General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 14 + 1 of 633

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 5 Feb 2011 22:48

Hi Florence~~

The more the merrier, I'm sure Shaun would agree.

My ex step BIL renovated an old Court house in Raglan just outside Abergavenny, kept original features ( he's Sicilian) kept the name The Old Courthouse.
There is another pub a few miles outside Aber renown for hangings.. so may have been a Courthouse ( been there once, lovely food )..I can't think of the name or the village, that's nearer the Black mountains so probably that one. My brain will get into gear soon and I'll remember it.
Will let you know.. a teaser for me to figure out which one it may have been:)

Sandie.x

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 5 Feb 2011 22:59

Sue Maid~~~Hi hun

That's a cheeky one of Shaun the sheep..Nice one !

Hi Jude~~~
I always think of 'Hey Jude' when I write that.lol..will check out your thread:)

Florence~~
I live in Beaufort I think that is why they classify winds as on the Beaufort Scale !!

Sandie.x

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 5 Feb 2011 23:01

~~~~~~~to Sandie - talk later I'm off for the day:-))

Sue x

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 5 Feb 2011 23:27

Bit late Sue~~

But have g'day:).......Sandie.xx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Feb 2011 23:30

hi sandie, yes it was famous for hangings and very near to the black mountains. its niggling me as i should be able to rember a fab weekend but old age doesnt come easily and my memory is fading away i think!

i try to learn something new everyday so it its true about the name beaufort where you live, thanks for that fact. just hope i can remember it lol.
florence

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Feb 2011 23:51

Beaufort features in Alexander Cordell's book - "Rape of the fair country"

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 5 Feb 2011 23:52

Florence...........I enjoyed every minute of being in Scotland, my poor father was so overcome having walked in his fathers footsteps, something he had always wanted to do.

The wind at the moment is howling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nos Da (goodnight)

Annx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Feb 2011 23:54

when is this Abergavenny meet then - can't locate the thread

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 6 Feb 2011 00:27

8th of April Ann,.. it's on General.
I'll nudge the thread for you.
Sandie.x

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 6 Feb 2011 01:46

Ann GG~~

Haven't read Rape of the Fair Country in full, but knew that about Beaufort , and that and the follow up related to this area. There is a pub (back on pubs !) locallly above Govilon called ' Cordell's'..supposed to be very good, haven't been there,but it has a good reputation for food.
Must go there some time and try it out...but we tend to eat in nowadays.
I can cook as well as most good eateries, so we tend only to eat out on special occasions.....so I don't have to spend the time in the kitchen.:)
Hope you can come to the Abergavenny meet:)

Florence~~
Lol,No just joking about the Beaufort Scale,as you may have guessed:) just so happens that we have very high winds :) Just googled it..
The Beaufort scale was created in 1806 by Sir Francis Beaufort to measure wind forces at sea.
We are 1350ft above sea level,but no wonder the village was called as such with the high winds we get.!

Sandie.x

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 6 Feb 2011 10:09

Bore da Everybody. Hope you are all well and safe. Another very windy night, the trees at the back of cottage were banging together all night, what a racket, lot of wood down this morning.Wind not so rough now but heavy rain so it's a day indoors I think. SueMaid ,your a star! thank you for the link re shaun the sheep my grandson loves him to bits.
Florence, great to hear from you ,welcome to the thread and enjoy the chat.
Sandie , this place I'm trying to remember opposite the butchers it was huge inside there must of been 50 odd tables. Before you go inside you will see on the right side of door a large shutter where they did take away meals, such as pork baps , breakfast rolls very good. Persie, glad you enjoyed the rugby sevens,how's your head?
You all have a good day.
Chat later.
Shaun

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 6 Feb 2011 10:38

Shaun....l know the place you mean, we went in there about a month or so ago, did'nt think that much of it really, it was ok!! Its always busy though. There is an upstairs too.

Morning all.....still windy here. Just fed the birds, mind you they had left alot from yesterday.
Vic has gone on a ramble to Redbrook, just on the boarders of England and Wales, lovely all round that area:o)

Our first real memories of Wales were at St Clears Carmarthanshire. We stayed on a farm there with family and 2 sisters with their families:o)) fantastic times were had for a few years:o)

Favourite part of Wales now is Elan Valley:o)

jude

Florence61

Florence61 Report 6 Feb 2011 10:43

sandie. i found it. the pub is called the skirrid inn. the village is called llanvihangel crucorney. we stayed in a b and b about a mile from the pub.

such memories
florencex

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Feb 2011 10:45

that place that does the take-away meals looks and smells good as you pass by but appearances are deceptive!!

You must read Rape f the Fair Country Sandie - I'm re-reading it at the moment, it's wonderful - actually bought the book in Aber in the little bookshop on the corner by the market

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 6 Feb 2011 15:07

Hi thread peeps~~

Florence~~
...Beat me to it re the Skirrid, it is also a name of one of the mountains around Aber.. I knew the village was Llanviangel something, but there are so many in that area, Crucorney, Crosseny to name but a few.
this is the link to it
http://www.haunted-hereford.co.uk/the-skirrid.html

Know the bookshop you mean Ann..must get around to finishing the book:)

Even with Ann's further explanation ,I can't visualise the eatery you refer to Shaun, but..will suss it at the Aber meet ..if not before, my aunt and 3 cousins live in Aber and we speak on the phone every week.

~~~~ to anyone I've not mentioned
Be back later , off to check out a few other threads and emails.

Sandie.x

welshbird201

welshbird201 Report 6 Feb 2011 15:58

Hi Shaun and everyone else
I don't live in Wales, but Iam Welsh and very proud of it. It is the most beautiful county in the world. North Wales, especially, but I'm just biased.

Hwyl fawr
Welshbird

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Feb 2011 16:03

that eatery is between the jewellers which is on the corner of the little arcade that leads to Thayers and Superdrug - and one of the coffee shops - Nero or Costa

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 6 Feb 2011 16:03

Hi Welshbird - croeso

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 6 Feb 2011 16:21

P'nawn da Pawb and welcome to the thread Welshbird enjoy the chat.
Thank you to the ones trying to find the name of this eatery for me, it's doing my head in, the times we have had a meal there is nobodies business.
It's been several years now since we were in Abergavenny,we miss it a lot.
Weather not nice windy,wet and foggy but very mild for the time of year.
Back later.
Shaun

Kuros

Kuros Report 6 Feb 2011 17:02

Nicholls in Aber is a lovely place for a snacky lunch. You have to go through the shop to get to the eating part. Lovely things in the shop, too.

That's driving me mad as well now, Shaun. I'm going to Aber next week so I'll have to have a look.

Annie