call Dianne (Liverpool lass ) Di, tho I'm not lazy with peeps names , I do abbreviate when I have affection for them. Pershephone is Perse to me.
Most rellies and friends call me Sand.:)
My best friend's brother is also very close.. He is Anthony, called by most as Tony, I love him to bits and along with his close family call him Tone :)

Hi Judith~~~Bet it was busy in the city last night, with the Rugby match, son was going to go with his mates, butt a 'friend' let them down with tickets, so he ended up watching it on his mates parents 50 inch TV...
Wow I thought ours was big !

Ann GG~~
Re the Greyhound pub and W'Spoons for the Aber meet perhaps one of us should pm Jude who is organising the mini meet in Abergavenny, to find out who going and see where they;d like to go.
I don't mind either or anywhere really ( well-- within reason).
I haven't dined or drunk in Aber for many yrs but know of their previous reputations.. other than W'spoons (asked cousin about that one lol)
I'd just like to meet peeps from GR :)

Bye for now ,
Must prepare some food.. what I call 'cafe' time again in our house, peeps eating at all different times !!!

~~to anyone not mentioned , catch you later

Sandie.x

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 5 Feb 2011 17:22

I think Jude has read about the Greyhound and Wetherspoons in another thread. She is going to Aber nearer the time to inspect re food and toilet facilities. We only have time for a fish and chip meal when in Aber, and not even that lately, none of those are suitable for a meet. Dont know what the Auberge is like, by Tesco.

Sallie

Sallie Report 5 Feb 2011 20:15

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all having a good day, it's wet and windy here today, so we've stayed at home....so at least now I have finished sorting out my card making stash, a good job done.

You all make me feel hungry on here, talking about all your recipes...unlike some of you, I'm afraid I not very adventurous when it comes to trying different recipes.lol!

We are going to my bother's within the next couple of weeks, I'm hoping to go to the Gwent Records Office while we are down there....trying to find out about my elusive Welsh ancestors, it isn't easy, as most of you probably know.

Speak to you later.

Sallie.x

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 5 Feb 2011 20:15

Noswaith dda to you all, hope you have all had a good day. Still very windy in Radnorshire but at least it's mild and dry. Since the trouble in Cairo there's little news regarding the cyclone in Queensland, I will have to ask SueMaid for a update. I was interested in reading your discussion on eateries in Abergavenny . When I was able we would go to Abergavenny every market day, I cannot think of the name of the place but it was at the top of the precinct right opposite the butchers on the corner. We were very pleased with the meals we had, they were cheep and the service was great. I reckon the best game so far in the six nations is France & Scotland. It was so entertaining,the tackles were so hard I could feel the impact . No more Rugby till next weekend, Wales travelling to Scotland. According to the Western Mail there's going to be a few changes, I reckon they should bring on Martin Williams alias Nugget.
Well you all stay safe I will chat tomorrow.
Nos da
Shaun

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 5 Feb 2011 20:17

Evening everyone,

Lights dimming again here in North Wales, wind getting up again also. Went to Liverpool this morning to the World Museum with my daughter SIL and grandchildren, a good day was had by all, especially as it is free!

Brilliant for the kids, lots of things to do and see and really nice coffee!

Annx

Persephone

Persephone Report 5 Feb 2011 20:33

We have just had Rugby Sevens Friday and Saturday here where everyone dresses up in fancy dress and they have a fantastic time. Sori we beat Wales 26 to 5 in their quarter final. Then we beat Oz 17 - 0 in the semi final and in the final NZ beat England 29-14 last night our time.
Not boring any of you? And lo and behold we managed to win a cricket match yesterday against Pakistan ( a sight we are not used to)

Sunday morning 9.30am and I think there will be a few nursing hangovers.

Persie

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 5 Feb 2011 21:24

Hi thread peeps~~~

Good on your lot for those wins.Perse
I used to love to watch the Rugby with hubby,.... but very critical of them when they play badly... says, the way they are playing they don't deserve to win , which they haven't. He's not just an armchair critic , he was a good player who played for the Welsh Youth team .
I was blamed for him stopping playing , cos we rekindled our school hood 'friendship' and he had more time for me than rugby ..Great aint it :) lol
I taught him to play Squash instead ... (with racquets ! **) being a good athlete he was good at that as well and played in the first team for our local town.

Can't think of the pub / restaurant you mean Shaun, but then other than the Greyhound, Hen and Chickens, The Angel and the pub close to the Railway Station are the only one I've been in.
They were either for office do's..or in the case of The Angel Hotel the annual Young Farmers do...many yrs ago:)
I think the one you are referring to Ann GG, Auberge may have previously been The Herefordshire House, if not it is in a very close location.

Sandie.x

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 5 Feb 2011 21:43

Hello Shaun the Sheep and everyone else - very hot here already although it's only 8:45 am. Due for a cool change today to break this heat wave. Can we do a swap - some of our heat for some of your cold. That should even things up nicely:-))

Sue x

Edit - if you want to see a photo of Shaun - here he is

http://www.shaun-sheep.com/shaun.htm

*giggle*

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Feb 2011 22:02

evening peeps, just tonight i read this thread and enjoyed it so much, decided to add a little.

im not from wales, but in 1985, stayed in a lovely b &b in tenby and then toured around. met some fab people and very friendly.

in 1993 had a hen weekend in a little place about 3 miles from abergaveny. the black mountains were just at the back of our farmhouse.

about a mile from there was a lovely old pub which served really yummy home made food. this pub used to be an old courthouse and still had a lot of original features, but for the life of me, cant remember the name of the village or the pub. does anyone know where i mean?

my friends and i climbed sugar loaf mountain and the view from the top was wonderful.

so my memories of visiting wales were lovely and given the chance would gladly go back again.

hope those that can make the meet have a great time and no doubt will hear all about it in due course.

yakki dar
florence
(not too sure aabout the spelling!!!)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Feb 2011 22:10

forgot to say we had horrendous wind here on thurs eve 103 mph. the electric went off at 9pm and didnt get it back until 5pm fri and it was baltic. never been so cold. just an open fire as the rest of heating is oil but needs electric to run pump.

only good thing was myself and the teenagers all sat together in one room and actually talked and laughed together, which doesnt happen very often whilst oh was on nite shift. it made a nice change with no tv, comp or x-boxes, but glad tonight we are back to normal with full heating, its still perrishing cold up here in the outer hebrides.

florence

Persephone

Persephone Report 5 Feb 2011 22:16

We did that one night Florence, we were looking after our grandchildren the youngest was only about 4 then and the other 2 would have been 8 and 11. A car had hit a pole down the road and the power was out. So we played candlelight games with them so different from being on the computer or watching the TV. They thoroughly enjoyed it and told the parents when they got home that it was the best night they had ever had with us baby sitting.

Persie

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 5 Feb 2011 22:19

We had a power outtage early one evening so we went out and sat on the verandah as it was lighter outside than inside. We met the new neighbours over the road and a family who moved in a couple of months earlier a few houses away from us. Now we always speak when we see each other.

Sue x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Feb 2011 22:21

persie, im sure that if my daughter spends anymore time chatting online she will forget how to have a normal conversation with real people and same goes for my son lol .
florence

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 5 Feb 2011 22:22

I think a lot of people would agree with you Florence lol

Sue x

Persephone

Persephone Report 5 Feb 2011 22:26

My granddaughters are always on facebook and their mother goes on there of a night and plays the games to all hours. I go onto facebook and there is her with pages and pages of playing farmville etc

So yes you are right Florence... LOL

P xx

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 5 Feb 2011 22:26

Hello Florence,

Everyone is welcome on this thread whether they are Welsh or not! lol

I heard that the winds were 90mph+ in your neck of the woods, it was bad here in Wales also , and remains so tonight with the winds getting up again.

Glad you enjoyed your visits to Wales, I love Scotland and hope to return in the summer. A few years ago I took my dad to Fort George, my grandfather was stationed there in 1906.......a truly lovely place with stunning views..........and the dolphins wonderful!

Also had a week on Islay, my grandfathers home in the late 1890's. Hope you enjoy the thread!

Annx

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 5 Feb 2011 22:30

Evening all:o)

Have updated the Mini Meet in Abergarvenny thread:o)

Blinky chilly and windy here, but not that windy!!

nite nite:o)

jude

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Feb 2011 22:37

sue and persie as "B.T" once said . "its good to talk lol"

ann glad you have been up to scotland and enjoyed. there is something special about the islands though, i have not found anywhere else on mainland scotland. i guess being a community where we all know everyone and help out when needed is what binds us together. im sure in rural wales in the villages its probably the same. i wouldnt go back to a mainland town or city now after 17 years.

went to orkney a few years ago and would go again. one of the most child friendly places we have ever been to. everywhere welcomed families and getting a fam room was no trouble. great place for a holiday.

thankfully wind is right down tonight and all is calm again. hope your "breeze" doesnt become a gale!
florence