General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 17 + 1 of 633

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 7 Feb 2011 21:49

Thanks Sallie,

Just had a thought - wonder what I'm known as............?

Maybe I'm better not knowing LOL.

Tec.

Von

Von Report 7 Feb 2011 21:51

Hi Sallie
I live in West London.My mother's family were Welsh and I spent a lot of time in Pembrokeshire when I was small.
Take care
Von

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 7 Feb 2011 22:59

When I lived in and around Barmouth we had....

Johhny Fish,the post,...He used to be a fishmonger and then a postman.

Jim the garage.

Griff the bara...baker.

Morris the milk

A lot of the older people always used Mr and Mrs,so we had ...
Mrs Jones the dressmaker,Mrs W D Jones.I'll probably think of more,but those are the ones that stick in my mind at this time of night!

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 7 Feb 2011 23:27

Hello Brenda,

These names are interesting, and sometimes funny.

The wind was screaming across the bay last night, and up the Mawddach, I thought we would be blown away. It's dropped now, so hopefully a peaceful night.
The Dovey bridge is flooded at Machynlleth, so a long detour round for Aberystwyth - not that I'm going there lol.

Nos da,
Tec.

Von

Von Report 8 Feb 2011 10:00

Bore da
Sut ydych chi heddiw?(hope that's correct as it's courtesy of google)
I do hope the rain has eased. It's supposed to be sunny everywhere today - just hope they are right.
Take care
Von

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 8 Feb 2011 10:14

Bore da, gang. What a lovely sunny morning, very hard frost mind you but we don't mind that if the rest of the day is sunny. **Ann**, Annie G, Ann of G G, Florence, Jude and Sandie where on earth were you all last night, missed your chat's. Hope you are all okay. The response to the survey I posted yesterday was poor only two replies, at the moment it's La Computer 1 and
Le Computer 1, are there any more votes to come in ?
Have a good day, back later.
Shaun

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 8 Feb 2011 10:51

LE Computer - Mr Shaun:-)))

Sue x

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 8 Feb 2011 11:09

Lovely sunny day here.Pleased about that.I am going out this afternoon for a couple of hours while OH has his "baby sitter" as he calls it.
Must say that the windmills I can see out at sea look lovely in the sunshine.

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 8 Feb 2011 12:24

Hello all:o))

Le-Computer for me too:o))

We had quite a heavy frost this morning, starting to clear now.
There are blue clouds and the sun is shining....maybe l ought to get some washing out!

Like the joke earlier Shaun re the dustman:o)) lol

Going into Abergavenny tomorrow with sister, so might do some sussing out re the meet:o)

Byeee
jude :o) x

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 8 Feb 2011 14:24

Annie G......how exciting, l do hope you get a reply:o)

My washing is out there but don't know if it will dry or not. l'm trying to make a card for a 19yr old lad but not havingmuch success at the moment. l want to put a photo of him on the front but me coloured ink has run out...grrrrr...he'll have to do with black and white!!

jude :o)

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 8 Feb 2011 14:38

S'mae pawb~~................. Hi all.

Hi Shaun~~
Re survey.. go with Sue and Jude.. It's Le Computer for me for me too ! :))
Dustman joke a good one:)
BTW , please don't take this the wrong way , but it's Bore da.
Written Welsh compared to spoken Welsh, quite different ,as also is spoken is in the North and South.
Welsh is a difficult language to master, I haven't done it yet, lol don't think I ever will not living in a Welsh speaking community.
I'm back down to basics and idioms now :(

Tec~~~
Shwd wyt ti heddiw ?

Hope Duchess leg is improving, and Ianto is not playing you up too much.
Bless, I hope he's OK also

My dad's paternal uncle was Jonnie the Oil (his surname was common in the village as in Wales. lol... No it was not Jones )
A maternal uncle of his was Tom the Cobbler, for obvious reasons, with his occupation.. would have been Tom Tom nowadays:) or Sat nav.lol
I can't find the thread that had the comical nicknames of Welsh peeps, different to yours Tec, perhaps the originator has deleted it, shame !

Jude~~~
Hubby was in Aber this morning, had to take the car into the garage for a recall on some possible fault. Garage in Llanfoist so he walked into Aber, rather than wait in the garage. He has some bargains on the market..One being a huge pack of Oregano for a £1,in the indoor market, we use loads of it for Pizzas . Schwartz is expensive.
Also a tin of 'well known' metal protective paint for our driveway gates, at a 3rd of the price in the shops. He'd better open it soon and paint the gates, otherwise it may go solid, sell by date is OK tho.
I was going to go with him, but felt a bit under the weather ( not Seedy.. Tec and Sue will know what I mean).. I did have a migraine an hr later , so glad I didn't go.

Annie~~
I have a lineful of washing out too, there's a bit of wind so some of it may dry. Put out a line of towels yesterday, smaller dried , but had to tumble the rest.
Love Dai Cube :)))

Hubby's in the garden, I can hear him clipping back the fuchsias, and see him picking up those plastic pieces that have blown from somewhere down the street. It will look a bit tidier then.
Beautiful blue skies ,but still chilly out of the sun.

Catch you later~~
Hwyl fawr.

Sandie.x

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 8 Feb 2011 16:04

Tec ~~

One I recall from the Welsh nickname thread was :-
Dai 6mths.. he had one ear removed as a result of a mining accident.

Sad for Dai, but it's best to make fun of ourselves, than to made fun of !

Sandie.x

I wish whoever put up that thread I found that on had not deleted it, it was a really good one.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 8 Feb 2011 16:31

Afternoon everyone!

Been over the border into Chester today........passport not needed! lol

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine today, looke like another frosty night instore. Will have to get my skates on now.......cooking a roast tonight for dinner........OH will think he has come home to the wrong house!

Annxx

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 8 Feb 2011 17:20

Hi All~~~
Gawsh you have to keep reading back on this thread , otherwise you miss something. Used to be like like that on the numbers thread, shame but we've lost our 2 dear Aussie friends, Jackie and Daph,who don't post any more. We e.mail each other tho:)
Jackie would be on this thread I suspect as she once lived in Wales.

Brenda~~~
Love... Johhny Fish ,the post as a Welsh nickname / local k/a :))

Von~~
Di iawn diolch.... in response to your correct posting in Welsh.
We've had a beautiful day today, but it's gone cloudy now, my heating has come on, temp has dropped and as I'm a cold person had to put a scarf on to bring in the clothes from the washing line, which did dry :)

Ann~~
I've never been to Chester, BIL use to work in Wrexham,(I've been there..smashing place to eat and shop ) he's lived in N Wales for over 30 yrs, he says it's a very pleasant town. Men aren't really into shopping are they:) My ex SIL used to love going shopping there.
Hope you had a nice day:)

Must dash>>
Food time!
Suspect hubby's already started it.. so I may get black looks !

Sandie.x

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 8 Feb 2011 18:52

Noswaith dda Pawb, Have you all had a good day and behaving yourselves?
By the looks of it JUDE'S going to suss out a venue for ``The Meet``I wish one of you said. I've been very busy mending the Tee Pee and cleaning all the utensils. Thank you SANDIE for correcting me re Bore Da, of course I don't mind,I have rectified it now. Hello **Ann** hope you enjoyed your visit to Chester , lovely walled town and a lot of history. Going on the vote I think we are in need of more male posters,the vote is not fare I'm well out numbered .
Back later.
Shaun

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 8 Feb 2011 19:41

I think it is the ladies who win, as they have it right about the men.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 8 Feb 2011 20:05

Hi Jean, You don't mean that do you?
We are not that bad are we?
Shaun

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 8 Feb 2011 20:19

Evening All,

Well the roast went down a treat, but not all the washing up afterwards! grr

Love Chester, my 2 children were born there (hangs head in shame) I lost the toss over them being W or E........however my 2 grandchildren were both born Wrexham........Hurrah!

Sandie..........my dad was a serving police officer in Wrexham and still lives there, well when he is not doing a bit of courting in Bidulph!!

Taking little grandson to cinema Friday to see Animals United....looks good fun.....anyone seen it??

Annx

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 8 Feb 2011 20:57

Sandie...forgot to ask...'how are you now, hope headache has gone' ??
whats with seedy??
Yes Shaun...we might suss out a few places:o))...l'm driving though so will be drinking coffee:o((

Off now to watch new drama (sci fi) 'Outcasts'.

jude.

PS...Ann....l like the idea of a roast on a Tuesday:o) we had salad...lol

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 8 Feb 2011 20:58

i live on angelsey.x