General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 16 + 1 of 632

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Von

Von Report 7 Feb 2011 11:21

Bore Da
Hope everyone is well.
~~~to Sandie.
I listen to the radio a lot and I heard the report about the flooding on the early evening news.
Do hope the weather has improved.
Take care
Von

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 7 Feb 2011 11:59

I am just looking in to see if it is safe to post without Sue telling me off.
I am not Welsh, but I have had many holidays in Wales, plus I have a Welsh speaking brother in law who hails from the Rhonda valley. I have been there, but can't remember the name of the town, something to do with Herbert I think.

Does this qualify me to post on this thread?

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 7 Feb 2011 12:02

Bora Da everybody. What a weekend it's been with this wind lot of wood down. Has anybody had problems getting on Genes? for some reason I could not last night. The electric was flickering a lot last night but I had no problems with other web-sites. Re``Rape Of The Fair Country`` would I be right in saying that there was a documentary made about it? Glad you enjoyed my photo that SueMaid posted. Sorry I'm late Annie HAPPY BIRTHDAYx.
Tec how are you, I bet it's windy in north wales. Yes the thread is going very well. Sandie, your post about films with a welsh flavour is brilliant .
Von nice to see you on thread, take care. I have heard that the river wye as burst it's banks in several place. I have not heard about the floods in powis though .

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Feb 2011 12:07

don't forget the Welsh version of Silence of the Lambs - "Shurrup Ewe"

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 7 Feb 2011 12:08

Croeso Lindain , you are more than welcome. I shouldn't think Sue will tell you off, what have you done wrong anyway? Lovely area the Rhonda Valley so you qualify.
Shaun

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Feb 2011 12:09

course you can post Linda - and as for the Prince of Wales - I for one don't want to have him as our Prince - rather not have one at all

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 7 Feb 2011 12:21

Firstly belated happy birthday to Annie, loved the cake! Gales here again this morning in the North of Wales, had a job to open the car door!

Hello Linda.........its Treherbert.

Keep warm & dry everyone!

Annx

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 7 Feb 2011 12:27

Ann of G G.
There's only one Prince of Wales and that's MAX BOYCE.
Shaun

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 7 Feb 2011 12:35

Ah yes of course it is Treherbert, I have been there twice, but not for a long time as my brother in laws parents died some time ago and he now lives in Shropshire

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 7 Feb 2011 16:00

Hello thread, just heard this joke on radio.

My Dads a dustman and he picks me up from school,
not that I'm ashamed of him being a dustman but I don't
know what day he will be coming.
BOOM BOOM
I think I'm due for a lie-down.
Shaun

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 7 Feb 2011 16:57

Hello Gang, I'm back.
Men's computer gender group .
The men's group decided that computers should definitely be female: La Computer' because (1) No one but their creator understands their internal logic, (2) The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else. (3) Eventhe smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for possible later retrieval. (4) As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your pay cheque (check) on accessories for it.

Women's computer gender group.
The women's group however, concluded that computers should be male : Le Computer, here is the ladies reasoning. (1) In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on. (2) They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves. (3) They are supposed to help you solve problems , but half the time they are the problem. (4) As soon as you commit to one, you realise that if you'd waited a little longer, you could have got a better model.

Who do you think won the gender argument?
Should it be LE COMPUTER or LA COMPUTER?

Answers on a post card please.
Chat later
Shaun

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 7 Feb 2011 19:38

Now do you really want an answer to that?

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 7 Feb 2011 19:39

LOL Shaun - La Computer - no doubt about it.

Welsh nick names. Some appeared on another site, some I've collected,
some I have known, or know personally. Here's a few. A little knowledge of Welsh is needed to understand some.

Jack Spaniel. Idris Old Sport. Arthur Ta Ta.

Bobby Ginger, Fred Banjo, Ned All Round,

Snowballs, Sali Fechan, Isaac y Brat,

Harold y Mule, Bob Night and Day, John Cwrw Deg,

Bobi Rabbit, Jack Donkey, Dafydd Come On,

Maggie Fawr, Peter Chocolate, Bill Woodbine,

Teddy One Leg, Charlie Thingyless, Charlie Thingyeye,

Maggie Cachu Syr, Belly Pork, Twm y Mochyn,

Dic y Cloc, Cachu Caled, Charlie Pretty Girl,

Nedu Concertina, Betsi Never, Bob More Ale,

Glyn Fat, John Do-ra-me, Mrs Hughes Salvation,

Hughes So Long, Thingy Spingo, Black Sal,

La La, Mrs Whiskers, Bertie Goose,

Dic Doc, Bob Pwnch, Gwilym Sbwnjcake,

Neli Back Door, Bob y Clog, Nansi Fish,

Dilys Chips, Owen y Go, Betsan Jones Swanci,

Llew y Tiger, Tommy My Rag, Tomos Huws Iesi Grist,

Ted Wait-a-minute, Ned Tomato Sos, Polly Lamplight,

Dic Two Heads, John Dwy Wraig, Emyr Pwff Pwff,

Tommy Cachu Pants, Huw -tell-me-mam, Freddie Pen Mawr,

The origins of some of these are fascinating. Some best left to your imagination lol. There are more, but this will do for now.

Hwyl fawr,
Tec.

Sallie

Sallie Report 7 Feb 2011 20:36

Hi Tec, I love all the nicknames, some of them reminds me so musch of the town that I was brought. The trouble was that there were so many names the same that people were given nicknames to distinguish one from another.

There were only four Vaughan families in our town, two of which were my husband's, his father was known as Vaughan the fruiterer,and his uncle was known as Vaughan the electric., as they both kept shops.

Also there was a family known as the Yankees, the family's surname was Jones, not sure where the Yankee bit came from.lol!!

Some other names I can remember, is Alice Pen Mawr. Dai Ty Cwtch, and Maggie Llangurig. One well known family were known as Patch, because their ancecestors owned a field known locally as the Patches.
Their surname was Davies, but I didn't know that and one day when I was walking home from work, I spoke to the lady next door to us who married into the family, and of course, I called her Mrs Patch
My mother was not pleased!!lolol!!

These are only a few of the names that I can remember. Just rememberer another name Tom Boom Boom, so called because he played the organ much too loud in church.

Hope everyone's okay.

Love, Sallie.xx

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 7 Feb 2011 20:43

Hello Shaun and everyone:-))

Shaun - sometimes I need to keep Linda in line. Just watch out for the Aussie thread gang - every now and then they play up and you'll need to - shall we say - curb their enthusiasm:-))

Sue x

Von

Von Report 7 Feb 2011 21:12

Tecwyn
Loved the nicknames. What colourful characters. I guess with all the surnames being the same you needed some distinguishing features.
I have a couple that I remember
Martha self raising and Miss Richards wellington boots.
Take care
Von

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 7 Feb 2011 21:16

Hello Sallie,

I think that the reason nick names are so common among the Welsh is that with so many having the same surname in a community it's the only way to identify who is who.
Some names relate to their occupations, peculiarities, or place of origin.
Sometimes I have wondered how on earth did they get that name, but didn't dare ask if it wasn't obvious - also I think not everyone can know what they are known as, some would be insulted lol.

Hwyl fawr,
Tec.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 7 Feb 2011 21:22

Hi Von,

Some of the names are amusing
I shall add the names you gave me to my collection if you don't mind. The same with yours Sallie.
If anyone else has any to add I would be grateful.

Tec.

Sallie

Sallie Report 7 Feb 2011 21:43

Hello Tec,

That was undoubtedly the reason why nicknames were so common among the Welsh, and I think that a lot towns and villages had some nicknames that were same in the next town to them, too.

It's amazing how they managed to put so many names to so many people.

Hello Von,

I haven't spoken to you before, at least I don't think so. Not sure where you are from or where you live.
I was born and bred in SE Wales, but for the last 38 years, we have moved about a bit. For last 32 years I've lived in SE Derbyshire, just on the border with Nottinghamshire.

Love, Sallie.x

Sallie

Sallie Report 7 Feb 2011 21:46

Hello Tec, yes that is fine with me, if I remember anymore I let you have them.

Love, Sallie.x